jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (14 posts)

CANDLES

1. profile image0
    TheSandmanposted 8 years ago

Sometimes we all need help finding our way, thank you my friends for all the candles.

A friend ask me the other day if a candle could burn black ? what do you think his answer was with his explanation?.

He is a scholar and a psychoanalysis, I have often joked with him that we could just as well leave the annalist off the word. I will say that I did not agree his answer.

2. wrenfrost56 profile image82
    wrenfrost56posted 8 years ago

I don't think a candle can burn black I think it would just burn out. I also just wanted to say on the subject of candles what an old drama teacher said to our class once, that has always stuck with me. "Blowing out someone elses candle, does not make yours shine brighter" I think there is very much truth in this.

3. profile image0

I agree with your drama teacher

4. Colebabie profile image59
    Colebabieposted 8 years ago

Just in Hocus Pocus

5. wrenfrost56 profile image82

He was a very good teacher, one of my favourites he had lot's of passion for his work and had a very big influence on me, very well travelled. He used to quote really good proverbs all the time. Really great guy.

6. jonwenberg profile image56
    jonwenbergposted 8 years ago

I think the question about a candle burning black is a rhetorical analogy, alluding to the idea that you can not be someone other than yourself, or saying to be satisfied with your own uniqueness.

do you think?

7. profile image0

jonwenberg, your mostly right. What my friend says is that if you hold a burning candle in front of a cars headlights the candle will appear to burn black. I say it's just an illusion and the candle is still the same bright yellow flame.

1. jonwenberg profile image56
      jonwenbergposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think I was reading a bit much into it, but your first post left out the part about headlights I think.

But technically, yes probable fits the category of illusion - something to do with cones and rods reacting to extreme differences in light level. Rods mostly.

8. wrenfrost56 profile image82

wow thats really deep. You guys are so smart, I kind of missed the whole rhetoricle analogy and was thinking literally. That is so interesting.

I like your profile image.

1. wrenfrost56 profile image82
        wrenfrost56posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, right back at ya!

my image represents the very best of my genetic code - my three year old. i am just a lunking middle ager with a bit of a second chin - no one wants to see that.

9. wrenfrost56 profile image82

you must be very proud, soooo cute! I have a seven year old boy and he is nearly as big as me! I remember when he was that little, they grow so quick.

Thanks.
      Speaking of candles - she's the light of my life.
      yes, time does go by quickly.

working