jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (12 posts)

pictures from google-aren't free?

1. prasadjain profile image15
    prasadjainposted 9 years ago

Google has millions of images floated in it.Whenever we click for an image, it appears and we can select and use it for the purpose hub articles.Whenever a picture is selected,it appears seperately and below that, a general statement appears-'pictures may be scaled down and subjected to copyright'.But we can easily save that picture and use it with aricles. When that picture is enlarged, mentioning of copyright doesn't appears there.(It appears in some cases.I am not referring to such photoes) In that case, are we free to use them for our articles?I am asking for hub uses only, not for printing purposes. Has anybody come across  such problem?

2. kpfingaz profile image71
    kpfingazposted 9 years ago

No, you cant just use any photo you find in Google Images.

While some of them may not be copyrighted, some of them are and if you just copy them it will be stealing.

If you need pictures to spice up your hub you can use free stock photo sites like sxc.hu.

You'll find thousands of photos on these sites on any subject that you can use on your hubs without worry. Some stock photo sites require you to link back to them but the ones I mentioned on my hub don't.

1. prasadjain profile image15
      prasadjainposted 9 years ago in reply to this

Thanks kpfingaz .Your suggestion provides an alternative.

Thank you Mr. Darkside. Those indivisual photographers specifically mention it below their photoes.

1. Marisa Wright profile image92
        Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago in reply to this

The photos you see on Google were also taken by individual photographers - just because their name isn't shown, doesn't mean there is no copyright.

3. darkside profile image81
    darksideposted 9 years ago

Google doesn't own the rights.

Copyright belongs to whoever took the photo or the person who paid them to do so.

4. profile image0
    daflaposted 9 years ago

What you CAN do, and I've done it, is to post the picture with a link below it to the original webpage.  I did that in my Hillary article on both the pics.  It fulfills the copyright rule that you can use a little of a site, and link back to the rest of it.  So there you go.  It IS legal to use the pics, just not without a link back to the original source.

5. sevenGEIN profile image52
    sevenGEINposted 9 years ago

As a photographer and graphic designer, I know that I'd be upset to have published something to the internet only to find someone else has purloined it - especially if it was on a domain and I was paying for bandwidth >_< Most people will actually let you use it, if only you ask them first. Its not that hard, providing that you can track down the owner.

6. belief713 profile image74
    belief713posted 9 years ago

Thanks for this topic. I was wondering the same thing myself the other night and meant to ask about it.

So, I guess that means we can't just use any images...but what if when we use the image, we don't save it to our computer, but use the web option given when creating a picture hub? Thank creates a backlink to the site right? Does that protect us then?

1. darkside profile image81
      darksideposted 9 years ago in reply to this

I don't think you can upload from a URL, however if you could the result would still be the same.

If you mean that you'd hotlink to the image (which you can't do at hubpages.com, but you could if you had your own website) then that creates another problem, stealing the persons bandwidth.

1. belief713 profile image74
        belief713posted 9 years ago in reply to this

Ok, for example, when I look for a pic, I go to images.google.com and then type in what type of pic I'm looking for. Then I click on the image and then usually click on it again and it gives me the image url. When I put the image on my hub, I put the url in (under the Add new Photos tab) and select "the web button"" and then insert the url link.

7. kpfingaz profile image71
    kpfingazposted 9 years ago

Thats called hotlinking and is an even worse offence than using the pictures themselves.

Think about it as if your neighbour was connecting to your electricity and you had to pay the bill.

1. belief713 profile image74
      belief713posted 9 years ago in reply to this

Ok, great (*sarcastically). I thought it was good (for both parties) because it provided a backlink, but I guess not.

Looks like I have some pics to change or permission to request. Thanks for the help.

working