What's the single most important piece of advice you would give to a new hubber?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (35 posts)
  1. CyclingFitness profile image90
    CyclingFitnessposted 10 years ago

What's the single most important piece of advice you would give to a new hubber?

What do you know now that you wished you'd know/ or been told when you started? What's the single most important piece of advice you would give to a new hubber?

2. icv profile image51
    icvposted 10 years ago

"work hard", that is enough to advice new hubbers

1. Johtechwriter profile image59
      Johtechwriterposted 6 years agoin reply to this

How about, “Work hard then proof the shit out of it?”

3. Shil1978 profile image87
    Shil1978posted 10 years ago

The most important advice would be to love what you do, i.e. writing. It is that much more easier to do something when you actually love doing it, rather than have to do it for some purpose, i.e. money.

I've followed this approach the almost 6 years I've been here at HubPages and it has worked for me. Money has been an incidental benefit. Looking back, if I were to put money as my number 1 priority and then write, I don't think it would have worked for me, at least personally.

So, I would say, love what you are doing and keep doing it, don't think about other factors and over-complicate things. Keep it simple!

1. GirlOwlKnowing profile image61
      GirlOwlKnowingposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for this perspective, Shil1978. I'm just starting out on here and appreciate the advice!

4. Ms Dee profile image85
    Ms Deeposted 10 years ago

When writing new Hubs, just focus on doing ones on the areas in which you have special or expert knowledge to share, or an area little written about. So much time and effort is needed into making a Hub of good quality (writing, photos, extra features, maintaining the hub) that writing about anything outside your special knowledge and the little traffic that generates is not worth it.

5. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years ago

It took me a long time to realize that every single detail on a hub is important and all of them can make a huge difference in readership.  You must take great care in your hubs as it is very easy to make small mistakes that add up to big problems.

6. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/4809962_f260.jpg

Learn about SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). You may love writing for HubPages, you may even be the best writer here, with the best content, but unless your hubs are understood by robots as much as by potential readers,  they will never attract enough traffic to stay published and make money from people clicking on ads.

PS The new feature “Need Some Goals?” box is a great tool that helps you meet the new quality standard required by HP for a successful hub.

CyclingFitnessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is SEO a little complicated for a new hubber? I suppose it depends on their aims but it does have some importance, certainly

7. uNicQue profile image71
    uNicQueposted 10 years ago

I'm still relatively new, but if there is one thing that I learned, it is that you do not simply write a hub and never return to it. You need to go back and make sure everything is updated (if you're writing on a topic that could change). Make sure your hubs don't become dated. You'll find in rereading that there are always ways you can improve your hub, and there are always things that can be added. Also, if you are writing for money (which may not be your primary goal) write as often as possible. HubPages is a great way to earn some extra money, but you have to be dedicated to it. Treat it like a part-time job, and you will get great results. Best of luck! It's a lot of fun smile

8. Iontach profile image67
    Iontachposted 10 years ago

Don't add a million followers in the hopes that people will add you in return, plus try not to write "This article is so interesting, thanks so much for sharing" randomly on hubs.

9. Ralph Deeds profile image64
    Ralph Deedsposted 10 years ago

Write about something on which you have some expertise. Proofread! Proofread!

10. Zsuzsi profile image60
    Zsuzsiposted 10 years ago

Don't rush success! Write and rewrite articles, add photos, links, videos, etc. until you are satisfied with the quality of your work, and then post it on HP. It might take some time to have a good number of hubs featured but it's worth the time and effort.

11. Babytech profile image69
    Babytechposted 10 years ago

A good hub is the result of patience, attention to details - starting with the title, the keywords, your photos and the way you insert the capsules. Your hub has to be dynamic, fresh, updated and usefull.

It's impossible for me to name just one good advice, because behind all this work there are many small - but important - details to consider:) just enjoy "hubbing"

12. Brittanie2216 profile image75
    Brittanie2216posted 10 years ago

The learning center and forums can be your best friend when it comes to being succesful here on HubPages.  Many new hubbers have the same kinds of questions and just about all of them can be answered here.  If you are still having a hard time you can ask questions and read forums about traffic the rules and just for some good old inspiration to keep going.  Use the tools provided they are available to make things easy and in my experience they work pretty well.

13. Aupriann Myers profile image60
    Aupriann Myersposted 10 years ago

Jump into the hub pages community, and really talk to people. Don't write to try and gain an income. Write about what you know, and proof read. Be passionate.

CyclingFitnessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good proof reading is my downfall at times! No matter how many times I read I miss errors

14. Femina Vox Vocis profile image60
    Femina Vox Vocisposted 10 years ago

You must love to write. Not just writing, it must have the sense, the point, the juice. And don't expect to gain something from it.Just do what you love and it will all comes into place. And while you are writing, try to read at the same time so you can learn from others opinions.

15. Lee Tea profile image83
    Lee Teaposted 10 years ago

Sit down and get comfy - you're in for a long ride!

16. profile image0
    supreme upbeatposted 10 years ago

I like this question very much because it will enables new hubbers to enrich their hubs. Comparatively I am not an old guy  but in this respect what I have learned is sharing here for the benefit of new hub-makers.
    1.Love to write.
    2.Choose subject in which you are well interested and well informed.
    3.Spend time enough to make a good hub.It may be one hour,two hours,three hours ,one day ,two days or fifteen days .You have to use much time for class hub.
    4.Add an apt introduction.
    5.Make a compact hub with well knit sub topics.
    6.Add Content Capsules to enrich your hub.

add text capsule
        add photo capsule
        add video capsule
        add link capsule
        add comment capsule
        add poll capsule
       add code capsule
        add table capsule
        add quiz capsule
        add map capsule
    7.Use simple language that reaches to everyone.
    8.The learning center and forums can be your best guide when you are thinking of some solution for problem.
    9. read and read your draft and make it perfect.
    10Follow some good hubbers in hubpages to see their quality hubs.Observe  minutely their hubs and extract the qualities for which their hubs have become top.
    11.Choose one special niche for which you will be famous on hubpages and it will automatically select your hubs as standard or featured hub.
    12.Do not waste your time idly,think of your hub and review it again and again.
    See you later.

1. Johtechwriter profile image59

“read and read your draft and make it perfect.”

Suitable for framing.

17. Shrikrishnap profile image51
    Shrikrishnapposted 10 years ago

It is good to socialize & be part of forums. Interact & ask if you get stuck anytime with other hubbers. I think if you know somethings about SEO it helps a lot when you write some content. Make hubs a better place to be.

18. connorj profile image70
    connorjposted 10 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/7983634_f260.jpg

Never be in a hurry; that would be in relation to:
    (1) making money
    (2) publishing hubs
    (3) expecting significant results
    Remember to "flow" with what is in your heart and then sit back and be amazed...

19. JimTxMiller profile image77
    JimTxMillerposted 10 years ago

Write well-crafted, engaging, quality hubs and proofread religiously before posting.

20. lorddraven2000 profile image92
    lorddraven2000posted 10 years ago

Write what you love! Money is cool but writing should be about more than just money.

21. jdw7979 profile image71
    jdw7979posted 10 years ago

With so many specifics on how to stay involved and improve-  My advice would lead to one having an open mind, take criticism well, and be opinionated but in a healthy manner.

Pick up on while honing in your techniques, and above all, have fun and stay driven.

I too am a new Hubber and just love writing and throwing out popular as well as unpopular opinions and/or truths, or questioning lack thereof.

Not everybody has to agree with you, but to open up new dialog is always healthy. Even if such talk can be blunt or at times hard to push forth. Enjoy and take it all in. I have in the few weeks I have been writing.

This is a great outlet!

22. cherryseeds profile image61
    cherryseedsposted 10 years ago

As in any other thing, diligence and patience are two important keys. Take time to learn from others and from errors, take attention to all details and develop a sense of empathy: if you were the reader, would you be satisfied with your content?
    Rome wasn't built in a day, focus on self development and step forward everyday

23. diydiva profile image74
    diydivaposted 10 years ago

Don't give up.  Ever.  Post quality hubs on a regular basis and you WILL see results.

24. prettynutjob30 profile image83
    prettynutjob30posted 10 years ago

Have fun, enjoy reading others hubs and don't expect too much, too soon. The longer your on hub-pages your clicks and such will begin to get higher as long as you put forth the effort.

25. WalterPoon profile image68
    WalterPoonposted 10 years ago

My advice is not to think of the money until after you have written 100 featured hubs.

26. Elearn4Life profile image76
    Elearn4Lifeposted 10 years ago

Never give up. No matter how many times your article is not excepted. Find the issue and move on. You will become better. If you think you can, your right. If you think you can't, your right! Make a decision to never give up.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image64
      Ralph Deedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

TYPO? "accepted" not "excepted"??

2. Elearn4Life profile image76
      Elearn4Lifeposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for  that. Thats what i get for using my phone.lol

3. Johtechwriter profile image59

In the context you use, in both cases it’s “you're” not “your”.

Some other comments: There is no guarantee you will become better. And just because you think you can, you are too close to the subject to determine whether you have succeeded.

27. Johtechwriter profile image59
    Johtechwriterposted 6 years ago

Ask yourself why you are doing it. If it’s for your own satisfaction, or to establish friendships with other hubbers, then fine. Hub away.

If you aspire to be one of the handful of writers whose work is paid for and read by significant numbers of discerning readers, this forum will help you learn whether you’ve got what it takes. At that point, whichever the answer, it will once again be time to ask yourself why you are doing it. Hubbing, that is. As opposed to writing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)