Now I Am Really Confused About Idling Hubs and Need an Answer

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Rock_nj profile image90
    Rock_njposted 8 years ago

I just had a Hub idled for lack of interest that is one of my most popular.  I think I deserve an explanation from HubPages staff regarding why a Hub with these stats is idled for lack interest?

The Hub:  Visiting Fort Myers Beach, Florida | Things To Do In Fort Myers Beach       

HubScore:  85    5   
    One Day Views: 10   
    Seven Days Views: 40   
    Thirty Day Views: 216

Is a Hub generating this type of traffic consistently really one that should be idled for lack of interest?  Please explain.  Thanks!

1. profile image0
      TheBizWhizposted 8 years agoin reply to this

John,
      That is odd. It has to be a glitch.

Rock_njposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I want an explanation.  I understand them wanting to idle low traffic Hubs.  At this point I am just deleting Hubs that have no traffic in 30 days.  But, this is one of my best performing Hubs, as can be seen by the stats.  I want to understand their rationale for idling this one.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I had this happen one time too with a hub that had around 250 views that month. I didn't get an explanation from staff, but someone stated that Hubpages wants the views to be from search engines, not social media. Well, what is the difference!!! Views are views. I wasn't happy about it either.

1. relache profile image73
            relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not all views are views.

YouTube says a viewer has to watch 30 seconds of a video to count for a view.  Facebook says it was a valid view if only three seconds was watched. 

If Pinterest isn't bringing actual readers over, Analytics would tell you.  A high bounce rate means no one is actually visiting your Hub to read or do anything, and that's what leads to unfeatured Hubs.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hubs do need to have some search activity in order to meet the traffic requirement of the QAP.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#search-traffic-to-be-featured

If you have a Hub that is doing well on social media, but only has a small amount of search traffic it can be defeatured.

You can edit the Hub and the QAP traffic acquisition period will start over.
      This can be a good opportunity to review Hubs and check grammar, spelling, and other elements of a Hub.

OK.  Thanks so much for the thorough answer.  I guess you can close this topic.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mathews, I have one hub that is defeatured since 3,4 weeks. I have edited it 2, 3 times and improved it. Even then, it is not featured. I don't know about SEO, but my hub quality is good as you can find it. Good quality should be featured. I am very sorry of all these things.

3. Alternative Prime profile image58
        Alternative Primeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

So Matthew, let me make sure this is crystal clear ~

What you are suggesting is that even if a hub is Exceptionally Well Written, Informative, Authoritative, and Beautifully Crafted, it will ultimately be “De-Activated” or “Idled” if “Traffic” to said piece does not meet HP’s specific threshold ~   ----> ??? <----

1. Matthew Meyer profile image70

That is correct.
          You do have the opportunity to edit such a Hub and doing so will restart the QAP period it has to find readers.

2. Rock_nj profile image90

I know.  Sounds idiotic, but that is their policy here at HubPages.  It is one of the reasons that so many good writers have gotten frustrated with HubPages and deleted their accounts and moved on.  It's like asking a great artist to touch up his masterpiece painting every few months because the public isn't coming by to see it.  Sometimes a great work of art is done and final.  Whether it is popular at the moment does not reflect on how good it is.

1. relache profile image73

So why haven't you moved your content to your own site where it can be a finished masterpiece forever? 

No one is making you keep your content here.

2. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

The activity score is only based on outside/search traffic as I understand it.  Maybe the traffic you had is from the "wrong" sources.

A good chunk of it comes from Pinterest because my Hub has pictures that are on Pinterest that have gotten hundreds of shares.  Pinterest may very well not be considered a good source for traffic, but I want to hear to from HubPages to see where they are coming from.

3. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 8 years ago

Hubs get UnFeatured for traffic based on an algorithm, not human intervention.

If you want to know where your traffic is coming from, go look at your Analytics (if you set that up). Otherwise, the data here won't tell you those specifics.

Perhaps the algorithm needs to be fixed.  I know it is coming from Pinterest.  You can see that in Google Analytics.  Also, if you look at a Hub's stats while in a Hub at HubPages, it tells you where the views are coming from.

2. MizBejabbers profile image88
      MizBejabbersposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope that algorithm has the ability to read a hub. Humans read. This really makes me want to go elsewhere. I didn't get two degrees in writing just to be put down by a computer.

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The algorithm counts traffic -- this is a traffic based penalty unrelated to what is on the hub.

2. relache profile image73

I hate to break it to you, but this isn't a site for writing, it's a site for "creating content," and unless you know how to do the second, you will probably find this site extremely frustrating.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

I agree with TheBizWhiz. This doesn't look right. I believe "lack of interest" is the same as "lack of engagement," right? Based on the stats, your hub looks engaged. I hope you emailed the team for answers. I recently saw a forum post with the same issue. Christy Kirwan replied and confirmed something was wrong and asked the hubber to email the team.

5. psycheskinner profile image82

I would guess they are only counting search engine traffic. But also suspect that Pinterest traffic is just as good as search engine traffic.  It is semantically based, just in pictorial form.

I believe Pinterest traffic is from someone actually visiting my Hub on HubPages, not just the fact that they viewed the picture and link on Pinterest.  I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

1. psycheskinner profile image82
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I am saying that I think Pinterest visits should count the same as Google visits, but they probably don't.

I see no way that hubpages would be counting them unless they actually clicked the link and landed on the hub.

6. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 8 years ago

Sounds like a glitch to me. I would send a friendly e-mail and see where it goes from there.

7. LuisEGonzalez profile image79
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12516951_f248.jpg

8. Virginia Allain profile image86
    Virginia Allainposted 8 years ago

I've heard that the site discounts views from Pinterest and Facebook. Too bad, in my opinion.
    I also wish they wouldn't unfeature my holiday hubs due to low traffic. Well, of course, the Christmas ones have low traffic in July, but now and then someone wants to see them but they aren't visible.

The algorithm was supposed to treat holiday hubs differently, with the rationale programmed in that their traffic would be low to non-existent during non-holiday time periods.  I guess that task never was completed by HubPages.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70

Here is the suggestion from the FAQ for seasonal Hubs.
      http://hubpages.com/faq/#featured-seasonality

You may want to set yourself a reminder a month before a holiday to check out your seasonal Hubs and refresh them. It can be a good opportunity to review them for grammar, spelling, and to see if anything would benefit from being updated.

9. psycheskinner profile image82

This is a content site, the goal is to get enough traffic to justify costs and contribute to profit. If writers do not have this as even a secondary goal then the frustration is a natural reflection of having goals incompatible with their host.

That's all fine and good from a bean counter point of view that focuses on one Hub's performance versus a holistic view of a writer's contribution.  But, when they alienate and chase away good writers by the 1,000s with these policies (check the stats), HubPages is losing the writer's other successful Hubs and the profits those Hubs generated, as well as future Hubs that will never be published.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

HubPages does not count social traffic because spammers often use it to generate visits to articles artificially -enabling poor quality Hubs to stay Featured and potentially hurt the site. Like many HubPages safeguards, that does result in "collateral damage" in terms of good Hubs which get unFeatured, but HubPages has said they have no alternative solutions right now.

Let's face it, there's a wealth of other sites where you can publish a Hub that gets unFeatured.  Any serious writer would not be writing solely on HubPages anyway.

10. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 8 years ago

It's also not like you can't just tighten a hub up every now and again with a minor edit and get it featured again.

There's no such thing as utterly perfected when it comes to writing. Even bestselling authors look at their published works and find things they'd change if they could, even hundreds of edits, millions of sales, and a few years later.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

My only comment on making small edits is - why bother?    If the Hub has been around for more than a few months, it's probably never going to get traffic so it will simply get idled again and again and again. 

If something gets unFeatured for lack of engagement, I will always see if there's something better to do with it first.  Only if there's no other home for it, will I consider editing just to get it Featured again.

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the hub is getting plenty of views from human sharing through social media, why not do something to keep it featured? I believe that Google will eventually develop algorithms that are better at identifying material people like.

For instance, I have a hub that gets between 120 to 1,000 views per day, in dips and surges throughout the year, almost all from Pinterest. Why let that hub lose its featured status if human beings seem to really like it? Is it crazy to think Google may eventually develop the ability to "see" things that inspire people to enjoy a piece of writing enough to share it?

11. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

There is a method for this madness.  Unfeatured hubs and here you go with the hubber adding, changing content, etc.  Now Google sees it as updated even when nothing wrong with Hub.  Why provide social network share buttons, then unfeature because a hub is not getting a ton of Google traffic, but social network traffic instead.  It takes time for Google to allow new content to rise in search engines. These days, Google is giving first page, second page etc to big corps, etc that are paying for adwords.     Thank God, I don't have to play the HP games anymore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)