Boom! So, you're scared of visiting Flagstaff, AZ or what?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 15 years ago

Although tourism is Flagstaff's number 1 industry, (we even hosted the first family last week).  Many people are still afraid to visit our quaint little town.  The most common fear is of animal attacks; we have healthy populations of elk, black bears, cougars, and coyotes large animals that when provoked are certainly capable of tearing a human limb from limb.

Let me assure the timid among you that animal attacks are down significantly this year thanks to the efforts of our forestry department.  Aside from a small band of rabid skunks, all of the animals have agreed to be on their best behavior through the rest of the tourist season.

1. profile image0
      dennisemattposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I would come visit Arizona, but currently our deer population is outta control, too many tourists feedig the bears or something..so I gots to go defend my garden..

2. nicomp profile image62
      nicompposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ah, yes, but you conveniently overlooked the rampant microbe problem.

1. profile image0

thats not a regional problem, it on all our own bodies!!!!

2. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

I have been to your beautiful town and loved every minute of it.

Ron Montgomeryposted 15 years agoin reply to this

And obviously survived!

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 15 years ago

Everyone was so nice! It was about 15 years ago and I was traveling with my 12-year-old nephew. We had never been to the southwest and all we kept say was "It's so big here!" Everyone kept laughing at us. They would say isn't the ocean big enough? Yes we have the ocean on Cape Cod, but the horizon and sky feels very different.

4. Misha profile image65
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Your helmet scares me to death tongue

It works well as elk protection.

1. profile image0

what about moose, or caribou?

You could try it, but with Moose I would reccomend the shoulder pads as well.

1. profile image0

good idea. thanks.  smile but what about the tourists? the have been known to attack too?

Only when they first arrive.  The altitude makes them sleepy after awhile.

1. profile image0

Oh, good point...flatlander's.....ugh.  smile  i havent ever even looked at your profile yet...I am going now. BTW you missed the masturbation thread, it got closed allready!!

What a shame.  I was looking forward to thoughtful discussions of: techniques, inspirations, accoutrements..etc. etc.

2. Mrvoodoo profile image58
                  Mrvoodooposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Those wishing to indulge in naughtiness should instead proceed directly to the entertainment section of the home page.

1. profile image0

I am sorry I wrote a naughty word!!!! I didnt know it was naughty...omg I cant stop laughing.....I got snipped wiht a super funny phrase..."naughty word"...HAHAHAHAHAHAHA and I wrote OMG all in one day!!!!!
                    but really, I know this is a serious place, and people really make money here. I honestly would never want to jepoardize that, I truly did not know that was a naughty word. I am sorry, and its funny.

2. nicomp profile image62

Actually the level of (in)activity puts them to sleep.

2. manlypoetryman profile image81
      manlypoetrymanposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Got to admit... I thought you were from somewhere else with that helmet. Guess the Cards haven't won you over to their side yet?

I love your fair city...and what an added bonus to jump on over to the Grand Canyon whenever you feel like it...mighty Awesome!

Cards are a close number 2 especially since they have training camp up here, but have been a colts fan since '84.

5. profile image0
    Lady_Eposted 15 years ago

Sounds lovely. Nice to know all the animals are on their best behaviour. I've always wanted to have a closer view of a Bear, without it chasing me...

6. AEvans profile image73
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

I see we are neighbors... big_smile

7. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 15 years ago

I don't know Ron, the weather there seems to stay pretty average.  Who can stand the mid 80's and all that sunshine all the time.

I guess it would be all right if you're into natural wonders and like to breathe fresh air instead of the smog laden cities on the East and West coasts.

1. nicomp profile image62

The weather everywhere is pretty average. By definition.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
        livewithrichardposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Nothing average with the weather in Chicago.  Mark Twain is credited with the saying "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes."  Chicagoans adapted the saying to "...wait and hour."

1. profile image0

where I live, we still wait the 5 minutes.

8. Haunty profile image71
    Hauntyposted 15 years ago

Sentences starting 'Boom! So, you're scared of...' are a registered trademark of another hubber.

A trademark of that type lasts for 48 hours and then falls into public domain.  Recall the many "is it a sin to" threads.  I am hoping for a similar rapid demise of "boom" threads.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)