jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (13 posts)

Do You Think Having A Nice Profile Picture Helps Attract Followers?

1. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

Do You Think Having A Nice Profile Picture Helps Attract Followers?

I have noticed that profile pictures that feature good looking women seem to have more followers, especially in a short amount of time.  Is this just a coincidence?

2. Reprieve26 profile image71
    Reprieve26posted 6 years ago

It might just be a coincidence but then again this is a country that fixates on beautiful things... so, maybe there is some truth to your theory. You could do an experiment-- post a profile picture of beautiful people (not necessarily women) and see if your number of followers increases rapidly. wink

3. The Blagsmith profile image77
    The Blagsmithposted 6 years ago

Hmm I had a few that followed me that had attractive profile pictures and when I went to initially follow them - they did indeed have a ton of followers.

So to answer your question, in my opinion it is not a coincidence, however the followers may be irrelevant as it is only those who actively participate in the reading of your hubs and leaving comments that are the most important.

4. albertovich profile image61
    albertovichposted 6 years ago

That shouldn't be but we are very visual and we are attracted to beautiful things, that's why we are pre disposed judging before we read, bad news for the people who are not "beautiful" like me but I invite you all to keep reading, alot of the readings are worth the time. That's why I post up my true self. Lol

5. dan-1 profile image74
    dan-1posted 6 years ago

It certainly doesn't hurt.  personally I look at titles and topics and decide whether to follow based on content.

6. FloraBreenRobison profile image59
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 6 years ago

I'd say it is a coincidence. Great writing gets you followers. What I see as a major factor is having an avatar, period.

7. Pollyannalana profile image87
    Pollyannalanaposted 6 years ago

I think it is true, I have seen some with soooo many followers and they haven't even done a hub yet. Hmm something to think about, lol.

8. Peter Owen profile image61
    Peter Owenposted 6 years ago

I think it is true. Why? Maybe fantasy that the person in the picture will notice us for some reason and be interested.

9. prektjr.dc profile image85
    prektjr.dcposted 6 years ago

It may or may not be a coincidence, but I did notice an increase in followers when a picture was put on rather than keeping the nondescript icon.  I think we all look for attractive whether it be an attractive person, place or thing.  It would be an interesting experiment to try!

10. Bretsuki profile image79
    Bretsukiposted 6 years ago

For me, it doesn't matter too much. As I am blind.

But in general I think that you have a good point. There is a real benefit to having a nice looking profile picture and I have noticed that a couple of my female friends whom I introduced to HubPages got many more views, followers and fans than the male friends whom I have introduced.

So yes I think it helps to have an attractive profile picture and it helps if that picture is of a female face.

11. melbel profile image96
    melbelposted 6 years ago

I think it makes a difference, but only if you can tell it's the real person. For example, I see a lot of people all over the Internet who use a stock photo for their avatar and I think it's to give off a "professional" feel.

However, I don't really feel that it's really all that professional to use a picture of a person that's obviously not yourself as your avatar photo.

Stock photos are known for being "fake" and HubPages strongly urges users to use their own pictures in their hubs, especially ones that are taken with a semi-decent camera, with good lighting, etc.

It's because people can smell "fake" from a mile away. When using a fake photo for an avatar, it's the same thing. People want to read content from people who speak from the heart and from their own experiences. I think having a realistic photo of yourself can help convey this image.

It's not just a female thing, it works for men, too. Even people who don't consider themselves attractive can pull it off. Just put on a decent shirt, go outside or somewhere where there is good lighting and work on getting a great avatar photo!

To answer your question, I think a REAL photo of yourself taken in good lighting really affects your followers AND your readership as a whole. I think it increases how believable your content is. It makes people think you've really been there -- actually have done the things you speak of in your hubs.

12. dilipchandra12 profile image78
    dilipchandra12posted 6 years ago

May be.. may be not. But i mostly go with yes. I saw so many user accounts with girls pics. They Joined recently and have got fair number of followers and interesting thing was they have not published even a single hub. Pic Magic..!! LOL

13. Jeannieinabottle profile image92
    Jeannieinabottleposted 6 years ago

I do think having a nice profile pic helps.  I tend to ignore profiles that do not have a picture at all.  I mean, seriously, you can't just add a picture of some pretty flowers in your yard or a pic of your dog?  Give us something to make us interested.  People are very visual and like to look at something.  If I see a profile without some type of avatar I think the person does not care enough about Hubpages to even post a photo.