LetterPile Organization Needed

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (27 posts)
  1. cam8510 profile image93
    cam8510posted 6 years ago

The niche sites have been a great idea for HP. Combined with the new EBDA (Exchange Bidding), many hubbers are seeing an increase in HP income. This is awesome to see. I believe this alone will inspire more hubs of higher quality.

My concern is for LetterPile. I have a lot of stories and articles on that particular niche site, and I appreciate HP's decision to move each one. I would like to see one more step taken with LetterPile. To me, it is a step that will render all that has been done up to now even more effective. Also in my opinion, without this added step, LetterPile will be much less effective at attracting organic page views, i.e. search engine traffic as opposed to visits from other hubbers.

My feeling is that there are people out there looking for short stories, flash fiction, and poetry. They end up on the online magazines. We want them to find LetterPile. Once they have found our niche site, we want them to stay. But what do they see once they arrive on LetterPile? They see a page full of Pictures and titles. The headings get lost in the clutter. If I was a visitor, I wouldn't stay. Seriously, I wouldn't.

The site needs to be organized so that a visitor can come in and choose where they want to go just like they choose where to go in a real bookstore. In a bookstore or library, we first go to fiction, for example. Then we look for sci-fi or suspense or thriller, or comedy or romance etc.

How is a visitor to LetterPile supposed to find a sci-fi story? Right now there is only one way for them to find it; by accident. That is no way to treat a customer and that customer will return such treatment by walking out the door, or in the case of LetterPile, by closing that page of their browser.

When a visitor comes in, they should see Clearly identified headings for flash fiction, short stories, poetry, articles about writing and any other appropriate categories. After that, the material should be subdivided by form and genre. This is the most critical step. Without this, LetterPile is just that; a pile of fiction with no organization at all. This is not a thrift store bookshelf, it is original creations of some very good writers. We deserve a better presentation of our work, and the visitor deserves a clearer presentation of the offerings of the site.

I would like to see some discussion on this matter and hear what the HP staff thinks about this idea.

In short, I am asking what hubbers and the HP staff think about organizing LetterPile by form (fiction, poetry, articles) and genre(sci-fi, romance, comedy, suspense, thriller, historical fiction etc.). If you are confused about the difference between form and genre, see my article in LetterPile...if you can find it.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Chris, this is a fantastic idea. It makes perfect sense to set the site up as a bookstore. Internet searches have no time to be confused or to figure out how to navigate a site. Titles alone don't always reveal the form or genre. I sincerely hope HP staff takes your suggestion into consideration. More importantly, I hope they implement.

cam8510posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I have always found HP to be very open-minded and interested in our ideas for the site. Not everybody agrees with me about that. But we will see what they think about this idea hopefully.

2. chef-de-jour profile image95
      chef-de-jourposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I just googled Letterpile out of interest. There are some sub-titles under the main heading an interested reader could click on - Poetry, Creative Writing, Essays, Quotations and so on. Once on the site there are then more subjects to choose from - Humor Writing, Books, Inspirational Writing to name only a few.
      So there is some guidance and choice for the visitor BUT I think you're right Chris there should be a drop down list of subdivisions or something similar. Perhaps a separate box for the visitor to type in specific needs?

Yes there are headings, so we are partway there. But to  me it seems it is disorganized and very difficult to separate the headings from all the titles. HP is definitely heading in the right direction. I have no complaint about that.  In fact, I have no complaints at all. I would just like to see them continue down the same path and make some Decisions that I think are pretty logical.

3. manatita44 profile image71
      manatita44posted 6 years agoin reply to this

My knowledge is not great and I know very little about this. I feel that Kirsty and Team are trying their best in a rapidly changing market. It is not  always so black and white. Still, if your ideas make sense then it may be useful to look at them also.  Peace.

I admire what the staff has done so far. Niche sites were a brilliant move. I just feel there is more to do in some of the niche sites. I have articles in several, but I've really only focused my attention on LetterPile.

1. manatita44 profile image71
          manatita44posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, they seem to prefer this site for what we do, you and I, except it's healing as in Yoga and Meditation; or recipes and things which are clearly different.

2. snakeslane profile image80
    snakeslaneposted 6 years ago

I'll be interested to see where this goes Chris.

HP monitors this particular forum Page so hopefully they will weigh in on this topic.

3. Titia profile image91
    Titiaposted 6 years ago

I totally agree with the OP. Recently about 9 of my poetry hubs were transferred to Letterpile and even I have a hard time to find them there. I thought I had read somewhere in a HP blog that they planned to reorganize Letterpile and only put poems and short stories in there and find another suitable place for the rest.

I'm not sure what has been put into place. I've gone back to the blog, and it seems some things have changed. I'm having a hard time seeing it though. I believe articles about how to write fiction have moved. I have one that deals with the meaning of genre in fiction, but that remains on LetterPile, or it was last I looked.

Thanks for the support on this topic.

4. nikkikhan10 profile image72
    nikkikhan10posted 6 years ago

Hi Chris,,very interesting step,,it’s really necessary for google readers to catch some attention on LetterPile and some steps needs to be taken in order to get readers interest.Like categories should be done for fiction or non-fiction stories.

5. cam8510 profile image93

When you go to the site now, it is broken up in to seven categories: writing, Poetry, Humor, Inspirational, Creative, Personal essays, Books. This is good. But I would like the Creative Writing category to be expanded. When you click on that link, you are presented with dozens of stories in different genres. This is where the effort needs to be placed. Break it down according to genre.

1. cat on a soapbox profile image96
      cat on a soapboxposted 6 years agoin reply to this

These are very good suggestions, and I hope the HP staff gives them serious consideration. Thank you, Chris!

I'm sure HP is not looking for another mountain of work to do and this project would be just that. In the meantime, one thing we can do is to put the genre of our story or Poem in the title.This would not organize this site by genre, but it would at least give the visitor a way to find what they're looking for. I've been doing this with all my stories for a long time. When in HP edits my work they do not take the genre out of my title.

1. snakeslane profile image80
          snakeslaneposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Good point.

2. snakeslane profile image80

I'd like to see sub-headings in the other categories too.

Edit: Poetry definitely

I agree. They should be added where it would give visitors the chance to find what they came for. Part of the problem is that it is a lot of work and HP has only so many staff. I wonder if they accept volunteers.

Well, it's good to put it out there anyway. Maybe Hub Pages can provide insight into what the parameters are on that.
          Edit: perimeters/parameters

6. Jodah profile image90
    Jodahposted 6 years ago

I agree with your valid suggestion, Chris. I also read that they are supposed to be reorganising Letterpile so it is only for original fiction and poetry and reviews etc of classic poetry and the like would be moved. I see that doesn't appear to have happened yet and may take time. I also have trouble finding anything of mine that has been moved if I visit the site randomly.

John, I have no idea how much time and effort it would take to organize things on LetterPile. My concern is that other niche sites will feel the need for the same, and maybe that is a valid point for them as well. It may require patience on our part, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't insist on more progress. These poems and stories represent a lot of time and hard work on the part of writers on HP. We deserve every opportunity for our work to be read.

I do believe some changes have taken place on LP. I've read in the blog where some hubbers mentioned their work had been moved to another niche site. So things are still happening.

7. Glenis Rix profile image96
    Glenis Rixposted 6 years ago

Good suggestion. Two of my poetry reviews were moved to
    Letterpile so I submitted my next one there - and received an email telling me that they had placed it on Owlcation, which they felt was a more suitable location.

That is interesting. I wonder if their plan is for all poetry to be moved to Owlcation? Hopefully there will ne more clarification as we go along. Thanks for that information.

8. cam8510 profile image93

Here is another reason more work needs to be done on LetterPile. I recently posted a ten-part short story over a series of a couple of weeks. All parts were moved to LetterPile. But Part 8 (eight) has been placed in a prominent place apart from the others. The Other nine parts have only gotten between 27 to 57 page views. Part eight has 501 pageviews. Why couldn't Part One have been given that prominent place. Readers may have been more inclined to read more of the story.

That is a huge difference in views wow.

People read the first part they see and if the rest aren't readily available, that's all they will read.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)