jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

Niche sites

1. Rupert Taylor profile image98
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 weeks ago

Time to puff out the chest a bit. Five recent articles promoted to vertical sites today.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image
      Christy Kirwanposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Congratulations, Rupert! You're on a roll. smile

2. DrMark1961 profile image99
    DrMark1961posted 4 weeks ago

Congratulations. My latest hub has not been moved to a vertical site. I can feel my chest collapsing a bit even as I write this.

3. Marisa Wright profile image97
    Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks ago

Congrats to Rupert, commisserations to Mark.   I wonder why it hasn't been moved? 

I have no idea whether it will help, but I think the intro needs work.

I would start it with a sentence that shows your expertise more, e.g.

"I see many dogs brought into my vet surgery with "behavioral problems" which are extremely hard to treat, because the dog is simply the wrong breed for an urban environment.  I can offer some helpful advice, but the reality is their dog may never be truly happy in a home where it is left alone most of the day."

I would leave out all reference to the things that can help behavioral problems, because that's not relevant to the topic in hand.  Instead, you could add a section on the end about, "What happens if I've already bought one of these breeds, what can I do to keep them happy?" - or maybe even a whole Hub, which you can link to.

Finally, get rid of that link capsule at the end of the Hub.  Links which are in-text are always more likely to be accepted, e.g. "There are several far more suitable breeds to consider  if you're working all day... (make "several far more suitable breeds to consider" a hyperlink).

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
      DrMark1961posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Rupert, I am sorry and do not mean to hijack your thread but did have a question for Marisa.
      Marisa, you have pointed out that links on HP should not be to vertical sites. I am writing all of my articles on HP, yet almost all of my articles are on a niche site. How am I supposed to provide a link if I can only link to HP? The articles still on HP are not that helpful, which is probably why they are still on HP and have never been moved.
      I put that link capsule in not because the article needs the traffic--it already does very well. It is there to help anyone who might read this article, and provide some good alternatives to those popular breeds that most homes should not even adopt. I am still not sure an in-line link is going to be enough for most people. I asked about this on a previous thread, but still do not know if there is any research into how many any line links are clicked on, and how many link capsules. Any idea?

1. theraggededge profile image98
        theraggededgeposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I think it's the other way round. Link to verticals, but not back to HP.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image98
        Rupert Taylorposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

No worries Mark

3. Marisa Wright profile image97
        Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

I'm like you, and instinctively feel that a link standing out on its own, obvious to everyone, is more likely to be clicked on than an in-text link.  All the experts tell me I am wrong, and that in-text links do better.   Go figure.

When I'm not worried about using the keywords in the link, I say something like, "For an explanation of dog breeds that are more suitable for a working couple, read this article" (with "read this article" as the hyperlink).   That way it's very obvious what I'm asking them to do. 

As for linking to HubPages - I can't find Robin's post, but I'm sure she said to keep links to Hubs within the site.   So Hubs on Pethelpful should link only to other Hubs on Pethelpful and not to HubPages Hubs. I thought she said  "vice versa" but I may be wrong.

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
          DrMark1961posted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

Well, I just deleted that capsule and added the text as a link, but I do not know how I am going to judge whether this is working any better.
          As I mentioned, however, since all of the articles I need to link to are on Pethelpful, and the articles are originally published on HP, I do not see any method of adding links, unless I were to wait until after the article were moved.

1. Marisa Wright profile image97
            Marisa Wrightposted 4 weeks agoin reply to this

In your shoes, I would just link to the Hubs on PetHelpful.  Let's face it, all your animal Hubs stand a good chance of being moved there.  If one isn't, you'll be revising and improving it until it does, so eventually it will get there.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image85
    Kenna McHughposted 4 weeks ago

Well done!

5. Terrielynn1 profile image93
    Terrielynn1posted 4 weeks ago

Well done That's great.

6. Kenna McHugh profile image85
    Kenna McHughposted 4 weeks ago

Good job!

7. threekeys profile image80
    threekeysposted 4 weeks ago

Well done

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image98
    DzyMsLizzyposted 4 weeks ago

Woo-Hoo, choo-choo!  Great!  Congratulations!

9. janshares profile image98
    jansharesposted 4 weeks ago

Congratulations, Rupert!

working