Are you really here for the money? 'Cause I don't believe it.

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Haunty profile image73
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

Why are you hubbing?

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For the money. And the fame, adulation and women.

You give up easy huh?

Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I give up easy. But I'm taking the HubChallenge anyway.

For me, now it's about the thrill, and to prove myself that I can do it. smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well - if you pick your topics, you can also make money smile

But 5 weeks is not enough. It usually takes about 3 months to get the traffic - and the money fame and adulation that comes along. lol

2. Lgali profile image58
      Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am for god cent cents

3. Jamie Gates profile image61
      Jamie Gatesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I made 78 cents on one site recently. Thing is, I couldn't write at length. You know this site has to have people who simply love the writing craft.

I find it therapeutic and judging from my measly three hubs, I must be climbing the walls. I had to mow the yard yesterday, actually. Today I have a headache on the left side of my head. Damn. Everything and its brother is blooming.

To to make a short answer long - that's why.

4. TrinaLynne profile image70
      TrinaLynneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am hubbing to perfect my craft of writing. The money is an added bonus for me.

2. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Yep. Totally innit to winnit. I smelled the smelly smell of greenbacks from several virtual miles away. Why else would I be here? It's all about the money.

And I'm minted. Now big_smile

Anyway - Mark knows what he's talking about - he's well rubbed up. He's getting it from all directions tongue

3. Mrvoodoo profile image56
    Mrvoodooposted 14 years ago

"It's all about the Benjamins baby!"

Or at least that's why I joined anyway, but the forums and the community in general are an added bonus.

If you log onto the Adsense forums you'll find a lot of Google hate, if you log on to the eBay partner forums again loads of eBay hate, but in contrast there doesn't seem to be anything but love for Hubpages by its users, which is a nice (and fairly unusual) thing, so they must be doing something right.

True I haven't made a lot of dollar yet, but it's showing signs of promise, even with the loss of 40% of revenue I still think it's got great potential.

I see that you joined some 5 weeks ago and already have 42 hubs. It's as if you had taken a HubChallenge for 30 hubs last month by yourself.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Haunty,

Yes that is pretty much what I did do, but only for the 30 or 42, and whilst my hubs are pretty random, and probably not that search engine targeted, and I can say that in the short term publishing 30 hubs hasn't made a great deal of difference to my Adsense income, but hopefully in the long term...

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Haunty - well done! Go and go some more! I wish you the best of luck smile

Thanks, frogdropping! The same for you!

Mark - Thanks.

adjunct - you can't love your writing more than I love mine. I find it hard to modify a sentence once I've written it down.

Jamie - My opinion is closest to yours, get better!

5. adjunct profile image60
    adjunctposted 14 years ago

I gotta tell you: I'm here because I like to read my writing online.

Really!

Thanks!

adjunct

6. Hawkesdream profile image65
    Hawkesdreamposted 14 years ago

I am here for the writing, to improve my skills, and for the community, it's a great community ,warm and welcoming.
    Definatly not for the money $4 2MTHS and 28 hubs No not the money!

You kinda speak my mind. Anyway, I always thought making money is about moving your body not sitting in a chair.

Mrvoodoo - Yeah, I think the same way. One purpose of mine with this hubchallenge is to actually make the hubs (to force myself in a routine to make hubs), and I think I'll have time to promote them later. Good Luck in the long run!

Everyday Miracles - You speak like you had read the book, The Flow. In my interpretation life is only worth living with something worthwhile in the works.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85
        Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always have something in the works! big_smile

7. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I'm learning FROM Mark how to learn LIKE Mark and I love it big_smile

I joined for the money. I've earned a little (NOTHING today though! WTH?) but moreover, I've learned that if I put my mind to it I can create something worthwhile. I have two of those "worthwhile" things in the works right now smile

8. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I am here because I have no friends, write a load of crap that nobody reads but here I have found a safe haven where people read my crap and jeeez I have found friends, is this Heaven Mammy ??

It's been five weeks since I wanted to ask why you use this avatar?

1. profile image49
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I used it on another website so just brought it with me, guess I am a big Johnny Depp fan from way back to 21 Jump Street plus I can use it to act out a pirate persona which seems to work.

2. JamaGenee profile image78
      JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, it's IOWA. cool (If you haven't seen "Field of Dreams", this won't make any sense.)

1. goldentoad profile image60
        goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Any place where BT Evilpants hangs out is not Iowa

2. profile image49

I was actually going to quote Field of Dreams but I thought it was Ohio and wasnt sure so didnt use it, of course it was Iowa lol, jeeez you damn women can read my thoughts !!

1. JamaGenee profile image78
          JamaGeneeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's a wise Captain who remembers that. cool

1. profile image49

Tis indeedy smile smile

9. BristolBoy profile image62
    BristolBoyposted 14 years ago

I origianlly came for the money originally as thought it seemed like a good way to make a bit. 

It has turned out to be the case, having earned over $100 in the three months I have been here and I am now up to 18 hubs.  However, I was very fortunate to earn that.

10. mandybeau profile image57
    mandybeauposted 14 years ago

Badcompany would use that persona because I believe at least that he is Johnny Depps Double, Beside How do we know  that he is not Johnny Depp, A kid was at my place on the Computer recently and she saw his site and mine, and said, Wow you've got almost as many fans as he has and you aren't as famous as he is? Gee thanks kid.
    Back to why I write certainly not for the Dosh, I write some Hubs for the fun, others to rebel, against the system. (Especially the Google system. My long term readers will tell you that I have been a naughty girl, and google (small letters these days) has put me in the time out cupboard. Google is aware that I am not playing by the rules, after accusing me of wrongdoing, so today I wrongdo as much as poss because I can.
    Good idea for a Hub.
    As for your avator You just come out of the Tower lol.

I guess I'm gonna become your fan someday, mandybeau. As for badcompany, he outsmarts as all.

1. profile image49

Why I thank you kind sir but tis difficult outsmarting any woman, doncha think ?

11. profile image49
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Who knows I could even be Hannibal Lectar lol !!

12. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

I 2nd Mark, lol money, fame, adulation cept for the men tongue lol ....wink it makes me feel great to see traffic from the other side of the world hit my site smile

13. lindagoffigan profile image56
    lindagoffiganposted 14 years ago

BristonBoy, you have got to tell me your secret.  I just made my first $100 but it took four months and almost 300 hubpage articles.  I am on a quota of four hubs a day to complete the 100 hubs in 30 days challenge and have one more to write before the night is over.

I am not promoting heavily though I am using Wordtracker and Google Adwords for keyword.  I am promoting through digg.com and of course twitter where the challengers have to place a hashtag behind their post.

I will be visiting you in the morning as my daily hubber community scroll and then back to work on the challenge.

1. BristolBoy profile image62
      BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I was extremely lucky as one of my hubs appears top on Yahoo! search results for a certain search phrase.  This search phrase was featured very prominantly on the main page of Yahoo.com and so I got lots of traffic from that over a period of a few hours.

1. Kudlit profile image62
        Kudlitposted 14 years agoin reply to this

BristolBoy, I don't think it's luck. You created a very useful hub. And I'm sure you spent a lot of time researching and creating that hub. Bottom line is you deserve it!

14. ForTheInterim profile image63
    ForTheInterimposted 14 years ago

I too was drawn in with the idea of a new way to earn money online! However - I only write about things I enjoy and either have some knowledge about, or about something I personally want to learn about anyways. That way at least I feel I'm getting something out of it.

Though given I won't be back in Canada for a few months, and thus won't be employed for quite a while, so I have taken the Hub Challenge to push myself to write more, and I must admit I'd be overjoyed if I earned a little from my efforts.  Though at this point, that's not why I've stayed.

But yes, a .10 click does make me do a little dance!

15. goldentoad profile image60
    goldentoadposted 14 years ago

I got lost and ended up here, stuck. Ever see the movie U-Turn?

1. profile image49

Methinks its " Wrong Turn " you belong in GT !!

16. Kudlit profile image62
    Kudlitposted 14 years ago

When I started hubbing, I think hubpages is a good place to start making money. All the internet marketers were saying that hubpages is a good place to get backlinks to your site though. So I tried it. My first hub got a few clicks the following day. Now I know that I can make money with hubpages.

Just give it enough time and you should see the money coming in trickles at first.

The community is very supportive and will encourage you. I love hubpages!

17. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

Bristolboy, way to go!  You've obviously hit a great niche - most people, even the successful ones, earn little or nothing in their first three months.

Linda(Goffigan) you're also doing much better than average (though it's hardly surprising given your output!).  Most Hubbers take six to twelve months to earn their first $100. I know I did. Once you've hit the first $100, the next $100 arrives in half the time - and the $100 after that, quicker still.  It's a kind of snowball effect.

Linda, rather than knocking yourself out writing huge volumes of Hubs right now, you might be better to hold back and give the traffic on your existing Hubs time to build. That way, you'll see which topics attract the buying public and which don't (using the Channels feature on Adsense), and can target your writing better.  I know I was surprised by which Hubs make money and which don't!

1. lindagoffigan profile image56
      lindagoffiganposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Marisha, thank you for your suggestion to hold off writing and let the traffic build.  I appreciate your suggestion and have just completed the hubpage challenge of 100 hubs in 30 days so there was no stopping to see where the traffic was being directed.  But now that the challenge for me is over, my plan is to optimize on my articles and continue an output of four articles a day but not necessarily on Hubpages.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image56
        Mrvoodooposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Your fingers must be worn down to the bone, well done. smile

18. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

At the risk of sounding naive...I'm here to write...the money is secondary

19. eric2112 profile image68
    eric2112posted 14 years ago

It's a mixed bag for me. I originally came for the money. I then came to realize that I actually like writing these hubs and seeing peoples responses to them. I'm a community type of fellow and love social type things.

I am going to try for the Hub Challenge as well though I don't know how far I will get with it with a 2 year old daughter running round here. Still worth the try and might expand my horizons a bit in the process.

Thanks BristolBoy for becoming my first fan and the kind words of assurrance.

Everyone have a good one!!!

20. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 14 years ago

Her majesty sent me here on a flying walrus to seek a gold toad and a jackaloupe.

1. goldentoad profile image60
      goldentoadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

too bad you only found the fool's gold toad

21. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I'm here to build world peace, and I'm here "for the children" ...

Oh, heck - I'm not here for those things.  I'm here for the money.  Actually, in all seriousness, I came for the enjoyment of the writing but stayed because of the money.  Also, I have a tremendous appreciation of the way things are run on HubPages  (well run, simple, no frills, straight-and-to-the-point), and of the writing of so many other Hubbers.    smile   Compared to a lot of other writing sites, I think the percentage of good writing on here may be higher.

Although, I don't have a long track record, but I find Hubpages is among the friendliest places on the net. I also like simplicity a lot. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)