Pet Peeves

Jump to Last Post 1-42 of 42 discussions (66 posts)
  1. Frugal Fanny profile image61
    Frugal Fannyposted 14 years ago

Some of my pet peeves are....

When people use words in the wrong context.

When people use "I seen" instead of "I have seen" or "I saw"

People who stop right in the middle of a busy hallway or sidewalk, or who stop right at the top of the escalator.

What are yours?

2. h.a.borcich profile image60
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

I get peeved when people either drive 20 or more miles above or below the speed limit...They either try to run you over or are begging to be rearended LOL

3. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

When people use "loose" instead of "lose"

4. profile image0
    Denno66posted 14 years ago

Irregardless!!!! Why must that be so?!!!!

Frugal Fannyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I hate that one too, but I have to admit it still sounds like a real word! lol

1. Lisa HW profile image62
        Lisa HWposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol   I saw "irregardless" on HubPages last week, and it was in a Hub and not "just" on the forums.

My pet peeves tend to be centered around grocery-store behavior (specifically, being oblivious to the fact that others exist); although I have a ton of grammar "peeves" and a bunch related to eating/gum-chewing noises.   lol

1. profile image0
          Denno66posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Like the elderly woman who cut in front of me in the Deli department and told the woman behind the counter she was next? I put a hex on her. big_smile

2. Stimp profile image60
        Stimpposted 14 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY.....when someone says something using words incorrectly, whether writing or speaking.....it stops me in my tracks and the only thing I hear from them on is my own head going "is that a word?"

1. profile image0

The person I knew that said it the most's father was an English teacher.

5. TimTurner profile image69
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

People that chew with their mouth open!!!

People that take the elevator one or two flights of stairs when they weight 200+ pounds or if they are young!

People who brake BEFORE turning on their turn signal.  Should be the other way around folks!

Guys who stand at the urinals so close they are touching them (gross).  If you are that scared that someone will see your penis, go in the stalls!  smile

6. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

how about people who clip their nails at work

7. profile image0

A whole 'nother...I'm going through the Stewie litany. big_smile

1. wyanjen profile image69
      wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"A whole 'nother": not a pet peeve for me, I say it constantly. Makes me laff.
      "Irregardless": very irritating.
      "Inflammable": very confusing.
      "Anyhoo": makes me cringe. This one is my pet peeve. tongue

It was about 30 years ago my friends and I realized we were using "a-whole-nother" and couldn't seem to control the use of it; so I decided to accept that it's funny and just use it.  lol  It somehow has more impact than "another whole", and there's even a subtle difference between "a-whole-nother" and "a-whole-other".  I actually occasionally use it in my writing, just to be funny.

lol
          I think "a-whole-other" is the formal use. Whole 'nother is more low brow...

I am sure that I am somebody else's pet peeve: I just can't stop myself from saying "sammich".

Oh good, I'm not the only one who says "sammich" lol

My brother-in-law apparently thinks it's hilarious to always say, "san-hamwich" instead of ham sandwich.  roll  I, on the other hand, don't think that one's all that funny.  lol  I say, "sandwich", rather than "sammich" (sort of not a fan of "sammich", myself  lol ).  Then again, I say, "peetz" for "pizza" because it's "friendly-like", and "doan's" for "donuts" (because my year-old nephew said that about 27 years ago, and it caught on, at least with me  lol).

To me, as long as the user knows the correct thing, none of these things should be pet peeves (unlike, "irregardless" and using "loose" for "lose"  lol  ).  Of course, it could be someone's pet peeve when someone else thinks something is funny but it isn't.  lol

I have to confess: for a long while, scrabble-playing little old me thought it was irregardless! lol

8. lrohner profile image68
    lrohnerposted 14 years ago

When people rush to cut out in front of you -- and you're the only other car on the road! I also go nuts when people say "pitcher" instead of "picture". Passive aggressive anything is a major pet peeve too.

9. bojanglesk8 profile image60
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

Talkative, obnoxious people.

1. profile image0

Thank you!!!! big_smile

10. NaomiR profile image74
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Oh, boy, I have many.... let's see:

When people confuse it's and its

When people indicate the plural of something by putting an apostrophe before the s, i.e. cat's.

When people don't flush the toilet in a public bathroom!

When people talk on their cell phone too loudly.

When people talk non-stop during a movie.

In other words, I'm an old grouch...

The apostrophe bit annoys the heck out of me too.  There are many cats, not something belonging to one cat! Grrrr

lol

11. cocopreme profile image88
    cocopremeposted 14 years ago

One of my pet peeves is making small talk with strangers.  This is especially true of strangers who want to tell you their life story or intimate details like what gives them gas. 

I also hate red lights that aren't timed properly.  The lanes that have very cars in them have a long turn while the lanes that are backed up get just a few seconds.  It always seems like I am in the lane that is backed up and I have to sit through two or three cycles before I can get out of the intersection.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

My upstairs neighbor who stomps around like a wildebeeste.

I'm on the top floor of my building - nobody stomping on top of me smile
      However I'm right above the building manager, so I keep my stomping to a minimum.

Apartment building pet peeve: People who prop the main door to the building open and then leave the area so there is nobody watching. I'm only mildly worried about burglars getting in this way, but you would be surprised at how many door to door salespeople get in because of this.
      There is a giant lock on that door for a reason, people!

13. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

drivers on cell phones~

people having meaningless conversations loudly on cell phones in public places, grocery stores, coffee shops. we really don't want to hear your conversation...

mean or rude people~

14. abcd1111 profile image60
    abcd1111posted 14 years ago

1. Prolific hubbers. Every time I get notified of a new posting, I feel like a loser.

2. Insecure people

3. Humorless people

15. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

I hate when people chew ice.

16. geminimoon profile image60
    geminimoonposted 14 years ago

seeing a man pick his nose while driving.

17. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

Telephone cold callers.  Particularly the ones who start off by saying, "Hello there, how are you today?" even though they don't know you from a hole in the ground.  Especially when (as often happens) they mispronounce my name.

My immediate response is always to ask them what they're selling.  When they deny that they're selling anything, I simply put the phone down.

Moral: if you're trying to sell me something, at least be upfront about it.  And get my name right.

18. kwalters profile image60
    kwaltersposted 14 years ago

people who can't get a joke and want you to explain it.

19. The Rope profile image59
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

I'm old, I'm gray, I've acquired too many pet peeves (LOL). 
    ...Smacking noises when chewing gum or eating makes me nuts,
    ...Constant loud sniffs without trying to clear the problem makes me crazy and the newest one is
    ...Having to listen to people on cell phones while waiting in the grocery line.

20. bukan profile image60
    bukanposted 14 years ago

i feel also but truly speaking it just happens once

isnt rather be isn't

21. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

cheap shiit paper

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

By which you mean toilet paper, I take it?  lol

22. Larry Gee profile image58
    Larry Geeposted 14 years ago

people that choose to go completely against the grain and head up a staircase one way when there's an entire flood of people going the other way

23. profile image0

Ain't got no.....

oooooo, yup that one too!

24. K Partin profile image60
    K Partinposted 14 years ago

When you say one thing and do something different! Man that gets me. smile

25. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

Oh wow, this is an easy one...people, especially women that bite their nails. Oh yeah, also, women that have long hair, feel through it, find a lose strain, and then throw it the floor...arrgghhh!!

Sheesh, that's me all over lol

26. profile image0

Axe a question? What's that all about?

27. Stimp profile image60
    Stimpposted 14 years ago

One of my biggest.  People spitting.  I've never had the urge to "hock a loog" and spit it on the sidewalk.  YUCK!!!

28. Himitsu Shugisha profile image72
    Himitsu Shugishaposted 14 years ago

People who attempt to read and drive at the same time.

29. wesleycox profile image71
    wesleycoxposted 14 years ago

Irregardless is an adverb that is the same thing as regardless according to the Encarta dictionary.  In essence, it is a word uneducated people use to sound smart.  Now let me go through and make sure I haven't used it.  As far as my pet peeves, I can't stand the misuse of the words there, their, and they're. 

There = a place usually but can also mean in or to that place, at that point, on that matter, it can be used to identify a place, or it can be used to start a sentence in the form of a pronoun.
    Their = belonging to them

They're = They are.

When people get this wrong once, I'll let it go but getting it wrong consistently will cause me to stop reading and go somewhere else.

1. sannyasinman profile image59
      sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agree. I switch off also at the repeated misuse of those three words, and also at the misuse of . . .

to, too, two (it happens)
      your, you're

any others?

30. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

peeple who cant spel preperly smile

31. sannyasinman profile image59
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

. .and of course NewSpeak which seems to be slowly gaining a foothold here amongst our younger hubbers .   

do u no wot i meen?

Ugh, I find txt-speak repulsive.  I'll use some short forms, like: imo, lmao, lol, ty, and so on and so on....but I won't shorten words that are already short words!

32. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

people who say nothing repeatedly and people who use a lot of words to say nothing. hmm

33. Frugal Fanny profile image61

'Angle' used instead of 'Angel'

34. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Pop music being played in shops. As soon as I walk in, I start feeling incredibly stressed, can't concentrate on anything, and sometimes feel physical pain in my guts and chest. Very often, I have to leave without buying what I came in for because I just can't stand being there a second longer.

35. cheaptrick profile image72
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

I speak and write in a few languages.Sometimes I get a bit confused and make mistakes.Its important to try and look beyond the grammatical errors,misspelled words and anomalies.Sometimes taking a Deeper look yields insight,that makes technical errors tolerable in my opinion...

36. Frugal Fanny profile image61

saying "axe" instead of "ask" 

Yes, I know I have a lot of pet peeves! lol

37. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

when people fart in the elevator - I mean come on hold it a few floors would ya geez

ewwwwwwwww lol

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
      Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sometimes you just can't hold it in lol

38. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I don't like liars. big_smile

39. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

People who say 'less' when they mean 'fewer'.

People who pronounce 'Michelangelo' Michaelangelo.

My sister eating all the food in the fridge when she comes down for the weekend.

And, I agree with Cagsil, liars.

Oh, and people who are two faced.

Popular, rich kids.

Being invited out by girls in the year below just because they want my i.d. for alcohol.

Women toying with you.

Women in general.

Men in general.

People in general.

Teachers who teach you nothing all year and then pile it on in the week before the end of term.

Teachers who do things for their benefit, not ours.

The University Application Process

Revising hard for exams and then doing badly.

Exams in general.

Tests in general.

Emo kids who think they know metal just because they listen to MCR.

BAD song lyrics.

BAD poetry.

Limericks.

Morons who don't understand satire.

Morons who misunderstand satire.

J.K. Rowling and her stolen ideas.

The love of teenage girls everywhere of the TWILIGHT sega.

The film adaptation of the Shining.

People who squeeze the toothpaste tube from the front and not the back.

People like Miley Cyrus.

Sylvia Plath.

People who only want to hear their side of the argument.

People who think R&B is the only form of music.

People who wear their jeans by their knees.

Chavs.

George Orwell.

Religious people who only see their own argument.

The Andrex Puppy. Just because a small dog gets wrapped in loo roll does not make me want to use it to wipe my unspeakables with it.

People who have an obsession with drawing the human penis on walls.

We get it, Ross, you fancied Rachel in series one, get over it!

Z listers who want to be famous.

Being made to study books - forcing me to hate them.

Not being listened to.

The list goes on.

Wow I have some issues haha. lol

Did you forget any? lol

2. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's was really cool. lol lol

40. cheaptrick profile image72
    cheaptrickposted 14 years ago

Everytime I ask my girlfriend what I can do to Turn her on she says
    "Introduce me to your friends"....

41. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

when people keep adding : buy a cd key topic every two minutes to the forum

42. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 14 years ago

Parents who let their kids run through the store or restaraunt, or even the laundrymat

For that matter, parents who don't teach their kids basic manners.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)