HubPro and 1970s flashback?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (51 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 9 years ago

I just noticed under my profile when I went to edit the background, about the HubPro.  I have not noticed it there before.  The box is checked yes as to hubs eligible to be edited by HubPro and I do not remember saying yes to this being done.  Is this an automatic thing by HP and we have to then select yes or no?  Also, what is strange is that it states, "Your last change was on January 1, 1970."  1970?  Something is amiss here.  What do you think of this HubPro feature? It says I can only make one change in 60 days, but I have not made a choice on my own yet.
    http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12245079.jpg

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The default is yes; you have to change it to no if you do not want the hubs to be eligible for HubPro.  The date is just a system generated date. It is a default date.

Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Millionaire Tips.  A default date of January 1, 190?

Meant 1970 ...

2. UnnamedHarald profile image93
          UnnamedHaraldposted 9 years agoin reply to this

In "computer land" it is popular to track a date/time as the number of milliseconds since January 1, 1970 00:00:00.000. Hence, if there is no date/time value (i.e. it's 0) zero milliseconds is converted to 1/1/1970. Aren't you sorry you asked smile

Hi Unnamed Herald, 

Thank you for the education!  I am glad you explained what speaking computer looks like and now it makes perfect sense ...  So, does the computer think it is a visionary being it thinks it is in the 70s?  LOL

Bless you for giving us techy dummies a lesson.

2. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Faith, you have to opt out of HubPro. If you don't they will have their way with your hubs. 1970? There was no Internet in 1970, let alone HubPages. What's going on? Sometimes our accounts say they've been updated as of 45 years ago. Seems to me, someone needs to go back to programming school!

I'd better take a look at my profile and see what messages are waiting for me.

Thanks Sha!  Oh, then I better opt out then!  Yikes, as I sure don't want anyone messing with my hubs.  LOL, yes, back to programming school is needed ...  How would you even know if they had edited one of your hubs?  I hope they would notify one.  I have opted out now.  Glad I noticed it.  I am sure there was a notice and I just missed it somehow.

1. bravewarrior profile image87

Faith, they're supposed to notify you if they are editing a hub. You're also supposed to agree to the changes before they post them. However, according to other forums I've read, that isn't always the case.

Glad you opted out. I did the same when HubPro was first announced.

Hi Sha,

I would hope they would notify you!  I must have been under a rock when this was announced.  So glad I noticed it and thank you for explaining.  I don't mind anyone giving suggestions, but surely not going in and making changes.  It just seems as though it would not be written by you then.  But maybe that is just me.  I am sure we can all use advice, but writing is a personal thing and to each one unique.  However, I understand when one writes a novel, and has it edited, many changes are made for the better.  So, maybe it is not as intrusive as it sounds. 

I appreciate you, Sha.

Blessings

Faith, editing is a personal choice and it should be done by a professional if you plan on submitting a novel to an agent. However, our articles here don't fall into that category. If they are doing well in the search engines, we're doing something right.

On the other side of the coin, I see many writers here who could use some help from the editors. Misspellings and bad grammar abound. Those writers should either take some courses in writing and/or proper use of the English language in general, or allow the free editing HP provides.

I would also hope that loyal followers will privately email a writer when they find typos, bad grammar, and poor flow. That's what the community is all about. None of us are - or should be - beyond constructive criticism. However, it should be made privately. It's called decorum.

Sha, I agree 100% with everything you have stated here!  That is exactly what I do when I see a typo, I email the person, as I certainly would want someone to let me know if I have a typo, etc.  Yes, that is part of belonging to this community and supporting one another.  I would not take offense to anyone letting me know I made a typo or otherwise. 

So true, about our articles here not falling into the category of a novel and needing a professional editor.  However, as you point out, some here could use a little help and maybe take some courses in writing and/or proper use of the English language in general.

Good points!

Makes me wonder why you and I are the only ones on this forum thread. Hmmmm. Hopefully, we're causing writers to think and reflect.

I was wondering that same thing!  LOL  Maybe I threw everyone off by the 1970s thing?  Well, Millionaire Tips commented at least.  Well, I am a bit late in addressing the HubPro issue.

2. PegCole17 profile image93
              PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Faith, You missed the heated forum topic a few weeks back where a hubber had multiple changes made to her hub without her knowledge. http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128409
              She did not get the email advising her of the edit and they went ahead and published the revised version anyway. It had content added and opinions written into the material that were not her own. That is not the purpose or definition of editing.
              I'm glad you noticed this and opted out. There's not too much chance that they will edit mine as they are going for the high traffic hubs to change them first. I have to wait four more months to opt out. Your picture of the 70s is too funny along with the notification. Very strange indeed.

Oh really, Peg!  Wow, I did miss that one ...  I agree, that is not my definition of editing either. 

Yes, with these crazy back-to-the-future dates, I could not resist putting that photo in here of the 1970s LOL, being they said my last change was January 1, 1970! 

I must have been under a rock when all of this first hit.

Thanks for the update Peg. 

Blessings

3. Jackie Lynnley profile image87
      Jackie Lynnleyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is what happened to that friend of Jodahs; did you read that? Messed up her hub bad and I am not sure if she decided to leave or not because of it. Just know she was thinking of it. I sure noticed it back long time ago and checked no! Can't imagine who would really want anyone messing with their writings and a very strange thing for HP to have and they word it like you are probably not going to be lucky enough to have it happen to you! lol

Hi Jackie,

Yes, that is where I read about that, one of Jodah's friends.  Yes, it is worded as though only a select few are privileged enough to be chosen to have their hubs edited ... I think writing is very personal to each writer. As Sha mentioned, one can understand needing an editor when publishing a novel, but not our hub articles.  I am all for someone pointing out to me a typo I have made and I am grateful, but not rewrite what I have written!

I don't know why I just now noticed this under my profile account, and I am thankful to have seen it now.

2. Jodah profile image90
        Jodahposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Aneegma had three of her best performing hubs edited and changed completely. She had been away and didn't read the email saying that her hubs had been chosen for editing. HP didn't wait for her approval but just edited them anyway. Fortunately she was able to reverse the process though she lost most of her traffic. Aneegma did change her mind and decide to stay.

Hi John, Yes, I remember reading about your friend, Aneegma. I hate that she lost so much traffic but glad she reversed the process, especially being she did not say yes to it. That is what I am not understanding; why would they want to edit hubs that already get a lot of traffic? I am so glad she is going to stay after all that going on!

4. brakel2 profile image73
      brakel2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I have comments that say pending for 45 years on my accounts page lol.

LOL Audrey!!!  Boy, you let your comments go for a bit Tee hee ...

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years ago

It's one of the interesting date glitches HP offers us for laughs and entertainment on weekends.

Meanwhile - I am loving the Mod 70s picture you posted. I think I owned that dress. And that headband. Oh crap - is that me?

LOL Marcy, 

I am glad you love the Mod 70s picture.  Yes, I believe I owned one too just like it, with the boots too, but mine were white and Go Go boots!  I thought the same thing too when I saw it. 

Yes, HP is becoming renown for its back-to-the-future time travels on dates!  Can you even imagine if we had computers back then and all the technology we have now ... Or even if we could look into the future from then and see ourselves now Hahaha.

I had white go go boots in the late '60s. We happened to have a snow day on my birthday, so my dad took me shopping. I came home with knee-high white patent leather go go boots. I was maybe 12. I'll never forget that day!

Hi Sha,

Maybe it was the late 60s I had my Go Go boots too.  I remember watching that scandalous song of the day LOL being performed by Nancy Sinatra, "These Boots are Made for Walking."

Sounds like you had a great birthday!

Yep, Nancy Sinatra's only hit comes to mind. I have another birthday coming up on March 3rd. I'd love to have another pair of go go boots!

Oh, I hope you have the most wonderful birthday ever, Sha, and that your birthday wish is granted.  You will have to send us a photo of you wearing your go go boots!  Or better yet, make it your profile pic.

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
        Marcy Goodfleischposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes!  Had we only known then, right?  Remember that scene in Apollo 13, where they mention the computer and its size? I think it fills an entire room.

I once did a story that researched the history of computers in TxDOT (a huge agency - known for adopting new technology ahead of the curve). In the 50s, when they first got a computer, they had to find a place they could air condition, so they installed the first computer in the basement of the agency's old Art Deco "Headquarters" building - it was one of the first rooms to ever get AC.  At the time, people could still smoke in the building, and the basement was under the lobby, which had those canisters filled with sand where people put out cigarettes.

Well, the sand started sifting down into the basement and onto the computer. So they constructed an ingenious series of paper funnels to collect it & channel it into buckets. When the buckets got full, they took them upstairs & dumped the sand back into the ashtray canisters. I had fun trying to visualize that whole process & how they came up with a solution that still allowed the smoking majority to rule.

Hard to picture that happening today!

Yes, Marcy, hard to imagine that happening today!  Wow, that is a great story you have shared. 

When my husband first joined the Air Force way back when, he was in computers and I remember walking into a room at his workplace and the entire room was the computer and it was freezing in there.  Now, I think my Smartphone can do more than that computer did back then LOL!

3. Dressage Husband profile image68
    Dressage Husbandposted 9 years ago

You are not wrong on any of that stuff the first IBM PC was made public in 1972! The internet as we know it was not possible until the PC's were capable of time sharing. This was in 1979 (I think that was when I first got connected). It still was not available to the general public I was working for Honeywell who were involved with government projects and therefore was granted access as a contractor to the US Government. It was still Arpanet then.

I think Universities got access in 1986 as CSNET and it built quite quickly from then on in. So I want to know how long HP HO staff have been capable of time travel? Or is it just that they think we should be capable of it?

By the way the default is to be opted in for the professional editors, and they are supposed to tell you before changing anything. Forums indicate that HO forgot to tell the editors, or they have just assumed they know best!

And yes I am old enough to remember the 60's and 70's outfits with boots. I loved the sarcastic humor of this thread!

Hi Dressage Husband,

Thank you so much for participating here and adding much interest to this thread.  That is all very interesting and hard to imagine how it was then. 

Oh, that is not good if they did not inform the professional editors.  I would have thought surely they would have to let one know.  I read of a hubber who has been away from HP for a bit and they changed a good many of her hubs and her traffic dropped.  I hope that is not the case, and hopefully with her just being away from HP and not updating?

Yes, I have enjoyed the humor of this thread too and the flashback theme LOL.

1. mary615 profile image81
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I opted our of HubPro when it first started, and will not opt in. From what I read your Hub won't qualify for a HOTD unless it's been through that program.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Mary, Oh really? Wow, I don't know if that is the case or not. I would not think that one's hubs have to first be edited under HubPro to qualify as a HOTD. Hmm ...interesting. I have not read that anywhere but I am not on top of the HubPro program, obviously.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90

No that is not true. You cannot have HOTD if you do not participate in the Editor's Choice.

Oh, the Editor's Choice.  Yes, HOTDs first have to be an Editor's Choice Hub now.  But I think Mary is saying you have to participate in the HubPro program?  So, that part about the HubPro program is not correct, but the Editor's Choice is a prerequisite now. 

Thanks, Millionaire Tips

3. bravewarrior profile image87

Mary, I have an HOTD (January 26, 2015) and I'm not in the HubPro program. Nor was it first an Editor's Choice. They're two different accolades independent of each other. (Unless they've changed the rules recently)

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90

Yes they have changed the rules recently.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/128299

In the forums, if you click on Official HubPages Announcements, you can read the ones you might have missed.

Thanx, Millionaire Tips!

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Thanks a million for the tips, no pun ... well, pun intended : ) ...

Millionaire Tips

4. classicalgeek profile image82
    classicalgeekposted 9 years ago

According to the late Internet historian Michael S. Hart (of Project Gutenberg fame), I was one of the first two hundred people on the Internet. I communicated using uucp email via a dialup acoustic modem attached to an aging Burroughs 5400, dialed in to one of major universities (I never asked which one). One cold November day I crashed the backbone because I brushed my hair in the computer room.

That was when I was a junior in high school, and I emailed some professor for his comment on a paper I was writing (also the age when people published their real names, addresses, and phone numbers online), and would have been late 1972. Back then, if you were really connected, you would have received one email per week. (The professor was very nice and gave me a great reply, which my teacher didn't accept because she did not believe me, even when I showed her the printout (yes, we had to print mail back then to read it). She was convinced it was an elaborate hoax.) smile

BTW my mother made me a dress and headband very similar to that one, except it was a chiffon overlay on a light blue cotton dress (and much longer so I could also wear it to church). I loved that dress!

Wow, classicalgeek, thank you so much for sharing all of that ...that is so interesting!

LOL on the professor thinking it a hoax and I can imagine so back then.

Oh, how cool that your mother made you a similar dress but much longer!  I appreciate you and thank you for sharing!

Blessings

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

Remember, HubPro is more than editing.  Professional photos and illustrations are created as well.  I highly recommend participating if you are given the opportunity - It's actually very limited to Hubbers with high trafficked Hubs.

Right now, HubPro edited Hubs have outperformed non-HubPro Hubs by 17% and we are seeing this accelerate.  Also, we are also seeing a 16 point increase in user satisfaction (very significant).

Here are two recent HubPro Hubs.

- http://cocktailsexaminer.hubpages.com/h … ting-shots
    - http://kiwisoutback.hubpages.com/hub/vanilla-cupcakes-2

We know that editing improves Hubs, but we are pleasantly surprised that we are seeing significant traffic gains for these Hubs as well. 

I only wish we had resources to offer this to more Hubbers.

Oh really, Paul, I was not aware of all that and thank you for the further clarification. That is good about the photos and such. That is all very interesting. So, if the hubs are already getting high traffic, why would they need to be edited?

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
        Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@Faith Reaper - I think leaving a high trafficked Hub unimproved is a huge risk, while improving them is proving to be a great opportunity.  If we can improve the quality and traffic for the highest viewed pages, we can have the greatest impact on the site as a whole.  If you think about a sites quality score derived from each visitor and if the visitor was satisfied, the best way to increase the quality score is by improving the pages most people visit. 

We have seen high traffic Hubs lose traffic time and time again.  If a Hub is doing well today, there is no guarantee it will do well in the future.  Often times we see people request help only after their traffic has fallen.  When we look at Hubs that were created near the same time as Hubs we have HubPro edited, they have actually loss 7% of their google traffic. 

HubPro is the most successful service for traffic we have ever offered Hubbers.  I only wish we had resources to scale it out more quickly so others could see the benefit as well as lift the overall quality of the entire site more quickly.

For people that aren't eligible for HubPro, we are going to put out some best practices that have been effective at increasing traffic and quality soon.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul you indicate that the service is limited to hubbers with high volume hubs - can you give some kind of idea what you consider "high volume"?  50 views per day?  100?  1,000?

I'd love to have some of my hubs looked at and that might give some kind of very rough idea of when it might happen or far down on the list I am.

1. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
            Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@wilderness  We've been tweaking the order a bit.  I'd like to get to all Hubs down to 500 - 600 views per month.   

I took a look at your account and you definitely have Hubs that are eligible.  Not sure exactly when we will get to your account, but it's coming.

1. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Paul - I look forward to it.

2. Faith Reaper profile image83

Thank you, Paul. That is where I am getting confused because I did not understand why would one want to edit a hub that already gets high traffic. So, initially, all hubbers are given the opportunity but only those with high traffic will be edited if chosen ...this is my understanding now. Is my understanding correct now?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)