An Open Letter To Hubpages_ ATTN: wrenchBiscuit Attacked By Angry Mob

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (45 posts)
  1. wrenchBiscuit profile image69
    wrenchBiscuitposted 8 years ago

Here I am posting 7 derogatory comments I have received on one thread in less  than one day! If you follow the thread you will see that I did not insult anyone, nor did I respond in kind to their insults. Please, I could care less about censorship, in fact I am adamantly against it. They did not hurt my feelings with their unkind words. When I was a child, I was often called Tonto, and since a lot of my little friends were black, I was also a regular recipient of  the N-word whenever a local redneck wanted to have some fun, call us names, and throw rocks and dirt at us. But that was a good training ground, and so , as a result, I have very thick skin.

No, I am not looking for a common sort of retribution. I do not want them to be put in the penalty box. I am posting this as an open letter to the moderators of Hubpages. I am asking for permission to tell these people exactly what I think of them; pulling no punches, with no holds barred. I feel that  such equity is in order, and that it is only fair that I be turned loose, at least for one hour. I feel in light of their blatant disregard for Hubpages etiquette, it would only be fair.

Here are the insulting remarks that were  made against me, simply because I believe in prayer, and took the time to explain why:

• I assume you have sources...otherwise you could be classified as insane. Severely so.

• Ronnie - what psychosis are you living with?

• Ronnie - please note, your comments are not making logical sense. Either you are not explaining yourself well, or you are just making things up in your head. You might want to see a doctor about this.

• Space travel was possible 600 years ago... Is there any classification higher than insanity?

• I just don't understand what Ronnie is getting on about. It doesn't have anything to do with my question apparently, but that's nothing new with the odd people here at HP.

•Ronnie...you're either asserting that aliens on par with humans exist as fact somewhere in the universe, or that organisms such as dogs could have used that "discovered science". What was that classification again...I think I'll quit while im ahead

• Maybe you do believe in prayer, but it's obviously not done you much good in the region of intellect. Nevertheless, don't let me spoil your fun.

1. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
      LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Make sure that you email them a link to the comments: team@hubpages.com

1. paradigm search profile image55
        paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Based on the picture, it looks like he already won. big_smile

wrenchBiscuitposted 8 years agoin reply to this

An astute observation!

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see some mild sarcasm, but they are hardly 'attacks by an angry mob'. The trouble with posting very personal views on an open forum is that they are subject to scrutiny by those who won't necessarily share your perspective. They are also fair game for people who like to show off their 'cleverness'.

Your best bets are: 1. Don't post your personal views on a forum, instead use a blog or even a Hub where comments can be restricted to those making an intelligent contribution. 2. Post anyway and ignore them - know that you'll need that thick skin.

Reporting them on another thread is a bit like saying "Here I am being victimized all over again."

1. Susana S profile image90
        Susana Sposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep. I agree.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image75
        Paul Maplesdenposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree - Unfortunately, this is just part of the back and forth of online 'discussion'. Whenever people express views openly (especially strong ones), it will provoke a reaction from other people (and these responses are actually pretty mild and restrained compared to somewhere like Reddit, or, *shudder* YouTube).

If I were you, I'd just shrug it off and move on.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
          Shades-of-truthposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Paul, you are right on target. I also shudder at some of the remarks on YouTube.

Less than kind remarks also mean that people are reading wrenchBiscuit's hubs!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
          rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think this is your best bet.  Why make it bigger than it really is?  I don't go to Questions often, but I didn't realize answers are used for 'forum type discussion.'  I don't see the need for people to disagree to other responders on an opinionated type question.  Too bad people are using Q&A for forum type activity.

3. Matthew Meyer profile image72
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry you have had a negative experience with comments.
      If you believe content violates the site policies, then please report the content using the button on it. If it is a comment on a Hub, please include the comment in the report.

The report button in the forum is under "more".

Each and every one of these reports is reviewed by a moderator and if appropriate accounts may be temporarily or permanently banned for policy violations.

You can also email us at team@hubpages.com

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

Thanks, that's a good idea. I wasn't aware of that. But I am serious in my remarks. However, I would be quite surprised if they granted my request.

3. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

You're right Shades-of-Truth. I myself often jump to a persons profile who has commented,  if it is good or bad. Interestingly, the most belligerent and nasty comments often come from people who have posted very few hubs,and in many cases, none at all! Perhaps they are  professional Troll's that join these sites just to participate in the forums.

4. BriannaLea profile image63
    BriannaLeaposted 8 years ago

Just set your settings to approve or delete comments before they are posted. I would post anyway. There are no rules that say they HAVE to read hubs about prayer. They are just trying to get under your skin.

5. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Hmmm. Is that what an attack by an angry mob looks like?

I'm glad you're not writing the headlines for my nightly news. I'd be very disappointed if I tuned in and saw that type of quiet disagreement.

Sorry, but I don't see any indication of 'anger' in those comments.

You didn't give any real clue about which of your hubs they appear on, so I can't see if your outrage is justified.

I note that you say these 'insulting remarks' were made against you 'simply because I believe in prayer, and took the time to explain why'. I understand that you feel insulted, but perhaps they were responding to what they considered an illogical argument - or required a clearer argument. Of course I don't know for sure, unless you tell us the title of the hub.

It is hard for me to give you sympathy without seeing those comments in context. I'll tell you why ...

Years ago a man filed a complaint with the Discrimination Board here in Australia. He claimed he was refused travel on a bus because he was ethnic. (No need to mention his nationality.) He wanted to take action against the bus company, and demanded compensation on the basis of racial discrimination.

However, witnesses on the bus (including some who were also of his ethnic background) explained he was drunk, rude, took a long time to search for money for the fare, and abused the bus driver. They said they were pleased when he was told he'd have to get off the bus and wait for the next one.

So, he wasn't refused access because of his race. He was refused access for a completely different reason.

Which is why I wonder, in a case like this, were those remarks posted 'simply because you believe in God'? Or for some other reason ... like what you said in your hub?

You have my interest now. What's the name of the hub?

Here's the link: http://austinstar.hubpages.com/question … #rc_200271

Whether someone misunderstands or not, it is no reason for derogatory remarks. I also think a lot of people are missing the point that such behavior is hurting the haters more than it's hurting someone like me. They are the ones who must live with their vitriolic outbursts, and their confusion: 24/7.They are like wild animals caught in a fence, screaming. It is not so easy to just turn and walk away.

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"I assume you have sources...otherwise you could be classified as insane. "

"They are like wild animals caught in a fence, screaming. "

Of the two quotes I know which one I would find derogatory and which one a simple statement of fact.  You might disagree, though...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12347849.jpg
          Why do you insist on casting such an unflattering light upon yourself? You may as well have said "The cow jumped over the moon", as there is no comparison. First of all, I was expressing an emotion; an emotion  that had no negative connotation whatsoever. Have you ever heard a wild animal caught in a fence? I have, and it is not a pleasant sound.

The analogy helped to dramatize, and better illustrate my perception.  But let us go with your flow for a moment: You will notice that I use "They" rather than identifying specific individuals. For the sake of argument, even  if my purpose was to belittle someone, who do you think is going to take the time to match up the statements with the names?  Are you really that bored with your life that you would waste your time on such a trivial pursuit?

Once again, you have given us two cents that ain't worth a half a penny. Goodbye.

"Once again, you have given us two cents that ain't worth a half a penny. "

I do believe the point was made.  Twice now.

Good day to you, too, sir.

6. colorfulone profile image78
    colorfuloneposted 8 years ago

The OP says that the comments were on another thread, not on a hub.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, colorfulone. I noticed that after I'd posted my reply so I went to his activity page and found the thread. I don't see it as an attack by an angry mob.

Forums are always short, sharp and confrontational. I think he's best advised to stay away from them if he's easily offended.

1. colorfulone profile image78
        colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I have followed some of the lengthy forum threads that wrenchBiscuit started just because I like to read interesting viewpoints on various topics. I can remain neutral that way and not have an opinion or a judgment.

7. Froggy213 profile image64
    Froggy213posted 8 years ago

I have been at Hubpages for over 7 years. When I first started, it was to write about my Grandson Jonathan who I feel was murdered.http://froggy213.hubpages.com/hub/Is-Jonathan-Finally-Finding-Justice.

I had every kind of comment you can possibly imagine down to someone saying I probably murdered him.

So how did I deal with it?

I kept moving.

Comments mean traffic. Traffic means income. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I have to say it the way it is.....Get over it.

There will always be idiots that feel that because it is the internet they can say whatever they feel. I only wish the comments I received were at the "harshness" level of the ones you received. I often had to be counseled over some of the rude things people said. I suggest that if you cannot take some rude comments, you find another activity, because that is how it is online.

Sorry if this sounds somewhat harsh, but I had to make a point.

1. LongTimeMother profile image91
      LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Froggy. I went and read a few of your hubs ... and I met Jonathon and Elijah. Hard to believe anyone would have written mean comments. But yes, as you say, there will always be idiots.

Sending my best wishes to you and your family. smile

1. Froggy213 profile image64
        Froggy213posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. I just received a picture of Elijah 2 days ago. He was adopted into a lovely family in St Louis, but I am still in his life.

Yes, people were very harsh and it did eat me up. It was good it was me and not some other people, because I know where to put the negatives.

Thank you for visiting, and may God bless all of you. Wrenchbiscuit, I apologize for being so blunt, but that is how this internet world is.

8. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

the raggededge: LOL. But I can only express how it makes me truly feel. And besides, it is no less accurate of a headline than many that you see on rags like the National Enquirer. But there are several other reasons I made this forum post that may be lost on many readers, and so I will explain.

First of all, let me be clear that I am as "European" as I am Indigenous. The Euro part of me is German / Dutch as i understand it. Furthermore, often in "real life" people have commented and said, " Oh! I thought you were white!" I also have as many European heroes as Indigenous. The point being, when I discuss issues of racism in America and use terms such as "Eurocentric", many misinterpret such references to be negative, or  purposely demeaning to whites in general, when nothing could be further from the truth. The statements I make are simply factual statements that express my feelings concerning the historical record, and racism as it continues to exist in our society. Many do not get the connection that our general unwillingness to face, and accept responsibility for the past is directly connected to much of the turmoil we see in the world today.

Secondly,( this will raise many eyebrows, and illicit smirks and guffaws from the peanut gallery) what I do on Hubpages , and on the internet in general, is a form of prayer. Often when I post a hub or make a comment, I am not simply directing my thoughts toward the 3 dimensional world of men, but also to God. It is a popular misconception that when people pray, they get down on their knees and recite nice flowery poems, and make solemn requests to a benevolent, all seeing, all knowing, God. Such a method of prayer is the popular European model.But this is not my viewpoint, and I rarely pray in this manner.

I do not interpret God as being necessarily a benevolent, or kind entity. I grew up on a farm and petted the cute little animals and played with them. I can honestly say that I loved them, and when I was very young, I sat down and cried when my father took them to market. But in spite of my sorrow, after these unfortunate animals were brutally butchered and turned into steaks, pork chops, and hamburger, I sat down with the rest of the family and enjoyed the meal. Although I continue to eat meat, I do not justify it, as I am aware that it is disgusting and barbaric, but unfortunately I am driven to do so.  It is not beyond the realm of possibility that our primary function is to serve as livestock for a superior entity, being, or race of beings; that our energy is consumed by such entities; in life and after death. But I can only speculate on such matters. This is the first reason that I alluded to. My second reason continues in my response to Paul M.

9. Sharlee01 profile image80
    Sharlee01posted 8 years ago

I am not sure if responding to these people will actually bring you any satisfaction. Please know that the majority of people here at Hubpages are respectful, and give one credit for their presentation of a  given subject.  I have visited several of your Hubs, you are clearly a gifted writer, you should take pride in your  writing abilities. Why not concentrate on writing hubs, and stay off the forums. You are completely untitled to your opinion. However, be ready for some to disagree with your opinion. Look past the rudeness of  the few, and consider the many that perhaps gives you credit for not only how well you write, but the fact that you are not afraid to go against the "gain"  so to say. I can clearly see you're  a person with a lot of passion, and realize it would be hard for you to look past the derogatory comments. Direct your passion into your writing. You are wasting your time going back and forth with people that don't agree with your beliefs ....

Sharlee01: Thanks for your kind  words of support. Although I am serious about this issue, as I have explained in my other replies on this thread, you must understand that I do not take myself so seriously as some might imagine, and being a writer, you are of course aware how once we become accustomed to pushing our creativity to the limits on a regular basis, that it's not so easy to pull back on the throttle and ease up on the drama.

Furthermore, I don't seriously want to confront anyone. I am well aware that while some of the people that insulted me may have serious issues to deal with, others may simply be playing a role to entertain themselves. But along with everything else that I have explained, expressing my "outrage" here also provides a much needed catharsis, not only concerning  this issue, but for other unrelated issues as well; issues that have negatively impacted my life. And so, having opened the door, it is at this point the hater might express: " Yes Ronnie, we know about the issue of your mental health, and your suicidal tendencies!" But I have been an entertainer most of my adult life, and so I am accustomed to other people enjoying themselves at my expense. All I can say to the hater is : Rave On Amigo!

10. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

This is in response to Paul M, and others who have suggested that I move on. I understand that these are most likely meant to be words of encouragement, and they are appreciated as such, but it is not my desire to move on because these threads are only a microcosm of the world at large. When we see a problem, we must understand that each problem we encounter also carries with it a solution. If we can emotionally detach ourselves from a particular issue or problem, we can often see the answer to the problem staring right back at us.  We can see from many of these threads that many people do not understand the language.  It becomes very clear that they do not have an understanding of epistemology, and the problems associated with language and meaning. Consequently, many disagreements arise, not necessarily from different ideological viewpoints, but from the  simple misunderstanding of words. Of course, in the brick and mortar world, this can result in an act of murder.

The democratic, two party  approach to solving social ills in America is at best a human tragedy of epic proportions! It is painfully obvious that politicians are either unwilling, or unable to solve many of our social ills. I believe that if the average citizen does not step up to the plate and start making the necessary changes, that in just a few years, all will be lost, and we as a society will be at the point of no return. I am that average citizen. I am "moving on" by demonstrating that there are many "thinkers:" and "doers" among you that not only have a willingness and desire to change the world for the better, but also the knowledge and training to do so. I can tell you that without a doubt, I could help to develop practical strategies that would reduce the level of violence in a major U.S. city like Chicago by at least 25% in the next ten years. I see that as a significant decrease. And so, not only am I contacting various individuals and organizations directly, but I am using every means at my disposal to move forward. In other words, not all, but much of what I am posting  is  part of my resume. This is an important approach because many major U.S. cities are tightly controlled from the inside, and are essentially "locked down", meaning that a third party seeking to make changes that would most likely negatively affect the cash flow would be effectively  "locked out". But a grass roots movement could circumvent such obstacles, and outflank what essentially amounts to organized crime.  If I do not succeed in this endeavor, there is no shame, because even a simpleton who has swept the sidewalk and watered the lawn has performed a great feat of careful planning and execution, and deserves to be recognized, as he has sought to improve our world.

11. word55 profile image70
    word55posted 8 years ago

Go ahead and speak your mind like anyone else. Nobody should be attacked for their speaking out. There is a decent way of disapproving a person, place or thing. We are all God's people whether all acknowledge it or not. We are to love one another. We may not like what a person does but we still owe it to love that person. The love you show may help the person to become better.

Thanks word55! You are like the calm ocean breeze that gently brushes the Palms here on the Treasure Coast. Always good to hear from you. Yes, love is often the hardest thing to do. Hate has always come easy to man.

12. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

It seems to me that you reduce unacceptable posts by using the report post button, rather than by reprinting them.  Not all of the ones you highlight are against forum rules.  People are allowed to disagree, but not make personal attacks.

First of all, I always hated the little kids who had to go running to the teacher anytime another kid "broke the rules" when I was in grammar school. I have always been an anarchist, even before I knew the meaning of the word.Governments, politicians,  Keystone Cops : such entities and individuals all  have their proper place in this world, but I am not at liberty to provide the exact location.

No, my purpose is not to get anyone in "trouble". My true purposes have been clearly outlined throughout this thread. But I beg to differ with your comment on policy. It is against Forum policy to directly insult someone. I find it interesting that you feel that questioning someone's mental state, or referring to them as "psychotic" is not insulting. Are you the same guy that suggested it's Walter Scott's own fault that he got shot in the back at least 5 times, because he shouldn't have ran ?

13. Pawpawwrites profile image61
    Pawpawwritesposted 8 years ago

When you express an opinion and it is rejected by others, whether tactfully or not, trying to persuade them or change their minds is usually a waste of time. Moving on sounds like a good plan to me.

In my opinion there are much more important things to worry about.

I agree. My favorite Jewish Quotation is: "It is a bigger fool that argues with a fool". I never attempt to change anyone's mind because I do not believe that is possible. I am not the first to express the idea that you cannot enlighten someone who is not ready, or able to receive it. My purpose is self-expression, and also as I have explained further throughout this thread. Through self expression I have highlighted a serious problem. You have expressed that there are more important things to worry about. But just as a man must first begin as a seed and then as a little boy, so too, all of the problems of the world have begun and progressed  in the same fashion.

We do not have to be in Palestine to stop the killing there. We start the process by planting a seed where we stand. We begin in Ohio, California, or Newark New Jersey. Once the seed has matured and reached fruition, the killing will stop. It is then, and only then,  that the American people will realize that their tax dollars have  been killing Palestinian children for far too many years, and so it will end. But we cannot care about  the Palestinian unless we can first care about ourselves; unless we can first learn how to properly respect each other on a daily basis, and at a local level. Otherwise, we are expecting a tree to reach fruition even before the seed has been planted, and this is only madness. We cannot change a man's mind. But we can shake the man who was sleeping, so that he may awaken.

14. clivewilliams profile image72
    clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

What attack? What mob? I would love to have some traffic on my hubs, negative or positive. Too much whining here, all you have to do is delete their comments and pretend they are God....invisible.

LOL! Sorry you posted this since it doesn't apply. Try giving at least a cursory look through the thread before you post a comment. Your comment reveals that you have no idea what's going on here.

15. Pawpawwrites profile image61
    Pawpawwritesposted 8 years ago

"I am not the first to express the idea that you cannot enlighten someone who is not ready, or able to receive it."

OK, I guess I'm one of the ones who isn't ready to be enlightened.....I'm moving on.

Thanks. I'm glad you didn't miss your stop.

16. Paul Maplesden profile image75
    Paul Maplesdenposted 8 years ago

Just a friendly word - Telling others why they are wrong (even if you explain it in a way that is perfectly reasonable to you) is almost *never* going to win someone over to your side.

It's a simple fact of discourse that people will either agree with you or they won't, and 99% of the time, posting responses in internet forums to change opinions is a futile effort, on either side. That's why before I said 'just move on' - There is nothing to be gained or accomplished here.

Incidentally, I do agree (as you posted in an earlier thread) that there are things that we can do to improve life in the real world. That's why I humbly suggest that making things better in the real world is generally a better use of your time than trying to persuade them in the online one.

17. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 8 years ago

So why don't you do that in the original thread? Why bring it here?

I do wonder why you would consider it justfied though... you know, do unto others and all that. It all feels a little self-indulgent and hypocritical. Either report it or ignore it.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12348350.png
      These forum posts never fail to remind us that the inability, or unwillimgness to focus and communicate effectively is a great problem here in America, and perhaps throughout the world. If someone told an American that they had just won a million dollar sweepstakes, and where to pick up the cash, I have no doubt that every person who has commented on this thread would have no problem being at the exact location, at the exact time to pick up the cash. How so? Because they would make sure they understood the details. They would take the time to read the instructions, so that they would not make any mistakes and miss the big payoff. Americans are conditioned by the system to focus on money and all things related to it. Everything else is subordinate to money.

Because I have offered to solve a serious problem here without first asking for money; a serious problem that will continue to lead to tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths each year in the United States alone, I have not been taken seriously. Very few have paid attention to the details. Very few have taken the time to combine, and review the various comments I have made so that they might clearly understand my meaning, my purpose, my motivations. I have already answered most of your questions. It is only necessary to read what I have posted. When you do, you should understand the "Why?"

1. theraggededge profile image97
        theraggededgeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, I don't understand the 'why'. You requested free rein to have a go at the people who offended you. You posted with a dramatic subject line regarding being attacked by an angry mob, and now you are claiming to have some higher purpose. It makes no sense whatsoever. If someone else can explain to me, a non-American, what point you are trying to make, I would be grateful. From where I stand you appear to be merely attention seeking.

I think I'll get off at this stop too. Good luck.

18. wrenchBiscuit profile image69

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/12348607.jpg
    As you know appearances can be deceiving,but since you seem to have a command of the English language, it is clearly evident through your response that you still haven't taken the time to read what I have posted. I was very clear in my explanations. Of course I am seeking attention! And so is everyone else who posts here and writes essays, poems, etc.. I am sure there is the odd bird that posts strictly for themselves, but it would seem that such individuals would do it on their own blogs, and not on a public platform like Hubpages.

I am seeking attention because people are needlessly dying in America, and all over the world. Millions of lives are being destroyed, or severely broken, each year that passes by. A big part of the solution lies in the small details, such as what I have been expressing throughout this thread.If I can save even one life, and I should ask that you build a monument in my honor, then why should that bother you, or anyone else? And If I should save ten million, and ask that their be decreed a national holiday: wrenchBiscuit Day , all across America, with  parades, and sexy women over 40, well endowed with ample bosoms, marching topless in tight shorts;  twirling batons to the Ohio Express song "Yummy Yummy Yummy", why would anyone wish to deny me such a pleasure?

Christopher Columbus  was personally responsible for the deaths of thousands of people; indirectly responsible for the deaths of over 100 million, yet ,he has his own holiday. The point is: You have sought to belittle me by suggesting that I am seeking attention. There is no other reason for such a comment, considering the context in which it was made. But every man has his own personal agenda, and so what if he does? We cannot concern ourselves with such foolishness. Imagine someone making an issue about the character, motivations, or habits of  a man who found a cure for every cancer known to man. Should I really care if I were to find out that this mans fetish was to get naked and have fat women spank him with empty tubes of Crest toothpaste? I think not, and I would gladly build this man a monument, and decree for him a holiday , and a parade, and I would insist that Crest sponsor the celebrations.

Concerning your comment about a higher purpose: We all have a higher purpose than getting Facebook likes, or Hub page followers, or traffic to our websites and blogs, or making money and spending it. Our higher purpose is to insure that every human being who comes into this world is cared for as a precious diamond, or a mine that is filled with silver and gold. I cannot speak for you, or anyone else, but I had a wonderful childhood. I grew up with love all around me.  I never wanted for any material thing, nor did I want for the spiritual, because my mother was what many would consider a holy person, or a shaman. My father was wealthy, and had a very big heart. It would not do for me to continue my selfish pursuits, and not consider  that every child is entitled to the same benefits that were bestowed upon me. I must be involved in moving men away from the evil that has confounded, and placed a dark shadow upon the world. But most importantly, every one of you must be equally involved in this pursuit, if you are not already, as each of you has something very valuable to offer. There is no higher purpose!

Speak for yourself.  My primary purpose in life is not to support and care for people I'll never meet.  And I daresay yours isn't either, or you wouldn't have the money to own a computer, house, car, etc.  Or is that like the green group that fly around the country in private jets?

Well spoken wilderness! You exemplify what Americans have been all about for the last 500 years. I appreciate your honesty. Why should you care about anything, or anyone but yourself. Well done!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)