jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Punctuated Equilibrium

1. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 8 years ago

Does anyone know of a mathematical model for the theory of punctuated equilibrium in evolution?

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Not on a Sunday

2. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 8 years ago

ask him tomorrow he will be able to answer ..... monday he is a genius

1. tantrum profile image60
      tantrumposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you brenda ! I knew you knew all about me! big_smile

1. profile image0
        \Brenda Scullyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

of course i do

3. Aya Katz profile image84

Sure. No problem. It can wait till Monday!

4. Aya Katz profile image84
  5. Lisa HW profile image79
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Aya, I've always assumed that the Mandelbrot Set was at the root of all evolution, with either the "starting make-up of Z" or else some element of C determining the rate at which changes would occur.  I would think that the metabollic rate of any animal is built into the Z, but we can imagine how the C would eventually lead to changes (slowing down) as any animals a) matures individually and b) advanced as a more "developed" species.

http://www.cygnus-software.com/theory/theory.htm

6. Aya Katz profile image84

Lisa, thanks for the input.

I'm actually interested more in the external effects on change in a species than in any internal structural building blocks.

I was trying to find a correlation between equilibrium in evolutionary development (the periods of stasis) and equilibrium in an economic system.

According to the punctuated equilibrium model, evolution does not develop gradually. There are long periods when species remain exactly the same. Then, under the pressure of events, rapid speciation occurs.

It seems the economy is given to the same sorts of record breaking events followed by long periods of seeming stability.

7. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 8 years ago

My life has been a model of punctuated equilibrium.
    Or equi-libations and punctuation.  I forget which.

1. Lisa HW profile image79
      Lisa HWposted 8 years agoin reply to this

lol    I know what you mean about that.   smile

2. Aya Katz profile image84
      Aya Katzposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Teresa, yes, I think all our lives are a little bit like that!

8. Lisa HW profile image79
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

Aya, the way I think I'm seeing the Mandelbrot Set apply is that it would apply to the big picture - from external on down to internal.  If one thinks of the simple formula it does show how gradual (or dramatic) changes take place.  What it doesn't show, of course, is exactly what "every little element of C" is. 

I would think that the difference between punctuated evolution (of anything) versus a more gradual process would depend on (to put it in super-simple terms) the "size" and/or complexity and/or make-up of "C".  Again, though, this only demonstrates the process by which change occurs, as opposed to showing the exact "elements" of it.

If you use human beings as an example, you can start "out at the universe", go "down to society" and then "down to more immediate external and internal factors" that would make up the "C" in any human being (including all the way "down" to cell growth and genes).

Definitely "size" is an issue -- turning something that was merely quantitative into a qualitative difference.

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 8 years ago

I don't know, but will this help you?
    http://www.isr.syr.edu/vplab/Evo_models.htm

Ralwus, thanks! That does seem to be directly on point.

10. profile image0
    ralwusposted 8 years ago

Am tickled to have genuinely been of service to you.

working