Any Traffic Boosting Tips to Share?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (44 posts)
  1. Keino C profile image61
    Keino Cposted 8 years ago

Hi All,

My traffic has been flat over the past week or two. Admittedly, I haven't promoted any of my hubs over that time period. That being said, I would like to get some steady and sustainable traffic. Any tips or promotional platforms that are working well for any of you?

I currently have a few pins on Pinterest, Twitter and Google Plus posts but they do not supply steady / passive traffic, just the spikes upon initial posts. Any tips would help.

Thanks,
    Keino

1. Leila Pfaff profile image60
      Leila Pfaffposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'd like to know too..

1. Elsie Hagley profile image69
        Elsie Hagleyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I would like to know also, have tired, but my traffic from google is not improving, only getting worse, like my hubber score, I try not to let it make me feel bad, but looking at that it makes me feel worst.

2. NateB11 profile image85
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Best way to get traffic is to research keywords that are being used in the search engine; meaning, that people are actually searching using those keywords. Use those keywords in titles, assuming the Hubs are about the subject matter, and then wait some months; it can take some time; sometimes it takes a few months, sometimes 6 months or 9 months, sometimes a year or more. For quick and dirty keyword research method, check out Wrylilt's Hub on using Google Auto Suggest. Otherwise, research how to use SEO. It does work to invest in a decent keyword tool, but that depends on if you have the money to pay for the subscription.

Should be noted that you not only have to know what is being searched on the search engine but whether you can beat the competition. To find out if you have a chance, you have to Google the keywords and see who the competition is and whether they've adequately answered queries with those keywords.

Keino Cposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Make sense.

I've dabbled in some Keyword research when I first started but I found that it was leading my content more than i'd like. I think the "write first, optimize after" method is what i'll be implementing so far.

Also i'll check out that hub, the auto suggest thing seems interesting and useful to say the least.

I'll try a few things and drop by with updates on what's working!

2. Cassady Bee profile image68
        Cassady Beeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And if I'm not mistaken, the longer your article is in the search system the better the chances of it appearing higher in the keyword search.

1. NateB11 profile image85
          NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Cassady. Yes, that's true, it gives the search engine more material to work with/from. I believe about 1200 words is optimal. It is possible to rank for more than one keyword phrase too. A thesaurus is good.

2. aesta1 profile image95
          aesta1posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I see that the title is important and that it answers so many people's queries. I notice that for topics that are saturated these titles have to be narrowed further to even find a place in Google's top 20 pages. As an example, in travel, the first pages are occupied by the big advertisers. If I place in the title "Interesting things to do in...", the query is to include interesting to find my hub. If the query is "top things to do", they won't find your hub. I changed some of my titles to meet the usual queries but forgot to create a 404 redirect so I just lost the clicks. Now, before I publish anything, I try to really make sure that the title is what I think would get traffic and the description is exactly what the article focuses on. Also, your persistence in participating generously in social media helps as some of your contacts will share your article. If they have a good following, you'll be surprised by how much traffic you'll get.

3. Leila Pfaff profile image60
        Leila Pfaffposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Great answer right here...

1. profile image0
          FootballNutposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is not true.

Keywords are of no value anymore on search engines.

Have a look at this explanation as to why keywords are flawed now

http://hubpages.com/business/Why-Keywor … te-Anymore

2. passionatelearnr profile image82
          passionatelearnrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Nate for your advice.I will keep that in mind.
          does the traffic from google improve as hub gets older?

4. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image78
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it is extremely important to write about topics you know because this gives you credibility.  Nobody wants to read an article about planting roses written by someone who has never planted a rose in his life!

I strongly suggest you take some time to browse some articles here that have been written by those who have done well just to see how they lay out their work, use their titles and subtitles, do their photos, etc.

Good examples are Relache, Writer Fox, Sally Bea and Marissa Wright (and those are just a few).

Online writing is very complicated and takes a long time to learn (some of us never really do learn all of it).  The competition is a killer, too.  So, unless you have something very unique to offer about a particular topic, chances of succeeding with your work can be slim.

On the other hand, sometimes someone writes something as simple as a good recipe, and it goes viral.

You never know!  Good luck here,

5. KeithTax profile image74
        KeithTaxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yes, write more; keep publishing relevant material.

Start your own blog and website and exercise good SEO practices. H

As an FYI: HubPages gives me 150 or so page views a day (and pays maybe $50 per month), but my blog exceeds 12,000 per day (and pays better; $3-4000 most months) and website which gets fluctuating traffic due to its seasonal nature and pays over $30k per year.

The best advice I have: keep writing. I publish an article every day on two blogs and have a stream of articles on my website. I don't publish as much on HP anymore due to the limited revenue potential.

Good luck and keep writing.

1. passionatelearnr profile image82

Thank Keith,your words inspire me.
          I don't want to buy a domain yet because I'm not experienced with how to handle a blog or website.So I'm considering of having a blog on free platform like WordPress.com.does a free blog have better earning potential than hubpages.?

6. gerimcclym profile image96
        gerimcclymposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with most of what people have been sharing in response to your question and would encourage you to write about stuff you are really passionate as well as knowledgeable about. Your passion will shine through your hubs and will attract readers. I wrote a hub about this and will include the link here in case you are interested in reading it (no pressure, I just thought it might be helpful to you). <link snipped>
        Best wishes to you on HubPages!

Thanks for sharing that gerimcclym!

3. clivewilliams profile image70
      clivewilliamsposted 8 years ago

get a job at google and boost your traffic

Is Trolling a hobby of yours?
        Or perhaps genetic?
        I'm curious...
        This isn't the first time that you have insisted in making non-productive comments for your personal amusement. I am certainly not amused.

1. Barbara Kay profile image75
          Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Most of us like to joke around a bit. If you take things too seriously here, you'll let the traffic changes depress you.

Barbara,

I don't disagree with you. But the gentleman I was addressing does the same thing on many trends. It's not the first time and I doubt it's the last. I hope you understand why I responded "in kind". I'm all for jokes, but try to be as helpful as you can or at least say you don't know. If someone ask me for direction on the street i wont look at them, say "you look loss" and keep it moving. Even if I say that as a joke, I would follow up with something useful.

I asked the question because it's a problem i'm facing and I thought it wont just help me but the community if I asked on the forum. Leila seems to having the same problem and NateB11 give some great tips that i'm literally working on right now. Mission Accomplished smile

I didn't get much attention from Google until I was here about 10 months. I noticed you've only been here 3. The entire process here takes a lot of patience. At that time I had at least 50 hubs. That sounds like a lot of work, but I haven't written a hub for about a year now and I'm still earning money every month. It is one of those things where you get what you put it in it in the end.

And I need to be honest. Some writers just don't earn here and some earn a lot. It all depends on what you write about and many other factors.

1. passionatelearnr profile image82

I think writing on a variety of different topics is a good idea.Instead of just writing what people are searching for or writing about what you like.

2. clivewilliams profile image70
          clivewilliamsposted 8 years agoin reply to this

i THINK ITS DEFINITELY GENETIC! But if you are seeking the truth like a true hub Jedi here it is. Unless you are incredibly lucky or your hubs are written so wonderful that google simply worships them, you wont be seeing much traffic with 6 hubs. Social Media is a common run to ground for direct traffic and not traffic from SEO. It will spike and then the spike will die. If you want traffic from google searches you need to write much more hubs, hubs that people actually find useful, interesting or information. Ensure they your hubs are using good keywords. Ghost Blog, comment on other blogs....and all the other long time things people try to gain traffic. What you cab do is to also create a Facebook group page to post your articles to.
          Your hubs also need much more time to mature.

I knew you had it in you! That was actually helpful. I know I only published 6 hubs but i still like to systemize things for future hubs. I've been focussing on more useful content rather than "what i had for lunch today". Only time will tell on the hub maturity thing. They have to brew a bit more it seems.

Thanks Clive!

4. LeanMan profile image74
      LeanManposted 8 years ago

Go back to basics.....

Learn what a keyword or keyword phrase is - there are plenty of hubs on this so take a look around and search.

If people are not searching for what you are writing about then you will get no traffic - so use the Google Keyword tool to find out how many people are searching for the keywords that you are targeting..

If there is a lot of competition from established and dedicated sites - they will out compete a page on HP and you will get no traffic..

Write on what you like, enjoy, and know about - but find the right keywords to attract the traffic and avoid the high competition areas..

Or ...

Throw as much "crap" at the wall as you can and see if anything sticks...... sometimes you just get lucky....

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image98
        PaulGoodman67posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree.  And if something does "stick", keep working on it and expanding/improving it, you can sometimes get even more traffic that way.  Also try writing other articles in a similar vein, see if you can build on your success!

2. Mark Ewbie profile image60
        Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12801281_f248.jpg

1. Stacie L profile image87
          Stacie Lposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Now in color?! big_smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image60
            Mark Ewbieposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes.  Hope you like it.

Easily the funniest thing I've experienced today. Thanks for that!

5. wlrahilly profile image46
      wlrahillyposted 8 years ago

Just curious what you folks are using for keyword research? I have been using Google Keyword Planner, but I also have the Market Samurai software which I have found extremely valuable in my traffic to articles that I have written on other sites.

As of now, I only use the Google Keyword Planner.
        I hear good things about Market Samurai but I haven't yet considered a paid keyword research program.

6. profile image0
      FootballNutposted 8 years ago

Your posts seem to be mainly about finance.

Join financial related groups on social media sites. Be active in them groups with conversation then from time to time drop a link to one of your posts that are useful to the conversation you are in.

The more groups you join that correspond with what you write about here on hubpages, the more opportunities that will arise for you to add links in each groups conversation.

The key is not to over do it though, in reality you want to make it appear like the links you post are nothing to do with you, and that you are just posting such links to be useful to those who you have conversations with.

This will create back links to which helps with page rankings.

My suggestions would be simply just to keep active in related groups to your hubpage posts without appearing to be connected to the hubpage account.

For example if you write about soccer or football as I call it, join as many football related social media groups as possible and be active in conversation.

What you will also find by doing this is, as you are having conversations with people it will inspire you to write about something to do with that subject that you previously not thought of writing, if you can then construct an article to do with that thought relatively quickly without making it appear as if it has been rushed, you can then go back to that conversation and say, yes great point you had there I done a search after reading you last comment and found this (drop the link to your new article), it takes best part of a day to get the new articles featured on here so it re-ignites the conversation if the conversation has fell dead whilst waiting for your article to become featured.

1. LeanMan profile image74
        LeanManposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The problem with links in comments and most social media is that they are very limited with regards to the time frame in which they will send you traffic unless you are very lucky indeed. While that specific page is active and maybe on the front page of the website then you may find a few people clicking the link and finding your work. However once that page is no longer "active" you are not going to get much love from that page anymore unless it itself is high in the search results for some well searched keywords that drive traffic to it.

1. profile image0

Yes that is a fair point. What I am attempting though is to be active in as many groups as possible. That way as posted links slide down social media pages new ones will be added to the tops of other group pages, so in effect there will be a constant flow.

With any luck like you say the old posts will have keywords existing in them and float on search engine pages.

To be honest, I am not focusing on keywords, it seems all words have been saturated so putting effort and a lot of effort in in order to get articles ranking is a waste of time in my view as they may never become ranked, the effort to get them ranking may as well be put into getting manual traffic by having conversations, it is quicker than waiting to rank and still has a potential to get ranked via the keywords used on the social media posts.

Also I am finding google search results are changing, when searches are done now a lot of the time you will find a box as the first search result that is google content, this box has a quick answer to people's questions in it etc, so it is getting to the point where people don't even need to click links on the  search engine sites in order to divert off to sites to find their answers, as google for example supply a quick short answer in a box as the first result, people only need to read that short paragraph to get a quick answer, the only way they will click links on search results pages is if they want a more indepth answer to their queries.

I am starting to think ranking on search engines is starting to go out of fashion for traffic seekers.

I agree with you. I am trying for traffic elsewhere now.

1. profile image0

Fingers crossed. If you find anything useful please share.

2. Elsie Hagley profile image69

Good point, about changing trends in Google.
            You are on the right track, but what can we do about it?

1. profile image0

I am just writing a post about this as we speak, I will give you a nudge when it is complete if it is okay/if you're interested.

1. Elsie Hagley profile image69

Looking forward to reading more about this subject.
                Hope you had a nice Christmas day.

1. profile image0

Hi

Yes it was lovely thank you. Not enjoy so much this morning though ha. Hope yours went well.

The No Keyword post has been added now.

7. jootavootafan profile image60
      jootavootafanposted 8 years ago

there is no any extra tips for boosting traffic of website. you should use only original content and high quality link. that is two important tips for boosting traffic of website.

8. Asher143 profile image60
      Asher143posted 8 years ago

You need to do link building. I mean backlinks from High PR sites which obviously give you tons of traffic every day. You can also but any SEO service which keeps working on your site gradually and regularly.

9. chinweike profile image57
      chinweikeposted 8 years ago

Does anyone out there still use digg to generate traffic?  If yes please tell us how. Thanks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)