Don't worry about clicks - what is your conversion factor?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)
  1. yoshi97 profile image57
    yoshi97posted 14 years ago

Clicks are hits to your pages, but as we all know, clicks don't equate to profits. However, your conversion factor does.

Plainly said, your conversion factor is your number of page hits, divided by the number of clicks you receive in adsense. So, if you received 1000 page hits, and out of those you had 100 clicks, then you had a conversion factor of .1. Multiply that by a hundred and this gives to a 10% conversion factor, which I would consider to be really good.

And why is your conversion factor important?

Well ... if examined over time it gives you an excellent baseline to work off of to determine how well your hubs are profiting.

If you have a really low conversion factor, then your hubs might need some work or you might be writing on topics that don't convert well. If you think this might be the case, then you can go into Google Adsense and individually watch each hub to see whiuch are receiving the clicks and then determine the conversion factor for each hub, to see which are winners ... and which just aren't panning out.

If you find a real high conversion factor on a hub, then congratulations ... you've found an excellent niche to write in, as that one appears to be converting for you.

So, what's your conversion factor for the past 7 days? To find out, do the following:

1. Click 'My Account' above and write down the number below the '7 days' column.

2. Next, click on 'Affiliate Settings' above and then click on 'Check Your Google Earnings' (you already signed up for adsense, right?).

3. Switch the view to last 7 days.

4. Divide the clicks into your '7 days total'

This will give you your conversion factor

Don't share the math here ... just the final result, as it's Google Adsense frowns on sharing click count.

So ... for example ...

I had 100 visits in the past 7 days and I had 10 clicks. That makes my conversion factor .1 or 10%

However, my actual conversion factor is 1.7%, though that's due to the fact that I wrote a lot of topics that are non-conductive to clicks, such as writing topics and topics about hubpages.

Taking those out of the equation, I get a conversion factor of 2.9%. This means I get about 3 clicks for each 100 hits on my hubs.

So, what's a good conversion factor? I can't say for certain, though I imagine 1% should be consider a step in the right direction. I'll allow the pundits to argue that one out, as I am just here to offer a barometer for you to check your earnings vs.  hits revenue. smile

P.S. Don't add in the hubs you did without ads, as those would work against your conversion factor. After all, if there's no ads on a certain hub, then how could there be clicks. smile

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Yoshi ,do ya think you could turn this info into a hub ,so I can save it smile

2. lrohner profile image70
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

If you track your individual hubs in AdSense, it already gives you the conversion rate for each hub -- and the proper rate. What your equation hasn't taken into account is that your AdSense ads are only displayed 60% of the time. In AdSense, that is taken accounted for when displaying the conversion rate (Page CTR).

And just to get the terminology right (because lots of people who have blogs/websites outside of HP do get these confused), 'hits' are not visits, visitors or pageviews. A 'hit' is simply a file that is downloaded from a server. So if your hub has 6 text capsules and 4 photos (hypothetically), one visit to that hub would effectively count as 10 'hits' on HP's server.

Ohhh good point Irohner ,n heres me gettin all excited translated my 32 cents to $13:20 ,silly kiwi..lol hugsss

1. lrohner profile image70
        lrohnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kiwis are not silly. smile

I say go for gold and make that $13.20 into a hundred bucks! big_smile

I say I like your thinking wink

3. profile image0
    ryankettposted 14 years ago

Surely you must realise that the CTR is exactly the same thing as your so called 'conversion rate'.

That information is plonked straight in front of your face by both Adsense and Analytics.

If I get 100 views, 1 click, I have a 1% CTR. No questions asked, no other information necessary, I get to see that whenever I want?

4. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Does anyone know what a good click-through rate would be?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)