jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

BEFORE you ask for feedback on your article because it didn't pass QAP

1. stuff4kids profile image96
    stuff4kidsposted 6 weeks ago
    1. theraggededge profile image100
      theraggededgeposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

The problem is, they don't come to the forum first. The email arrives with the link to the forum that posts the request automatically. What should happen is that anyone who signs up to HP is immediately directed to the FAQ and Learning Center links. Or perhaps the first time they click on 'Write'.

2. stuff4kids profile image96
      stuff4kidsposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

Yes. I don't blame the would-be writers. They're being misled somewhere along the line. It's a waste of their time and effort as much as anyone's.

My suggestion, to do the greatest good for the greatest number, would be to have new writers submit a short (perhaps 250 word) writing sample on an “unseen”  subject which they must write in real-time, checked automatically with the right software for basic compliance with grammar and spelling.

Once passed, redirect the accepted writer to the LC. Each section of the LC would have a check-box. After checking all boxes, the writer may submit her first full article.

It would be a streamlined, automated process that would leave writers, regardless of their origin, to self-select based on their dedication and ability.

If the first article fails to pass QAP, redirect the writer to the LC.
      I reckon that would work to everyone’s advantage and be fair.

2. Rupert Taylor profile image98
    Rupert Taylorposted 6 weeks ago

Agree completely. I'm getting tired of responding to people for whom English is their second language and who have only the faintest hope of getting approved. When their deficiencies are pointed out you run the risk of being totally unfairly called a bully. Being directed to the Learning Center before posting a submission is a great idea. I think a lot of wannabes would be daunted by the prospect of what's involved.

1. Carb Diva profile image97
      Carb Divaposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

I have been amazed (shocked) at how many of these have appeared in just the last 2 weeks. As a writer, I want to do my part to help newbies, but I often feel that they are taking the easy way out instead of doing just a little bit of research on HP.

1. Marisa Wright profile image98
        Marisa Wrightposted 6 weeks agoin reply to this

It's not entirely their fault. I notice the majority of newbies are from India, and I'm wondering if there's been some kind of promotion over there which has attracted them, probably with misleading information.  Then they arrive and when their first Hub gets rejected, they get an email telling them to post on the forums to get help.

I've previously suggested that Hubbers who obviously can't speak English should get a different email, one that tells them to go away and do further study.

3. stuff4kids profile image96
    stuff4kidsposted 5 weeks ago

Oh well. I guess this discussion is history now after the Maven bomb dropped. wink

working