jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)

New Sort Order, Please?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image92
    DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago

It would be nice if we could change the default sort order on our hub account page.

While it is good to be able to click on any column heading, to sort by that, it is only temporary.

Leave the page; it goes back to default sorted by hub rank.
    Refresh the page; ditto
    Sign out for the day; ditto

It would be great if we could pick any one of those settings, and select it as a personal default setting, that would not change until and unless we wanted to see a different view ourselves...at which point, a dialog could come up asking if that view was to be the new default, and a 'yes' or 'no' button.

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
      Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Your suggestion is good, but they may not give attention to it. Personally, I am indifferent to all these things. I can see the same thing whatever the form is.

2. bravewarrior profile image95
      bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Venkatachari. I don't think the order really matters. Being able to vary the way the hubs are sorted is a plus, but not necessary in my opinion.

DzyMsLizzyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

It is good to be able to vary the sort order, and yes, that is now possible, but, when I am working with hubs, perhaps linking them to each other, if relevant, it is really annoying to have to start all over again and re-sort every time I land back on the list page.
        I'm not asking for them to take away any of the sort functions; I'm just asking for the option to be able to choose our own default sort order. That way, everyone would be happy; those who like it as it is can leave it alone; those who would prefer to see a default of a different order could do that as well--and change it if they needed to.
        Believe me, once you have over 300 hubs, it's a real nuisance and time-suck to have to scroll through the whole page looking for a single one...over and over again.

1. bravewarrior profile image95
          bravewarriorposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ah... I see how that would be a problem. Now I understand your query. Your proposal certainly would make life easier in your case; probably others' as well.

;-)  Yes--and some folks have over 1K hubs!  I can't even imagine that!

My current 'work-around' is to try to have 2 instances of HP open in separate tabs, so one stays put in the sort order I selected.  But--my computer doesn't always like that...
            And there is also the issue of human error, and closing the wrong tab when trying to multi-task.. LOL

2. paradigm search profile image62
          paradigm searchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Are you familiar with the browser F3 function? smile

Hi, paradigm--
            Not sure what happened to my reply, in which I said that I do not know what the "F3" does, but that I use "F5" all the time....

1. SheilaMilne profile image90
              SheilaMilneposted 2 years ago in reply to this

F3 will open a search box, as will Ctrl-F

Oh--ok, thank you, Sheila!

3. Matthew Meyer profile image76
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You can export the page to a CSV and open it in any spreadsheet program and change the sort order if you would like.

2. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 2 years ago

Liz,

Do you mind working with multiple tabs open? The easiest fix I use is to right click on the hub link instead of left click and open it in a new tab, leaving the master page with the sorted Hubs list alone.

1. paradigm search profile image62
      paradigm searchposted 2 years ago in reply to this

+1

I use that right-click trick on news sites as well. Darned handy.

yeah--I do that too.  but sometimes my computer wants to freeze up when I have too many tabs open. sad

2. DzyMsLizzy profile image92

Like I said, FictionTeller--I do use the multiple tabs work-around, but my computer doesn't always like it...

1. Fiction Teller profile image61
        Fiction Tellerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Oops, missed that. Sorry!

Yeah, whenever I complain that my computer is having a cow, my husband looks over my shoulder. "It's all those tabs you have open."

I refuse to admit he's right...

1. Venkatachari M profile image84
          Venkatachari Mposted 2 years ago in reply to this

You mean the windows open? I keep 7 or 8 open when doing some search work from multiple sites. It doesn't affect. Rarely one or two go into sleep and reload when I click, if kept unopened for lengthy time. But it is not a problem.

3. Fiction Teller profile image61
    Fiction Tellerposted 2 years ago

Hi Venkatachari. I agree, 7 or 8 tabs don't usually cause trouble. But I have a bit more than that open, unfortunately. smile

I think it also depends on your operating system. I'm running a Linux-based system. It has its issues, but I can actually keep more browser tabs open than I could in Windows.

working