Bad experience with HubPro

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (24 posts)
  1. OldRoses profile image95
    OldRosesposted 7 years ago

I just had a nightmare experience with HubPro.  Worst was that they published their changes before I had a chance to see them.

I submitted my most popular garden pest hub to Dengarden.  All of my garden pest hubs are written in an idiosyncratic style that is a reflection of my personality.  As lighthearted as they appear, they are all carefully researched and sourced.  I am a Master Gardener, garden writer and garden speaker.  In other words, I am a professional.

The editor stripped all of the idiosyncracies from the hub.  Added an unnecessary table that made no sense.  Added bullet points in one paragraph that mixed up all of my carefully researched information.  Terms were changed that changed the factual explanations, i.e. "chickens" was substituted for "poultry" despite the fact that I had defined poultry as chickens, ducks and geese.  That sentence was removed.  The paragraph was specifically about the use of chickens, ducks and geese as a way of removing pests from your garden not just chickens. 

And then they published my bastardized hub full of incorrect information.  I just deleted their version and restored my version of the hub.  If they remove it from Dengarden because it doesn't meet their standards, so be it.  Most of my traffic comes from Pinterest anyways. 

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  If HP can't get editors who are familiar with the subjects of the hubs that they are editing, can't HP at least restrict the editors to only correcting spelling and grammar?  I am shocked that they allow amateurs to re-write specialized hubs that they are not qualified to write about.

1. Will Apse profile image89
      Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

They have an obsession with bulletted lists.

I use bulletted lists a lot myself, usually when I cannot think of an enticing intro. Frankly if you can write well enough, the lists are not necessary. Dwell times will tell you if you have got it right.

The chickens/poultry thing might be an attempt to reduce keyword density. The ed probably thought they were synonyms.

OldRosesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The problem with the bullet points was that the editor re-arranged my sentences.  The capsule was about the three different moths that produce cabbage worms.  Each moth has specific behaviors and life spans.  Those behaviors and life spans were jumbled up and the wrong ones were attributed to the wrong moths.  That's completely unacceptable.  I don't understand how HP can allow their editors to make major changes on subjects they know nothing about.  In publishing, editors specialize in genres.  A science fiction editor would never edit a romance novel.  Why are rank amateurs allowed to re-write specialized hubs when they know nothing about the subject?

1. Will Apse profile image89
          Will Apseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

As far as I am aware, only one of their eds has a science background. Non-scientists can be very logical but they have no idea of how the natural world works, which is a serious disadvantage in many areas, lol.

Did I mention that Owlcation groups spider and mites with insects under Entomology? They probably think I am being pedantic when I complain about this but it makes the whole site look ridiculous.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.  You're not being pedantic.  They treat facts like they don't matter.  It matters to me if my name is going to be associated with it.

2. RoadMonkey profile image83
      RoadMonkeyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I had a photograph of a flower called a bladder campion illustrating my hub on avoiding night time bathroom visits and they wrote and asked whether it was spelt wrongly and should be bladder CHAMPION! That was just funny, but the changes made to your hub are very serious. Surely no automated program could do that? But then, maybe it could. I have had emails tell king me how to make a short hub less spammy. I follow them and then get an email telling me something different.

3. profile image0
      promisemposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What you describe is pretty much the same relationship between writers and editors in any publishing environment. Some editors are good enough to improve an article and others make changes that are painful.

We are left with a choice of writing mostly the way we want on HP.com and get lower traffic or taking a chance with the editing process for the niche sites to get higher traffic.

Personally, some of my articles have benefited from the process and others have not. It's a calculated risk.

2. Athlyn Green profile image90
    Athlyn Greenposted 7 years ago

I've seen some changes to my hubs that don't make sense and don't read well or in correct English and assumed maybe some of it was done with some type of program.

You may be on to something.  The edited version of my hub looked like someone had a checklist and just re-arranged the capsules to conform to the checklist.  You're right that some of the sentences didn'the make sense nor were they grammatically correct.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
        Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's a great point. Last week I submitted a hub to be moved to a niche site. I got an email suggesting some changes. It was obvious from the suggestions that the editor had misunderstood one of my subtitles.

I edited that subtitle and the section it addressed, and then my hub was accepted to be moved.

I think the editors are reading pretty fast, and may not "get" everything, but if it is not clear to them then maybe it will not be clear to our readers either.

3. Ilonagarden profile image90
    Ilonagardenposted 7 years ago

I had to catch some of the edits that completely changed the information into something else. I rewrote it with more explanation so that an editor couldn't create the same mistake.

I tried to view it from the sunny side - if they were ignorant of the fact, and I wasn't explaining it well enough through my writing, then it needed revision on that basis. But if I had let the edit stand, it would've have embarrassed me. I'd hate to appear ignorant of my own chosen topic!

It is frustrating when an edit creates false information or just disposes of important facts.

Thanks, Ilona.  You are one of the hubbers that I respect and honor.  I appreciate your point of view on this.

4. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 7 years ago

I hope you received my email, Caren.  The editor/writer relationship is tricky.  We are doing our best to create a consistent style on our sites and sometimes that style does not completely jive with our writers' styles.  However, we are constantly discussing how we can improve and do better, so we appreciate the feedback.

We know that most of our readers are coming from mobile, so it's important that we optimize the page for that.  We also know that we can attract more readers by updating the structure of the page to show up in Featured Snippets.  This is where our technical knowledge and your topical knowledge can come together to create a great page that is being read by more people.  I do apologize if the editor changed text that changed the meaning of your article. That isn't okay, and I'll make sure that we discuss it. We are very mindful of keyword repetition and sometimes removing keywords can affect meaning.  I can guarantee that it wasn't intentional, and sometimes it does happen (even if rarely.)

Again, we appreciate the dialogue and do know that we can improve.  It is very important to me, and the rest of our team, that our Hubbers are happy with our edits and understand why we are doing them.  I wish that we had the resources to discuss Basic edits with Hubbers, but unfortunately, we don't right now.  In the meantime, I would suggest that you find a happy medium between our edits and your work and think about adding some of the nuances that we added back to your article.  Our hope is that you can see the value in some of the changes, even though I know it's difficult to see your work touched.  smile

Robin, thank you for your thoughtful reply.  I am sending you a separate email discussing my issues with the edits to my hub.  I just wanted to point out here for the benefit of my fellow hubbers that I have been on HP for close to a decade and seen a lot of Google changes, algorithms, Pandas, etc.  HP's requirement that we rewrite our hubs to conform to every perceived Google change is ridiculous because it means that we must rewrite all of our hubs every 6 months to a year leaving us no time to write new ones.  And it is all unnecessary.  I moved my herb hubs to my own website a few years ago.  Those former hubs plus the new articles I have added since then are consistently on the first page of Google search results and a few have even been in the top spot.  None of the articles on my website has tables, bullet points, polls, quizzes, videos or full width photos that HP insists are critical elements to achieve high ranking on Google.  They just offer good information in readable form.  The only reason that I haven't moved my flower and veggie hubs to my own website is because running a website is a lot of work and up until now, I haven't felt that I was up to managing a second website.  I accept that HP is entitled to set the parameters of this site so I may have to rethink that decision if the only way to get on a niche site is by having my hubs mangled and filled with bad information.

5. Jesse Drzal profile image92
    Jesse Drzalposted 7 years ago

I will say I have been really happy with some of my edits, just to give another side.

Thanks, Jesse.  It's always good to hear another side in a discussion.

1. Jesse Drzal profile image92
        Jesse Drzalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Sure thing.

6. HoneyBB profile image88
    HoneyBBposted 7 years ago

I've been happy with the edits on my hubs...I haven't seen any restructuring of my sentences or paragraphs...for me, it has mainly been capitalizing letters I was unsure of in the first place. I'm sure they will get better at making context changes...you have an option of accepting their changes or keeping it in your original way so I would say if you're not happy with the changes, revert back to your way and shoot them a note explaining why you want it to stay the way it was. Hope it gets reviewed again.

Nice to hear your experience, Honey.  I did reinstate my original huub and I'm working on an email to HP explaining why.  I just wanted the opportunity to sleep on it before I wrote the email because I was pretty upset yesterday.

1. HoneyBB profile image88
        HoneyBBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I can certainly understand why.  Perhaps, the Hubpages team can make their corrections but leave the hubs on hubpages in their original form until after they get feedback from the author...then, they can decide if it should go to niche site.

That's exactly what I requested.  In the future, if my hubs are edited, no changes beyond spelling and grammar should be made without my permission.  And certainly an edited hub should never be published without my permission.  It's my name on the hub, not the editor's name!

1. HoneyBB profile image88
            HoneyBBposted 7 years agoin reply to this

That's sounds like a win win for everyone!

7. TessSchlesinger profile image60
    TessSchlesingerposted 7 years ago

Hub Pro took my top performing piece quite a while ago and changed it. I knew immediately the traffic would drop. It lost 25% of its traffic. I waited a month, then I restored it to my original, and changed some things so that it took the best of what they had to offer.  My traffic climbed within a day or two and is substantially more than the original was.

That's great Tess.  One of the great things about HP is the community and the sharing of experiences and advice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)