A Good Deed

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Gemsong profile image63
    Gemsongposted 14 years ago

Ever do something that makes you feel better about yourself? That's happened to me today. I was on my way home from work this afternoon when I saw a guy walking up the road. That area was more like a country road than anything else. My instinct said stop and give him a lift. Usually I don't do such a thing due to the inherent danger.

I'm glad I listened to my gut. His destination was four miles up the road at a shopping center's Wendy's. I saved him a long walk at least one way.  Then to my surprise I found out that he was deaf.  Not only that but I remembered enough of Amerslan to talk to him. You should have seen the smile that lit up his face.

After I dropped him off I fel really good about myself. I just felt like sharing.

1. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 14 years agoin reply to this

we neede more folks like you Gem, BRAVO

2. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

That's truly a wonderful gesture on your part, Gemsong smile smile and be proud.

3. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

well done, but be careful of making this a habit, the next person you pick up may not be so nice........  i am such a mother hen....

4. SunShineSnow profile image61
    SunShineSnowposted 14 years ago

Truly wonderful. You are a very sweet lady.

5. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

Gemsong - it seems a sad state of affairs that it seems crazy just to do something nice for a stranger. Bet  you feel good and your trust of people vindicated.

6. Gemsong profile image63

Thanks everyone. Like I said it was something I wouldn't normally do, but this time I'm glad I did.

7. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

That is really sweet Gemsong. thank you for sharing that story. It was totally nice and made me smile. smile

8. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

Wonderful Gemsong!  Trust your instincts -- they are never wrong!

9. Dale Mazurek profile image62
    Dale Mazurekposted 14 years ago

Great to hear this in a world full of misery and turmoil and guess what ladies and gents we here it here in Hubpages.

10. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

That's great to hear, Gemsong.  I once picked up a guy during a blizzard that needed to get to the hospital to see his wife.  Every good deed always come back to you, like my posting this is my 1000th big_smile

11. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Did an angel speak in yer ear? You must be one.

12. Gemsong profile image63

You folks are making me blush without makeup here.

Just wanted to share my story and share some good vibes with my friends.

13. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

ooo send me some vibes..I'm cranky today LMAO

14. dohn121 profile image81
    dohn121posted 14 years ago

I definitely know what it's like to be down on your luck...However, there is a fine line between being diplomatic and being a sucker.  Lots of people out there take advantage of the kindness of others...To them, kindness is a weakness rather than a strength.

1. VioletSun profile image80
      VioletSunposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point! I am generous and often help others, but can see when someone is trying to take advantage, so I know when to back off and say no in a diplomatic way. I have been taken advantage of when I was younger. wink  One must learn to use discernment and wisdom.

1. profile image0
        Ghost32posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Under a particular tree at the exit from a Sierra Vista, Arizona, parking lot, "chronic" homeless types sit and solicit.  Pam and I will help homeless folks whenever we're not dead broke ourselves and our gut tells us it's the thing to do, but not to anyone in that spot--one guy's been there most mornings for YEARS and is most likely doing better dollar-wise than we are. 

But yesterday one dude in that spot really did get my attention.  He was seated at his ease...with an extremely legible  cardboard sign that proclaimed:

WHY LIE?  NEED A BEER!

I was in a hurry to get home and did not stop, yet definitely  wanted to know how "truth in advertising" was working for him... lol

Gemsong, you done good.

15. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

This is beautiful to read Gemsong. You were this man's angel today. smile

16. VioletSun profile image80
    VioletSunposted 14 years ago

Ghost32: That is a very unique way of panhandlilng but at least the guy was honest. LOL!!!  lol

17. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

I remember years back, we picked up a hitchhiker, he was French, a young guy bumming around the US. We were young too. The car radio was on, we were listening to the Olympics, at Munich when they had that terrible shooting. We were all upset. So we invited the French guy to our apartment and we all sat around watching the terrible news and crying together.

18. Luciendasky profile image61
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

that is awesome big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)