jump to last post 1-13 of 13 discussions (23 posts)

Is the Featured Hub Policy too zealous?

1. Rock_nj profile image92
    Rock_njposted 4 years ago

Is the Featured Hub Policy too zealous?

I just had a bunch of Hubs UnFeatured due to lack of interest, including one called "Making Money During a Bear Market" that has a Hub Score of 90, with135 views over the past 7 days, and 405 views over the past 30 days.  Jeeze, how much more traffic does a Hub need to avoid being UnFeatured?  Scratching my head at this one.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8144744_f260.jpg

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

Yeah, dunno. I've got hubs that get way less traffic than that but are still featured. I think if I were you I'd just edit it some, make sure all the boxes are checked in the "Need some goals" box. I'm sure it will go back to being featured.

3. stanwshura profile image74
    stanwshuraposted 4 years ago

Yes, yes!  A thousand times yes!  That hub of yours you describe sounds to me like it's doing better than just fine, thank you!  This constant tweaking of social and user-generated-content websites is about giving me hives!  I have several pieces I *know* are *damned* good exposition and yet they have that persnickety little English teacher's white circle. 

I don 't know what hp is fishing for, but clearly it's more than crisp, descriptive, insightful (and yes, sometimes inciteful) writing that is grammatically dead on, factually solid, and which has a voice.

Where have all the artists gone...long time passing...

4. Becky Katz profile image84
    Becky Katzposted 4 years ago

YES!!! I just got done editing 11 hubs and the only problem with them are that they are either seasonal or about different writers. They have not been read in awhile because most of them are of interest to someone who wants to read good fiction stories. The seasonal hubs are in the wrong season. I changed one word in each and they will be featured for another three months. Stupidity is abounding.

1. Becky Katz profile image84
      Becky Katzposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Now it is telling me they do not have pictures and every one of them does. They need to get this fixed.

5. toptendeals profile image81
    toptendealsposted 4 years ago

I don't think so, although I haven't seen what you are describing.  Usually if the score is 90 it wouldn't go unfeatured for lack of interest even with a handful of visits a month.  Is that the only error you have with the hub?

Rock_njposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No violations or errors are indicated.  I followed their guidelines for using properly labeled headings,pictures, and a video. The links are all relevant.  I don't complain when a low traffic Hub gets unFeatured, but this has me concerned.

6. Georgie Lowery profile image95
    Georgie Loweryposted 4 years ago

Yeah, there has to be some sort of mistake there. If those were the standards, then none of my Hubs would be featured. You might want to write to HubPages for clarification on that one.

7. Imogen French profile image86
    Imogen Frenchposted 4 years ago

It does seem a little random sometimes - I can't understand that one of yours. My problem is that a lot of my hubs are seasonal (eg seasonal recipes) which are being unfeatured, so when they come back into season they will not be found.
    I'm all for quality control, but they don't seem to be getting it right.

8. Routledge profile image76
    Routledgeposted 4 years ago

My good content is featured.
    My bad content is not.
    I see no issue.

HP made it clear that the Featured policy is not a quality issue, but rather a traffic issue.  This one makes me wonder, since the traffic is good.  The quality is good also.  Any quality concerns are dealt with differently through the QAP process.

2. Routledge profile image76
      Routledgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Traffic.
      Revolves around good and bad content. Bad content does not generate traffic. It is a simply system. Bad content hurts the site, good content drives traffic. It is about views...which is about quality...Am I confused?

3. Rock_nj profile image92

There are some very well written Hubs that for whatever reason do not receive much traffic.  It could be that they are about obscure topics or not SEOed well, but it is not a reflection of their quality.

9. AlexK2009 profile image92
    AlexK2009posted 4 years ago

Featuring/unfeaturing appears to be capricious. It is not solely based on score or number of views and I think some of the assessment is automated. Nor is it based solely on the age of the hub.

Unfeaturing hubs that get a lot of views does not make business sense to me.

I agree, it's downright bad for business.  HP doesn't need to lose more business with the ongoing traffic decline. I thought that HP had changed the Featured Hub policy, so that a warning would be provided before a Hub was actually unFeatured?

10. mayank147 profile image79
    mayank147posted 4 years ago

You have to update your hub regularly by adding some inforormation or if you dont get enough traffic then you have to change the title of the hub this will help you to get more traffic and your hub is published.

1. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image30
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good advice.

2. Rock_nj profile image92

Traffic doesn't appear to be a problem with this Hub.  It does better than many of my other Hubs.  I think the problem was too many Amazon links.  I thought that was a QAP or violation issue, and would result in a Violation warning, not an unFeature?

11. ChristinS profile image96
    ChristinSposted 4 years ago

Try adding something to it to make readers more involved. If viewers are commenting or interacting with you it won't unfeature as easily.  I use a poll or ask a question that encourages comments on every hub - I have no unfeatured hubs except for a couple of seasonal ones.

12. profile image0
    Larry Wallposted 4 years ago

I had a bunch of hubs in the unfeatured group the other night and am slowly working on them. A few of them were political in nature and are ready to be deleted, which I will do.

However, I have a few that, for reasons I do not know, will go weeks without any views and then have a big bump in views. Some of those are now unfeatured.

I am all for updating, but I believe HP could issue a warning that says this Hub needs attention or it will be unfeatured in X days. If you make the needed changes, then it stays featured and you do not have to start the process over again.

Also, my Hub score has gone from 100 down to 89 in the last three weeks. I was in the hospital for eight days of that time and could not participate on a daily basis. I would if HP employees get time off for being sick without any penalty.

13. tirelesstraveler profile image81
    tirelesstravelerposted 4 years ago

Did you re read your hub.  I periodically re read a hub that is being un-featured and discover a typo,or awkward sentence. Fix it and the hub is featured again.

Thanks!  Yes.  That's always a good idea.  I believe I found the problem.  This Hub and a number of others that were unFeatured have more than 2 Amazon links per capsule.  They no longer allow that, and they want it revised to 2 or less links.

2. AlexK2009 profile image92
      AlexK2009posted 4 years agoin reply to this

hey, rock, I tried this  on 20 hubs not featured, 16 of them became featured and 4 were flagged for quality: they were old ones I was thinking of deleting anyway, so I did, and they will go somewhere else.  Looks like the HP message is not helpful.

working