jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What's the difference between keywords and tags?

1. lorlie6 profile image84
    lorlie6posted 7 years ago

What's the difference between keywords and tags?

This is a question only a newbie to computers would ask, I'm sure, but I bought my very first computer a little over a year ago and hope you could write a hub-or an email-about this.  I've looked at some answers given by other hubbers and am still in the dark!
    Thanks!

2. MMMoney profile image65
    MMMoneyposted 7 years ago

Tags are keywords and phrases that describe your Hub. Tags can be important for people using a search engine to find Internet material on topics. They alert the search engines that you have relevant material on the topic described by the tag

3. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 7 years ago

Hi Lorlie smile

Well, keywords and tags are totally different, not even like apples and oranges. You can (and should!) include your keywords into your tags, though.

In essence, keywords are what people are searching for and what you want to rank for. Obviously any word or combination of words in your text can become a keyword (in a sense that you can start trying to rank for it), or already is a keyword (in a sense that somebody is typing it into a search engine).

Tags on the other hand are more like categories. If you click on a tag on any of your hubs, it will bring you to the page that is titled with that tag and contains links to all the hubs that use this tag (could be many pages for popular tags of course). So all the hubs that contain a certain tag (supposedly relevant to the text) link to that page, and that page (relevant to the tag) links back to all of them. This internal linking tells search engines what you think your hub is about. If you did a keword research, you have to include all keywords you are trying to rank for into the tags.

That would be it, in short. I may try to write a hub on this, but I don't hold my breath. However currently I am writing a book about making money on hubpages, and I definitely will include more elaborate explanation there. smile

4. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

You make tags using keywords.  Blogger blogspot calls tags labels.
    You enter tags on your Hubs (right column) or blog posts.  Each tag puts that Hub or blog post or a snippet into a tag page.

When you click on a tag, you are sent to a tag page which has a listing of all the Hubs or blog posts with that tag.

When someone searches Google, what they enter in the search box is a keyword (keyphrase).  If that matches a tag page and/or something on your Hub, you may be shown to the searcher in the search results.

5. Aficionada profile image87
    Aficionadaposted 7 years ago

Here (following) is basically a restatement of what others have said, but in a way that I myself would understand better:

When someone goes to a computer to look up information about a topic on the Internet, they type words and phrases into search boxes (such as on the Google, Yahoo, MSN, or AOL home page, for example).  Those words and phrases - the search terms - are "keywords," whether they are single words or phrases composed of several words.  So these are the terms that Google or whoever will use to find the millions of articles that pertain to that term.

Our goal as writers is to use excellent keywords in our Hub's title, its URL, and in the first paragraph or two of the Hub.  Doing so will make our Hub more visible to the search engine.  Several people here have written Hubs about how to find the best keywords.  You should read and heed their advice, because it's quite probable that someone else somewhere in the world has already written another article on the same topic on another site, using the very same keywords as you. 

Different keywords also have different monetary value - and this is getting more complicated than you need here.

Tags are, as the others have said, words and phrases that help within HubPages to identify the topic of a Hub and to link it to other Hubs with similar content.  Tags can be keywords, but they also may not be.

6. MythiliK profile image64
    MythiliKposted 7 years ago

While browsing questions randomly, I got to see this one and happy to share my hub, which will reply exactly the question asked here :-)

http://hubpages.com/hub/Difference-betw … vs-Tagging

Hope this helps.

7. onegoodwoman profile image76
    onegoodwomanposted 7 years ago

I have had a computer for over 15 years.  Three teens later, there is much to learn.

I do not know the answer.  I barely  understand the questions.  I am a pretender in this regard.

Either I have it, or I do not, either I belong or I do not.  Either, I can keep up or I can not..

I am of the world, that passes me by.

Do not follow me, I am lost in this medium.  I just want volume for my voice.

Let the old folks teach one another............agreement is not neccessary.

8. smcopywrite profile image28
    smcopywriteposted 6 years ago

this is a terrific hub that explains keywords and tags and using them to promote hubs

http://hubpages.com/hub/Another-Hub-for … h-HubPages

working