aaaaaaaahhhh someone's stolen my hub!

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (44 posts)
  1. cindyvine profile image70
    cindyvineposted 14 years ago

Omigod, should I be flattered or furious?  Somebody called Pupa has just put my Fear, Phobias and Frozen Feet hub on some site called Winknaija!  They haven't credited me with having written it or given any links to me.  The copied article is ranked 7 on Google, so I guess that's good, is it?  Funny though, as the hub was an extract from the self-help book I wrote.  Oh well plagiarism rules!

1. Lady_E profile image60
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There should be a law against that. I'm sure you put in a lot of hard work to write it.

2. profile image0
      pgrundyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This happens to me all the time. Whenever I write anything halfway decent it shows up on another site and I have to send one of those reports Christoph mentioned. I still get really irritated by it.

3. mandybeau profile image57
      mandybeauposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One of my early bits turned up on Winknaija, (The Lawyers one I think) I thought Hubpages had done it or it was a Shout. Did it not give u credit. Because mine had their name and mine.

4. Pupa profile image61
      Pupaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi cindy, i just saw this and i apologize, though i got you consent, it was an oversight my not giving you the credits. that will be corrected immediately.

Hope you are not furious.

1. alekhouse profile image72
        alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cool, didn't see this 'til now

5. alekhouse profile image72
      alekhouseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cindy, I had that happen to me once and I contacted the person who posted it (on his site) and told him to add my name as the author or delete it . He added my name and I got some extra exposure on his and other sites.

6. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Cindy did you know there is also a site where everything we all do on hubpages is reproduced, I could not believe it, I will find it and show it to you guys

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

WHAT??!!

7. My Inner Jew profile image61
      My Inner Jewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh wow!  I would be furiously flattered...haha doesn't make sense so nevermind...I would be flattered and furious...someone thinks your self help is great, unfortunately he did steal it...tell him to get the brains to write his own info

8. beautyrose profile image61
      beautyroseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

funny I thought only material things are stolen but why hubs are stolen too. For me I don't intend to duplicate some hub topic but there are times that some of our ideas are the same. Though not the exact content specially when it comes to common things.

2. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Contact the website and ask them to take it down.  I have had to do this a few times now.

3. cindyvine profile image70

Will do.  Do I have to provide them with proof I wrote it?

4. profile image0
    Greta Lieskeposted 14 years ago

Ahhh, the nature of the internet. It sucks that more people do not have the integrity to write their own content. I've never understood how anyone could plagiarize...I would be furious...even though they thought the content worthy of being stolen. I agree with SweetiePie...contact the Web site!

5. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 14 years ago

Cindyvine.  Just file a DMCA report, which will basically have the link to the stolen site on the Internet, the link to your original article, and a statement that YOU are the original author and you wrote it on such and such date.  I can send you a copy of one of mine if you like, but there's nothing to it.

6. cindyvine profile image70

Please Christoph as I don't even know what that report is.  I might check all my titles on google now.

7. profile image0
    pgrundyposted 14 years ago

You just inspired me to get off my duff and file another one.

Cheeky blogging bastards. big_smile

8. cindyvine profile image70

no credit at all

9. Shirley Anderson profile image70
    Shirley Andersonposted 14 years ago

Sometimes the sites have a place at the very bottom of the page where you can lodge a plagiarism complaint.

10. akeejaho profile image61
    akeejahoposted 14 years ago

Happened to me too, and my reaction was the same as yours.  Didn't know wether to be flattered or mad as the dickens.  I chose both and sent a rather sarcastic email to the booger, after posting a comment on his piece, (which was my piece.) kinda calling his attention to the faux paux.

Good Luck to you.  Don't forget to copywrite your stuff!

Bill

11. dineane profile image83
    dineaneposted 14 years ago

Follow up, Cindy. I've written several hubs about copyright as part of the hubchallenge. I know it seems like a losing battle somtimes, but we have to fight copyright violations, or they will continue to be the norm.

(says little ole me, who hasn't had anything copied yet...so I understand the part about whether you should be flattered)

12. profile image0
    jacobt2posted 14 years ago

how do you find out if someone has plagarized your stuff?

1. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 14 years agoin reply to this

One useful thing you can do is use Google Alerts. Go to http://groups.google.com/alerts and fill out the form. You'll need a google groups account, but that's free.

I plan to write a hub on protecting your hubs, so ... dibs!

13. Aya_Hajime profile image61
    Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years ago

Sadly, there are a fair number of plagiarized hubs on HubPages as well. I have flagged a few, but have not seen much of a response.

Is there a better way of reporting plagiarized content to the HubPages Team?

14. Christoph Reilly profile image68
    Christoph Reillyposted 14 years ago

Cindyvine:  I sent you a copy of a DMCA report. It's self-explanatory. Any questions drop me a note.

15. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

If someone has plagiarized a hub you can contact the original writer, but it is up to them to file a DCMA document.  As for other sites that have copied my work I have not even had to get to the point where I filed a DCMA. 

Most websites have an admin you can contact to let them know they your work has been plagiarized on their site.  One person plagiarized my hub into the comments section of a BBC article, and they promptly took down the comment within an hour.  Another time a person plagiarized my hub on his personal website, so I just asked him to take it down.  He admitted he had hired people to write content for him, so he did not realize certain articles were plagiarized.  He too also took down this content within a day.

16. jennshon4 profile image59
    jennshon4posted 14 years ago

Being very new here this is some of the best real advice I have seen yet.  Thanks everyone for sharing so much info for how to check if work has been copied, plagiarized or whatnot.  I think this site can be a very useful tool for getting content published for us newbies but we should watch our backs.  Thanks!

17. bgpappa profile image78
    bgpappaposted 14 years ago

Wow, stood up and took the bullet.

On another note, there is great info on this thread, now I just need to write something good enough to steal.

Thanks for the info and I hope it all works out Cindy

18. nicomp profile image62
    nicompposted 14 years ago

definition of irony: Pupa has a hub called "Protect yourself from internet fraud"

1. Pupa profile image61
      Pupaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes i do do you think i defrauded cindy, i requested her permission to share her hub, which she gave me.

thanks for understanding

19. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

well well well the things that have happened on here today, is this a happy end, how could he think he had your pemission.

20. nicomp profile image62
    nicompposted 14 years ago

The article is still posted on winknaija, but there's a vague little annotation at the bottom now. Evidently someone doesn't understand fair use.

You do need to pursue this because it's not going away.

21. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

How irritating, Cindyvine.  I'm angry for you.  Went to the site and saw it there with a little endnote that it's written by you and that Pupa loves your work.  Ugh.  Take it down, mister.  Anyway, for future reference, how does one obtain this DCMA document?

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can find the numbered points you need to include in a standard DMCA complaint over on our own copyright infringment page.  Then email it to the offending website.  I like to add a choice sentence or two at the top about how refusal to remove the content after receipt of a DMCA complaint opens you up to a lawsuit.

1. profile image0
        wordscribe41posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Maddie.  Hopefully I won't need to use that anytime soon.

2. Aya_Hajime profile image61
        Aya_Hajimeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Does HubPages only remove plagiarised hubs after receiving a DMCA complaint from the original author?

What about the duplicate flagging option? Is that usually not looked at?

Thanks for the information.

22. cindyvine profile image70

Well, he has apologised and put my name there so it must be okay now!

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

glad that ended well. I always thought plagiarism was sorta like an urban myth. Never cared too much to check if my material is anywhere else. Apparently, I've gotta rethink on that.

23. cindyvine profile image70

find it and show us, BP!

1. blondepoet profile image66
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yep I am looking now sorry I took so long had to run to the shop...will find it now

24. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

Yes Blonde - show us! That doesn't sound too great ...

25. Mireille G profile image61
    Mireille Gposted 14 years ago

You have gotten a lot of good advice, and I thank you for posting about it because without your post I would not even have thought about checking.
    It is a pain to have to do that all the time, but I see that it is a common problem.
    Please do keep us informed about the results of this particular incident. It would be nice to see what you end up doing and how effective it is. I do hope that it will not be a painful process.

All the best

26. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I cannot find it Cindy, how I came across it in the first place is you google your name, and there was a web page that came up that had been written by some guy like a newsfeed, that listed all blogs related to the topic.
    For example he had a long page on topics on fashion,with full length blogs including my "Oh What Dress Will I Wear",that I wrote and a lot of different fashion hubs there from HP, as well as full length blogs from heaps of different sites,it looks like it may have been taken down though as it is not coming up.I could not work out at the time what the heck it was all about, and then did not remember til now.
    I also did not know there was a hub whitepages lol I saw one just then advertised here and it does not lead here to read it, I don't know how it got there http://hubswhitepages.com/Entertainment … l4707.html

27. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

How did you discover the site to know it was stolen that really sucks, the one I saw mine does not come up anymore,I wish I had written the name down straight away,grrrr

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)