Staying up too late on the computer

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (65 posts)
  1. elisabethkcmo profile image78
    elisabethkcmoposted 14 years ago

Are you staying up way too late because you can't get off the computer?  Like right now?  I know I'm guilty.

1. emievil profile image68
      emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same here. I'm trying to cut down on my computer time but hubpages is making it difficult for me big_smile.

1. anjalichugh profile image69
        anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Same holds true for me. I don't know how to cut the cords of attraction between me and my laptop. smile

2. profile image0
      mtsi1098posted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know I find it difficult to stay up late but have no problem getting up at 3:30am to hub smile

3. vancouver profile image41
      vancouverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Guilty as charged. smile

4. profile image0

think I will have some Peanut Butter smile

1. profile image0
        Aquaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm debating having some Turtle Tracks Ice Cream...we must have the late night munchies.

1. profile image0

well that sounds much better...try PB on top smile

2. elisabethkcmo profile image78
        elisabethkcmoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh my, how astute of you, it's almost time for breakfast too!!

1. profile image0

It must be 3:30am...I am up again

5. Lady_E profile image62
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm very guilty. Used to log off at 11pm now its shifted to 1am... smile

my doctor told me that the light from the computer screen simulates daylight and resets our internal clock.... oh well
        big_smile

1. vancouver profile image41
          vancouverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

interesting i hadn't heard that before, i guess that explains it all smile

6. hnbiz silhou3tte profile image54
      hnbiz silhou3tteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i am too...want to lessen the time..but can't help it.!! lol

7. AEvans profile image70
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I do the same thing and then I find that at some point I crash and burn and do not look at the computer for a day, well I peek! lololoo big_smile

ah, kindred spirits! so now I don't feel quite so wacky!

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

since finding HP, going to bed much later and that's a good reminder about the computer screen~~~ I recently read in a blog that it's good to keep contrast in lifestyle, like if we've spent a lot of hours online, then to do something completely mindless, nothing coming in~~~~~  hmm

8. Lighting Lady profile image61
      Lighting Ladyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes, for sure, I stay up wayyyy to late workin on my website and bouncing around in forums.  It's 12:30 now so about 2 more hrs to go.

2. profile image0
    Leta Sposted 14 years ago

I'm actually writing...but keep sneaking into the forums.  It isn't THAT late on the West Coast.

1. profile image0

Thanks Lita - I feel less guilty now!

soon it won't be late at night here, it will be early in the morning... not sure when the change takes place!?!

1. profile image0

5:00 a.m. and onward? Can't really deny it's morning then, right?

3. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Wow! Can you see me? LOL! Yes, I'm staying up too late on the computer and also watching How Clean Is Your House smile

I'm doing laundry, watching "Up To The Minute" and, of course, on HubPages.  It's 330am in KC.

1. profile image0

I would be doing laundry if my other half wasn't sleeping. When he travels I can have the tv turned up, the laundry going and maybe even fire up the vacuum cleaner, all in the middle of the night.  smile I'm a nightowl at heart - always have been.

1. profile image0

just as long as you are not hitting the keyboard too hard making noise smile

thats funny!

4. Gringoperry profile image60
    Gringoperryposted 14 years ago

It is 09:56am here, so am I just up too early?

1. profile image0

Hello Gringoperry - Welcome to Hubpages smile

It's early if you stayed up past 4am your time this morning!!

1. Gringoperry profile image60
        Gringoperryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well almost; but I tend to function on about four hours sleep...just about.

5. kuirq profile image61
    kuirqposted 14 years ago

I'm guilty of that as well...somehow, it's more addicting to work on the computer when the rest of the house is still.

6. Gringoperry profile image60
    Gringoperryposted 14 years ago

Thank you Aqua, that is very kind of you. :^}

7. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

Yes - I have also heard the computer screen does have that effect. Apparently, the television would have the same effect if we were to sit close to it.

you mean we aren't supposed to sit with the tv on our laps? haha
      big_smile

8. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I never log off at night, I just pass out smile

now thats a good idea, I need to try that...

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Make sure the laptop isn't lyin on yer belly, sure as hell wakes you smile

1. profile image0

EEK! no computers or tv's on the belly - must remember that!

my belly seems to be my cat's favorite place, no six pack there!

9. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

For the past 5 years I have rarely got more than 4 hours of sleep in any night.

Being a full time oilpatch worker and an affiliate marketer takes up a lot of time but to me well worth it for the rewards I see.

10. Gemsong profile image61
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

It is currently 5:48am. I've been up since 4am. I have not been able to get no more than 5 hours of sleep for ages.

And being unemployed that's why I've been writing hubs. I'd kill for just one night of restful sleep without medicinal help.

gak. kill me now.

what would the good times be if we didn't have bad times to compare them to? I hope for you that bad times are almost over, and your good are about to start.  tongue

11. hubby7 profile image63
    hubby7posted 14 years ago

I get up at 3:00 in the morning to go to work. I try to get at least 5 hours of sleep a night. They tell me that 6 hours is the least amount of sleep we should get; otherwise--to be a party-pooper--it could lead to serious health problems down the line. So if you care about your health, put the computer down and get some rest. Control it. Don't let it control you.

One thing I didn't know that I learned from you-- and am grateful for--is that the computer screen simulates daylight. Thanks!

you are so right, I need to listen to my own advice...
      turn off the computer and get a little sleep (fortunately I'm off today) or, have a cup of coffee, enjoy the morning, and pretend that you slept last night.  I do that from time to time.

12. Gemsong profile image61
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

But... but... but I shut down the computer. Just can't stay asleep. My brain is too busy.

13. profile image0
    Aquaposted 14 years ago

I'm getting confused about who's still up and who's up early. Wait, could this mean I'm finally getting tired? smile

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I can rarely stay up that long any more. I have had a couple of all-nighters in the past year. Gone are those days when I could go out to a dance club until 2am and be at work for 7am.

1. profile image0

When people say they only need "X amount of hours per night" and the X is under 5 - I always wonder how old they are. smile Those all nighters are over for me now too.

I still stay up late sometimes (like right now), but not without feeling really lousy later!  OK, I need to turn off future Big Brother...

1. profile image0

My problem isn't staying up late - it's wanting to sleep-in all the next day smile

15. affiliategypsy profile image60
    affiliategypsyposted 14 years ago

Well being new here I found this place late at night.  It was instantly like a wake up because within minutes I was addicted.  Hmm not sure if the addiction will last but I do see a lot of late nights ahead.

be afraid.... be very afraid... of yourself!
      (but that's just me)

2. profile image0

Yes, HP can be an addiction - Welcome smile !!!

16. wrenfrost56 profile image55
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

I am up frequently up till about 3am because hubpages is massivly addictive and if i'm not writing i'm in the formum or reading others hubs. It's crazy I am trying to finish earlier but time just fly's by.

17. tammyfrost profile image84
    tammyfrostposted 14 years ago

I don't ever go to sleep anymore lol!

1. Lisa HW profile image63
      Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's along the lines of what I seem to be doing these days - up super late, up super early, skip sleeping a day here or there.  You can't live a life "offline" and have your computer time without something having to go, so that's sleep.   smile

I am so there with you..finally fell asleep this morning at 7am, woke up at 930 (off work today)
        Just can't do that more than about once a week, surely it's bad for our health...???

18. jabyrd82 profile image61
    jabyrd82posted 14 years ago

Sleep huh there is no time for sleep (must write hubpages)!!!

19. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

Who can sleep now. With Hubpages. My earliest is 3am! and i have been known to work here until 6am. Have a goal to meet.

20. torimari profile image66
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Since I finished my internship exactly 2 weeks ago, I don't have to get up early now. My bedtime is roughtly 3:30 AM on the computer or not. I love being a creature of the night...on the computer and such.

21. profile image0
    mariyammaposted 14 years ago

Putting a bed near the computer is good

22. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

Sometimes yea when I can't sleep I stay on the computer longer.

1. jobalert profile image61
      jobalertposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You should consult a doctor to get deaddiction from computer syndrome

23. DoodleLyn profile image73
    DoodleLynposted 14 years ago

Definitely staying up waaayyyy too late. Tonight I'm really going to try to get off NOW, it's 1 AM here. Many nights it's more like 2 or 3 AM before I can close the computer lid! Can we all say "addiction?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)