jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Would the Q&A section of HP improve if we tried to avoid religious and political

1. IDONO profile image81
    IDONOposted 4 years ago

Would the Q&A section of HP improve if we tried to avoid religious and political topics?

These two topics have dominated this section so much, that a lot of people are losing interest. So many questions are the same except worded differently and responses usually end as arguments. There are tons of other things to ask about. Ultimately, we,as hubbers, control the interest level of these sections; not Hubpages. What do you think?

2. Sherry Hewins profile image96
    Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years ago

I don't mind the politics as much as the religion. I posted in the forum suggesting that HP separate religion from the rest of the Q&A, like they did in the forum. They removed the suggestion and told me I could search Q&A by topic. Excuse me, that does not really help. There's no way to search for "anything but religion."

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
      Billie Kelpinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sherry, come to think of it, the search function really is inadequate here.  Sometimes I try to search a hub article that I KNOW I read and can't remember the title. The keywords doesn't do it.  So, hmmm...

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 4 years ago

Interesting, Idono, because I think the Q & A has evolved to an UNINTENDED function and actually, I'm wondering if that function is perhaps unique on the web.  If it is, it's really too bad hubpages isn't able to "market" it for what it does rather than what it is intended to do.  From my understanding, the Q & A section is meant to inspire hubs. Instead, this is a community of people when they ask and answer religious and political questions seem to be essentially "sitting around the dining room table" having discussions about issues they simply can't or don't venture to bring up with friends and family.  If I were running the show, I'd try to think of a way to have this as a special entity.  Maybe they should call it "The Kitchen Table" for hub writers. Then run google banner ads at the top, make it really cool, and re-invent the original Q & A to be what it was intended to be, hub article incubators. 
    I am getting a bit addicted to the Q & A and not writing hubs because it fills an important need for me right now. I live in Orange County, CA, one of the most conservative enclaves in the nation. My dear, dear friends are all Christian or some other religion, and most all of my friends are Republicans.  I cannot say the things I say here to them.  I can't post on facebook what I might want to discuss here.  I love that I feel safe here and feel that at least there's SOMEONE in the world with whom I can connect other than my husband and my daughter and maybe some old hippie-ish friends from the 70s.  It's also a way to find other's perspectives without hurting feelings as you would with family and friends.  So, I'll be interested in what others have to say about this question. Cheers, Billie

4. profile image0
    JThomp42posted 4 years ago

I'm not sure about improving? But, there would be FAR LESS heated debates my friend.