Hip Hip Hurrah - The Related Search block of ads is GONE!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (26 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Wow! the related search block of ads that used to appear at the bottom of the page above the comments is gone! These ads were hated by many, were deceptive and the revenue was not shared with authors. Great News!!!

1. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Wow!
      So it took 2 years for HP staff to finally agree to our wishes to remove those unfair ads from our domains.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
      Jayne Lancerposted 8 years ago

A great improvement. However, hubs still look cluttered towards the bottom of the page. And what's with 'Recommended Hubs' and 'Related Hubs' in very close proximity of one another? A further improvement would be share buttons visible to everyone.

1. janderson99 profile image54
        janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

shhh! I added my own share butts (links)

3. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

Uh-oh. I just checked my hub. Looks like it's been replaced with "See Also" and now there are 8 freaking ad links there instead of the usual 5. I wonder if HP is now at least paying us for those?

1. Jayne Lancer profile image91
        Jayne Lancerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm not seeing this yet, but I am seeing eight ads per hub, or nine if 'Recommended Hubs' (Powered by Google) is to be included. Could Google regard this as excessive? Funny how HubPages can make so many ads visible on all screen resolutions, but not share buttons.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
          paradigmsearchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

I see one single ad in that position - nothing to do with 'see also'. I'll be keeping an eye on it. Sometimes things that are new don't reach us all at the same time.

1. paradigm search profile image54
              paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I checked one of your hubs. You are right, not there. I checked mine again, still there. Yep, I guess HP has decided I'm just special. lol

I just checked hubs from both your accounts and am not seeing 'See Also'. Strange.

Here is what HP is doing to my hubs on both accounts:

See Also

Share Files                             Meet New Friends

Social Networking                Chat with Friends

Free Software Downloads    Facebook Login

Listen to Music Online          Algerian Music

All are links just like the "Related Searches" aka "Sponsored Links" used to be. Are we at least getting paid for these now?

edit: And isn't the phrase "Free Software Downloads" a major screaming no-no around here?

Very spammy-looking!

OK, I just spotted it on Sue's hub, http://sue-adams.hubpages.com/hub/find- … or-parents I hope it's there when others look.

Still not seeing it on yours, lucky you. lol

2. Marina Lazarevic profile image76
                    Marina Lazarevicposted 8 years agoin reply to this

We're testing this new ad and it won't be visible on every Hub view. All ads running in that location (where you may see the "See Also" ad) are shared via the Ad Program. We are also testing the impact(s) of eliminating the Related Searches unit.

Thanks and Yeehaw!!! big_smile big_smile big_smile

2. colorfulone profile image78
                      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, Marina. I was getting confused reading this thread. wink

3. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
                      Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I just hope all the spammy elements are discarded. Our pages are looking pretty crummy. Every new change gives the appearance of spam and lack of professionalism.  I wish HP would stop using their time to play around with our pages just to justify a job position.

2. paradigm search profile image54

Where the "Related Searches" aka "Sponsored Links" used to be; they've now changed the name to "See Also". Below hub content and above the "Recommended Hubs" and blue rating buttons. I hope HP isn't doing this to just me. lol

4. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 8 years ago

If we're talking about the same thing, the "related hubs" are now to the right instead of bottom.  At least they're still there - I get a goodly amount of traffic from them and the extra income is welcome.

Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, we are not talking about the same thing. Janderson is talking about the former so-called "related searches" which we fought hard to get rid of. Those "Related Searches" were links to pages and pages of totally unrelated ads, the income of which was not shared but all kept for HP under the pretext that those ads did not appear directly on our domains.

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Got it.  Thanks, Sue.

5. Sue Adams profile image95
      Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

I cannot see any " See Also" links but I have 10 ads on a page, including one video ad that says: "recommended video" from Google, which looks like it could be related to my article but clearly is not. So many ads reduce loading speed and are very off-putting. If I had been an outsider, I would have clicked off because the page took ages and ages to load.

Are HP trying to make a quick buck before the final collapse?

b.t.w. bring back the share buttons to a visible place.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I checked one of mine and found 10 ads too. I don't have the "See Also" links either. Now this is spam and they are worried about too many Amazon capsules! We are all going to be slapped for spam.

6. paradigm search profile image54
      paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

I have never been able to get PrtScn to work on my computer. F#ck it, someone else is going to have to see it and post it.

Sue Adamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's OK Para, Marina gave an explanation. Let us pray that the 'See Also - Related Searches' never materialise and stay away for good. There are far too many ads on our pages as is, slowing loading time like a geriatric snail.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)