Niche Site for Fiction and Poetry?

1. RachaelLefler profile image92
    RachaelLeflerposted 5 months ago

It seems like a lot of times, HubPages punishes creative writers, because the main focus of the site is to push informative non-fiction hubs. One thing is that non-fiction work is easier to judge by rational, consistent, uniform standards of quality, whereas fiction is a bit more complex and many of the rules can be broken and something could still be "good", and quality in fiction is much more a matter of personal taste. So, if they're not doing that already, why not just move the fictional stuff to its own niche site? Let's be honest, crappy poetry is like 90% of the worst-written Hubs on here. Many of them don't meet any standards for length or quality that we'd use for a regular Hub. Bad fiction brings down the respectability of the site. A niche site would help because people would come to HP proper for entertaining non-fiction, not fiction. It would make a clear distinction, but still allow creative fiction writers to have a voice... on their own site. What I did was put my fiction on Wattpad and my nonfiction stuff on here, because I know fiction is not desired on here as much. Should we do away with fiction on the site altogether? It just doesn't seem like it can be easily made to fit with what HP staff and Google deem as "quality".

2. Glenn Stok profile image93
    Glenn Stokposted 5 months ago

It's not a matter of quality. The thing you're overlooking is that people don't search for non-fiction on the Internet as much as they search for answers to questions. That is the underlying factor.

Besides, we do have Letterpile as a niche site for poetry and non-fiction writing. As for poems, even short poems can meet Google's new quality guidelines by including extra content discussing the poem and including an appropriate bio. Two of my poems were moved to Letterpile within a few days after I published them. So I know it works.

1. Terrielynn1 profile image85
      Terrielynn1posted 5 months ago in reply to this

Glenn you are so right. I love that this site allows for all writers. I want my love for poetry to stay. I write on a variety of topics and love that I can. Who is to say what should go or stay? Yes there is a page for writing. 2 of my poems have just been pro edited and waiting to be moved. Have a great day everyone.

working