Does Life Show Favoritism?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 15 years ago

Is life a physical and mental test for every individual or just some? Do some have it easier than others in life? We in the United States are in a free country compared to others born in a communist country. Were we favored over them? I would like to know everyones thoughts on these issues.

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think life is a kind of test for everyone where success depends on one's ability to handle or overcome the untoward situations.Yes, you can say that some might be little privileged over others, but at the end its one's ability to control his desires and ambitions as per situation make him successful or whatever you may call it.No one is favored over others;for the time being you may feel that the communists are enjoying less freedom due their leaders,maybe in some other way they are privileged which we totally overlooked.
      Here I wanna say one thing that every political system has the potential to provide the best possible rights to its citizens.Who told communist leaders that there won't be any expression of public opinion?Just a few power hungry communist leaders made it for themselves.Problem occurs when communism turns into totalitarianism.

2. Drew Breezzy profile image62
      Drew Breezzyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

life is a physical and mental test for everyone

some people born are lucky others work for it

3. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
      Gordon Hamiltonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I was born in Great Britain of British stock going as far back as records exist. A few years back, I met and fell madly in love with a naturalised, British citizen - long before I met her - and originally from Russia (raised to adulthood in Communist times.)

Long story short, I lost all my money in Credit Crunch (apart from what she'd already spent!), she then dumped me, she is now living the high life in London and I am scrimping and scraping a living in my old home town. Life favours the cheats and the liars, in my experience anyway. Forgive my cynicism, but experience can be a strange and painful teacher that way.

1. Jewels profile image82
        Jewelsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Is the high life giving her what she wants? Although we are not in her shoes, the high life can be quite superficial, and so why do we think the high life is a reward?

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image96
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, that's a very good point. It is giving her what she wants at the moment (three letter word, beginning with "s" and ending with "x".) That was always her priority - and with as many men as possible, though I obviously only found out at a later time! - but money comes a very close second.

I know and believe that she will pay some day. Those thoughts used to comfort me - no more.

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 15 years ago

Favoured by whom?

Good question by the way. My sons Social Economics is studying all kinds of things like this in school (hes 17) and they have been looking in depth at the Western v Eastern philosphies.
    Democracy has not been as free as many thought and Communist Countries appear to remain on track as far as their economies are concerned.
    I think Western attitudes are arrogant and lazy at times and Communism appears to have more unity, and mock the disloyalty Westerners show their leaders and authority.
    I dont agree with Communism at all ,but I have become disappointed with so called Democracy too.
    Personally its just another label,to make us feel more superior.

marinealways24posted 15 years agoin reply to this

I guess my ultimate question would be: Is anyone favored by our creator?

3. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Everyone get their share, as much as they can handle, no more, no less smile

4. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 15 years ago

Here you go, Marine...said to have been written in dedication to a soldier after the 1st World War:

http://www.wikilivres.info/wiki/Desiderata

Quoted from the above:

If you compare yourself with others,
    you may become vain or bitter,
    for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.
    Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
    Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.

Or, I just found this one, if ya like it better, wink:

http://www.cantrip.org/gamers-desiderata.html

Good Stuff. Thanks for posting.

5. profile image60
    logic,commonsenseposted 15 years ago

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the sky....
    We are what we are.  We are the only ones that truly change ourselves.  Disillusionment is self pity.  Strength is being self confident.  This does not necessarily make you arrogant.  Only one's own ego will do that.

6. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I prefer to believe that we are never given more than we can handle smile for growth.

Hello Dame. I don't know about this one. What about those that commit suicide? Maybe they were given more than they could handle?

1. Dame Scribe profile image56
        Dame Scribeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Personal choice of actions are out of our control as is place of birth and privilege. sad

1. alekhouse profile image71
          alekhouseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You mean, we NEVER have a choice?

1. Will Apse profile image89
            Will Apseposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I remember someone asking Pete Townsend a long while ago if he was happy. He said. "I'm working class, I'm not meant to be happy." Seems relevant somehow.

1. profile image0
              pgrundyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Amen to that too. He's right. smile

lol How true is that statement.  Geez - how many people actually die happy? I mean really?  Not elated, but just happy?

I think Walt Disney and this ideal world is a bit of a crock.  Not that I don't want things to be ideal and happy.  But really truly!

2. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 15 years agoin reply to this

It is my belief that every circumstance of our lives is because of our past actions. It is ALL our own choice. It is the Law of Karma and the act of reincarnation.

It is the only explanation that fits all the facts.

Why do some people get to live in a free country while others don't? Maybe in some other life they stood up for the rights of others. Why are some healthy and some not? Maybe they cared for others who were sick or maybe they just practiced the tenets of good living. Why are some people prodigies at a young age (Mozart, Tesla, etc.) - because they studied those subjects with all their hearts before the current lifetime.

Kind of gives new meaning to "personal responsibility" doesn't it?

7. profile image0
    fierycjposted 15 years ago

Freedom is good and all. But I wouldn't want my country to be as free as America. That's a lil too much freedom for me.

8. onthewriteside profile image60
    onthewritesideposted 15 years ago

Every living thing has value...even if it's a deaf, dumb, blind, mentally impaired, quadriplegic child who still manages to stir a smile on his parents' faces.

9. profile image0
    nazishnasimposted 15 years ago

Probability. If it had been the other way round then the other side would have been asking the same question. It had to be one way or the other; couldn't have been both. So enjoy it while you have it!

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 15 years ago

We are equal in so much as we begin life all needing the same elements and emotional support.
    We dont all get that, but it has all been created.
    For example did you know that the world produces enough food to feed everyone!
    Yet one in every 6 person is still hungry?
    What has gone wrong.
    Not the Creator , he enriched the soil,provided the water,makes the sun shine ,gave people knowledge and appropriate skills so what is missing from the equation?
    Rice has gone up in price?  why,it doesnt cost any to produce than it did 20/30 yrs ago?
    Could it be mans( and womens) greed and power get in the way?
    These are some of my thoughts today.smile

11. santoion profile image60
    santoionposted 15 years ago

I was born in Romania and led a normal life until 1 day the communist regime dissolved. This system in Romania was dictatorial like other similar ones.All the media: news on TV, on the radio, on the Internet...are presented and controlled by the political power. So,everybody who was born in a free country is lucky ...

12. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 15 years ago

Whenever I go on holiday, to beautiful places, and see the children coming home from school, mid day, in the sunny weather, I wonder why I was born in a council estate in greater Manchester........ well now who would not?????

13. earnestshub profile image79
    earnestshubposted 15 years ago

I feel privileged to have been born in Australia, and know how lucky my life has been and is.

14. Jewels profile image82
    Jewelsposted 15 years ago

I agree there ernest re being born in Australia.

It's a good question with vast answers available.  The grass can always look greener in someone else's backyard.  We think from our own standpoint that someone else's life looks better.  It may appear to flow if a person laughs and smiles more than you do.

A persons life could flow and be easy, another persons life could be full of challenges and traumas and at the end of a life the one full of challenges could be the one that was given favor because overcoming challenges can be the most rewarding.  Things are not always as they seem.

1. profile image0

Jewels, I agree. You said that perfectly.

15. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 15 years ago

I was referring to the comment about suicide. We have no control over their actions. Everybody has personal choice tongue

16. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 15 years ago

If A child is born with a life altering disease with no medical explanation compared to a perfectly healty child with a crack head mother, was the healthy child favored over the unhealthy child?

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Favored by whom.Its a matter of choice and probability.In this case
      the probability of the outcome was determined by the crack head mother.

2. profile image0

It's impossible to tell. Richard Pryor's mother was a drug addict and a prostitute and his humor was amazing. People who have very sick children usually say they learned a lot from their child and if the child survives it often grows up with more compassion for people who are sick than a healthy child would have.

It's not the cards you're dealt, it's how you play them.

3. ledefensetech profile image67
      ledefensetechposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Favored by whom?  It's kind of like what Pam said.  You can't choose how you got here.  What you can choose is how you deal.  That's the only thing any of us really have.  Choice.

17. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Wow Pam, we scored yet another one smile

1. profile image0

Misha you're scaring me.

18. Hawkesdream profile image66
    Hawkesdreamposted 15 years ago

I have known some who have nothing and are happier than those that have everything. I think life is what you make it , no more and no less.

19. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

I don't like the theory that if you have a terrible life today it's because of what you did in a previous life. It's like telling people that their situation is their own fault when it isn't always.

1. profile image0

Yes, it is. That's the point. If everything in your life is because of the free will you exercised in a former life, then the lesson from that is, how do you change it from this point on? It's a giant behavior modification lesson. One that you enter into of your own free will.

This bodes well with the evolution of the soul.

20. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

I too tend to think it is. smile

1. profile image0

Ah Misha - always the voice of depth and reason smile

1. Misha profile image65
        Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Not always, only when I agree to you tongue wink

1. profile image0

I disagree. I've read your posts and I find them insightful and well-thought-out. Agreeing with me is just a side benefit smile

21. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

LOL Thank you, I take your compliment with pleasure smile

22. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 15 years ago

Life is both easier and harder for me being a girl. It depends on what about life we're talking about. There are different factors of my life that could make it easier/harder. But again, depends on what aspect of life we are talking about.

I think that life is both physical and mental for all, the level of strength needed depends on the individual.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)