Well, allow me to retort

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

http://markpknowles.com/wp-content/uploads/Samuel_L_Jackson_cool_with_gun.bmp
    I will now deal with the recent personal character assassination attempt upon me by Hoodala in this forum thread:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/2320

Despite the fact that the first thing he said in his forum post was that he in no way intended this as a "personal character assassination," - he then proceeded to attempt exactly that.

Hoodala-

I am not sure I can cover every single point of attack - I have better things to do with my time, but I feel I can't let this completely slide, because you made this such a personal attack. I take pride in my writing and I take pride in the fact that I don't feel the need to con people or lie to them and you basically accused me of lying.

As far as my How I got my hub to be on google's first page hub, this was written in response to several people who were promoting themselves on the forum in a thread named exactly this title. I took exception because the search terms they were claiming to OWN, were largely never searched for and I was not impressed at the likely amount of traffic they would generate.

"online goldmine," being one of them.

I wrote the hub to do exactly what I said I was going to do in the opening. I was going to show you how I personally managed to get one of my hubs on the front page of google for a particular search term. And I did exactly that.

The forum thread is here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/1773

If you had taken the trouble to look that up, perhaps you would not have attacked me in this fashion. I don't know.

I made no outrageous claims as to how difficult a search term it was and even made reference to one of my other hubs that I was having trouble getting found by google. The other one, Forex Trading guide is actually buried back in the 26th page of the results for that search term.

I do expect it to move up the rankings eventually, but it is unlikely to ever hit the front page because of the MASSIVE amount of competition for that term and the incredible amount of websites named Forex Trading Guide or some other derivative. Quite apart from that, I am not a foreign exchange broker, therefore I am not making staggering amounts of money ripping people off, so it is not worth the effort.

Having said that, one of my forex hubs The Best Forex Broker is currently on the second page for the search term best forex broker and is generating good traffic, so I guess I am doing something right.

As far as the advice I gave in that hub, I genuinely believe that it will work - within certain limitations. I very much doubt I could get a hub to the front page with a search term like Forex Trading Guide, without a substantial amount of promotional effort. I can do all the keyword density analyses, long tail keyword phrase research and SEO optimization I like and I am still not getting to the front page.

Also, you need to take into consideration the target audience. There are a lot of new hubbers and people new to writing for the internet on the site and bamboozling them with terms such as "long tail keyword research," and the like is frankly a waste of time - both theirs and mine.

I genuinely believe what I wrote and it is true. This is what I did to get my hub on the front page of google for that search term. End of discussion.

As far as you thinking I am selling something in my Making Money Online hub, the last time I checked, that involved one party giving money for something. I asked for no money. All I did was share my experiences of making money online for a time. Nothing else, nothing sold here.

I guess you could argue that I am promoting myself, which I suppose is true every time I produce anything on the internet. Unlike yourself, I put my name and a photo of myself with just about everything I write (a few exceptions being clients who prefer I do not do that and I respect their wishes.)

But that is different to selling something.

They say imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but to have you produce a hub titled almost exactly the same as mine and then proceed to attack me and accuse me of deliberately misleading people is offensive.

I took a look at the website you are promoting on this hub. Quite frankly, there is not one single piece of information on that blog that I have not seen published elsewhere - Nothing new. You have just regurgitated the same old stuff every other would-be SEO guru has been writing for years. Oh, and for your information, google no longer pays referral fees for getting people to sign up for adsense so you might as well take those posts down.

Clearly, I have offended you in some way and I understand your frustrations. We are all finding it harder than we thought to make money online, but I am not sure that warrants a personal attack.

The internet is a fluid, ever changing environment. The rules change, the page rank values change, the google algorithm changes almost daily, the affiliate programs can drop you at a moments notice and it is very much a one way street. If google decides to drop your ass from the adsense program or reduce your page rank for selling links - bye, bye.

But the advice I have given in both these hubs is timeless.

You are not going to have your page rank reduced for providing good quality, well written information.

You are not going to be booted off the adsense program for taking the time to do good research and providing links to other good quality reference sources.

If you find several small sources of income rather than one big one, you can afford to lose one without going broke.

Some of the things you are suggesting on your website may have worked two years ago, but they certainly won't work now. And even if they did - they are not your ideas.

I believe everything I write and I think that comes across in my work. If I think it sucks I will say so. If I think it works, I say so. The reason I am relatively successful is just that - I am not turning out the same old garbage as everyone else.

On a more personal note, I couldn't care less what you think of me. I find it difficult to respect anyone who writes a hub entitled, "Blondes with big boobs," and to be perfectly honest, you are one of the people I am talking about when I say the internet is 99% rubbish.

You can respond to this if you wish, but I will not be replying. I am still sulking after the last round of arguments, and this was a one-off performance just for you.

If you wish to continue the argument, feel free to send me a personal mail and in the mean time thank you for all your promotional efforts on my behalf. More traffic, more comments, more fans, it's all good.

2. kpfingaz profile image66
    kpfingazposted 16 years ago

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

- Jules Winnfield (Pulp Fiction)

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

Mark's clearly got his technique down and everything.  He don't be ticklin' or nothing.

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

I must say I read the beginning of that Hub and didn't bother reading the rest, as it was obvious Hoodala had missed your point, Mark. 

Don't let it worry you, we all know you're a quality Hubber.

5. coolbreeze profile image43
    coolbreezeposted 16 years ago

How I got my hub to be on google's first page

Wow nice verbiage Mark ;-)
    Where did you come up with that?
    Sounds like something that some crazed Internet person would write on a Forum? he he

Just my opinion

Its not necessary for you to defend your self Mark, Your work and contribution to this community
    speaks for itself    You know that.  Your Pal ,Rik

6. chabrenas profile image61
    chabrenasposted 16 years ago

Like the man says, he's not the greatest writer on the planet. But I wonder what triggered that outburst. Methinks he doth protest too much. Ah well, let's all get back to work...

7. Paraglider profile image88
    Paragliderposted 16 years ago

Jings!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)