Traffic moving up. Is Google making nice since the design change?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (37 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Interestingly, site traffic has been moving up since the design change. We know HP ran the new ad layout by G before implementing. I'm feeling stirrings of optimism. What say you?

https://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com?country=US

1. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Early days - a lot of internal traffic? The rise is not reflected in my analytics stats.

paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'd noticed my stats hadn't gone up either. But I'm in optimism mode today. big_smile

1. janderson99 profile image53
          janderson99posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had a massive pile of unfeatured (half moons, not bullet holes) to deal with - nothing destroys my mood more than this hated scourge.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to update 1,162 hubs by the end of January. big_smile

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
              Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It sounds like a lot of work for her ahead. I can't imagine.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Just now my stats went backwards!!!  How in the world does THAT happen!  Also, my CPMs from yesterday are half of what they were the day before...and they were quite high the day before.  I'm wondering if there are some more computer glitches going on with the stats??

3. MelRootsNWrites profile image89
      MelRootsNWritesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wish I could share the optimism but my stats have plummeted since the end of November.  I had held on pretty good through October.  I have a couple of holiday hubs (former lenses) that used to get pretty good traffic this time of year, but their aren't getting any now.

Hoping to get some of that magic you all are feeling...rub some off over here please smile

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
    The Examiner-1posted 9 years ago

Maybe it is because they are worried about their AdSense ads not getting money.

Ya know... You have a major point there. In fact, it is about time someone mentioned that Google makes a flaming fortune off of HubPages.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I never seemed to make much from AdSense. Someone just mentioned that their AdSense income had dropped.

From the posts I've been seeing, all income sources have dropped since the change over. I imagine HP will be going on a tweak fest the next few weeks.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
            The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have not made much income from the beginning so I do not pay attention to that. I meant to say in the previous post how I recently had 3 Hubs unfeatured. They were from the beginning, the views stopped months ago.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

My analytics have shown an increase over HP stats for the past month.  This past week they increased, Wednesday being the best day so far.

I guess I'm going to have to wait until January for my big upsurge.

4. Barbara Kay profile image74
    Barbara Kayposted 9 years ago

I had a big surge one day, but it all came from Bing (about 800) for just one hub. Now it went down. I wonder if this was a glitch or something, because I didn't see it in my earnings. I wish I would have checked Analytics.

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there is something going on with hubs surging on HP but not in reality land.  I have given up on expecting realistic numbers from HP stats. 

I find it even more discouraging to believe a hub just tripled its traffic, and then find out it was a hoax. It's been going on for 2+ weeks for me.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you have the traffic surge without an accompanying surge in daily income?

Hey, Doc. Welcome to 500. big_smile

Thanks, I had to go to my profile page to even know what you were talking about. Now if more than 5 or 6 of them would actually read one of my hubs!!!

Yeah, this whole writer and internet thing is a pesky thing indeed.

2. Solaras profile image96

Yes, income was actually down.  Overall though my earnings are up since September.  Back to pre-Panda numbers, although I have added 2 new hubs.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 9 years ago

Jeez! Darn near had a heart attack. According to HP stats,  I'm at a new traffic low for the entire year of 2014. But when I went over to GA, all is well.

So, if HP stats tells you that life has ended as you know it, check GA before dragging out the map to the nearest bridge. big_smile

6. sabrebIade profile image81
    sabrebIadeposted 9 years ago

Since the stats started moving again mine have dropped like a rock.
    The lowest I have seen in quite a while.

Mine were a new ytd low. It was a lie. Check your GA. You are probably doing just fine.

Thanks for that suggestion. I rarely even check on Friday nights since it is the worst time of the week, but when I did there was about a 1 k difference.
        Things are not as bad as it appeared.

2. sabrebIade profile image81
        sabrebIadeposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL...yep.
        Checked GA and actually Friday was my biggest day for December so far.

7. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 9 years ago

My stats refreshed about 5 hours back and the HP views have tanked by just over 40%. Has anyone else experienced this sudden drop?

1. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Shocking on a Saturday to see best performer fast asleep. Dang!

8. GiftsByDiana profile image48
    GiftsByDianaposted 9 years ago

I sure hope so !
    A little good news this year would be wonderful for a change  smile

9. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 9 years ago

GA traffic DOWN
    CPM DOWN
    Income DOWN

Time to abandon the new format!! Please!

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

My CPM is down and so is income as a result. Hubpages speed is not helping either.

10. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

Looking at the Quantcast stats, HP traffic has increased since the layout change.  The weekend always takes a dip.  GA is showing more accurate stats.  I think the next two weekends may be lower than normal with the holidays.  I don't think we're going to see the Christmas sales we used to see years ago. I think those days are over.  It's not so much HP or Google's fault.  Online shoppers look for bargains.
    I have some Christmas related traffic, but it's not for shopping.  Although I haven't even checked Amazon earnings this month. I might be surprised.
    CPM might have more to do with what advertisers HP is currently working with?  I know some categories do better than others.

11. Solaras profile image96
    Solarasposted 9 years ago

Can anyone explain to me why impressions would be 60% of pageviews?

Those are your page  ad impressions. Sounds like the 60:40 split is working perfectly. smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's the deal we agreed to when we signed up to write here.  We get 60% and they get 40%...something has to pay their bills!

1. Solaras profile image96

That makes sense, but if there are 3 ads per page, wouldn't it be more for both of us, or do all ads on a page count as one impression?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)