My earnings suddenly plummeted to half of what they uusally are

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (21 posts)
  1. izettl profile image82
    izettlposted 6 years ago

My earnings have gone down by half as much per day in January, 2018. Did something change to the earnings program. My page views have not gone down though. So what's going on?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image75
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Oh this is easy to explain. It happens every year. December is a very big shopping month, and so, in December ads pay high. January is a very BAD month for shopping. We just went from the best month of the year to the worst month of the year.

Same thing every year.

Next month should be better, but you shouldn't expect to see better months than November and December. You may make more in other months, but you shouldn't expect to.

2. profile image0
      Jean Harrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Same page views but half earnings can be caused by several things ranging from a change in ad placements, time of year, fewer advertisers, technical issues with ads etc.

It's just after Christmas and end of year so a slowdown is typical, how long have your earnings been lower than normal?

3. Rochelle Frank profile image91
      Rochelle Frankposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You have been here for awhile, so maybe you know that January rates per view, (or CPM) tend to take a nosedive after the holidays. Advertisers are likely to pay more before and during the holidays, because people are in a buying mood during those times. It is part of the normal cycle, and the times of better earnings will continually go up and down during the seasons. Don't let it discourage you. Your work will eventually pay off again as the cycle continues.

1. izettl profile image82
        izettlposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Rochelle- this is actually my first year using the hubpages ad program. I used Google AdSense only before.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image78
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I'm only using Adsense also, and although earnings there are down, I'm still doing triple digits...just not as high as other months.  it will return for me and it will return for everybody as long as topics are searchable and content well written.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

You have a great niche-- stuff that many (certain) people are looking for. Your articles are well written and your experience shows. You are going to be fine. If you don't already have your own site, maybe you should. Hope you have everything backed up.

Thanks for the kind words, Rochelle.  I have tried my own site but it didn't work out.  People read but I earned practically nothing.  This is because I really didn't have the tech know how to take care of it and found myself duplicating the type of info I had on  HP.  I figured I would do better financially to keep writing where the money is!

As for backing things up...oh yes indeedy.!  I copy and paste every article both in HTML and Text onto Word documents and also keep a list of titles, dates and word counts.  Helps me quite a bit to stay organized and not repeat myself...which I have unhappily been known to do!

4. NateB11 profile image85
      NateB11posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I was going to post about this too, I'm not too happy with January earnings, especially when compared to the last couple months. My traffic  isn't great either. But Wes gives a good explanation, happens every year.

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 6 years ago

Advertisers spent all their money in December and are still recovering. Give it time. smile

3. dwelburn profile image80
    dwelburnposted 6 years ago

I was wondering this too. My earnings are well down even though my views are up (fitness and weight loss info is popular in January). So thanks for the explanations.

4. aesta1 profile image95
    aesta1posted 6 years ago

If this is the case that earnings drop in January and are really greta in November and December, should I put my best effort only in November and December and just forget January? What has been your experience?

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No, no. Put your best efforts in now so your article will build traffic and authority by the end of the year. Then you will make even more earnings. smile

5. renegadetory profile image60
    renegadetoryposted 6 years ago

I've had the same thing happen to me, very frustrating.  It's getting to the point where putting any effort into writing hubs really isn't worth it.

1. theraggededge profile image89
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

I disagree. My earnings for this month are well down on November and December 2017. However, they are still four times more than January 2017. I am writing as much as I can, so that my hubs mature nicely in time for the next gold rush big_smile

6. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

You site looks nice. It will roll back up. Question: How do we back up our sites?

1. Rochelle Frank profile image91

Others with more technical expertise may be able to tell you how to back up entire Hubs (screen shots?) , but one should at least have their text for all articles backed up in a Word or or similar document.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

You may already know this, but you don't have a "site" on HP.   I like to encourage people not to use that term, because it's misleading for newbies.    We don't have a separate site each, we are all part of one big site (and now, some of our articles are also part of the niche sites as well).

On HubPages, we each have an "account", which gives us a profile page and a place where we can manage our articles.   However, as far as Google is concerned, we are staff writers on a network of magazines.  Google doesn't know or care that this Hub on RVs was written by Randy, and that Hub on RVs was written by TT2 - it only knows that they're both on AxleAddict.    The same goes for over 90% of our readers - very few of them ever notice who wrote a Hub, and even fewer visit our profiles.

FYI  Kenna joined HP 10 years ago.

1. DrMark1961 profile image99
          DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

The comment was probably helpful to many. Also, some people are newbies even after 10 years. DCMA?

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

Yes. I have the articles and such.  Someone left a link to turn them into PDFs. I thought there might be an HP program.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)