jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (7 posts)

How do you handle criticism about your writing?

1. truthfornow profile image83
    truthfornowposted 6 years ago

How do you handle criticism about your writing?

2. ChristinS profile image95
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

I think it depends on the "criticism".  If it is helpful and suggests ways for me to improve and it's done in the proper manner I am grateful for it.  However, it if is just tearing someone down for the sake of doing it or doesn't really leave me feeling I've learned something then I tend to ignore it.  I think sometimes there is a fine line between genuine criticism and just being judgmental or unnecessarily harsh.

3. darrensurrey profile image74
    darrensurreyposted 6 years ago

If someone just says "You're wrong" or "That's nonsense" without quantifying their opinion then it says more about them than you. If they've given you nothing to work on to improve what you've done then their comment is as useful as a chocolate teapot. On the other hand, if someone explains where they think I can improve, then I wholeheartedly welcome their opinion.

4. princesswithapen profile image90
    princesswithapenposted 6 years ago

Negative criticism, whether it is in the form of bad comments or negative feedback on your website, blog or any other post, is easy to give. Readers can easily post their rants in a comment box and click a button. That's all it takes to insult a writer's talent and hard work that has gone in to creating a post. As an online writer, if you have been subject to such feedback, you can either sulk and feel unworthy of writing ever again, or learn how to deal with negative criticism. read more

5. jenniferrpovey profile image91
    jenniferrpoveyposted 6 years ago

How do you deal with criticism of your writing? As writers, we have to face criticism, constructive or otherwise, and bad reviews all the time. Facing this reality sometimes requires walking away from the keyboard. read more

6. raciniwa profile image73
    raciniwaposted 6 years ago

I don't usually see criticism as something hurting but it's a way a person vents his/her frustrations...it's just that he/she uses your page to let the air out, so i just let it be...for me there are no wrong emotions, whether they may be anger or sarcasm, they just are...

7. MyGirlThursday profile image78
    MyGirlThursdayposted 6 years ago

"You've got to be the biggest idiot ever; I pity your parents." How do you handle terrible criticism about your writing? Feel like you'll never write again after that flaming review? Fear not, dear writer. I've given you a weapon. read more

working