Be ready, be prepared--stay informed.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years ago

Some of you may be aware that I am a student in Homeland Security.  I have been asked recently by many people interested in what I am learning--and what they need to know to protect themselves and their families in case of a disaster--natural or man made, were to occur in their immediate communities.  There is much we all can do in awareness--and if you all are not readily aware and prepared--there is much to fear.  Especially the unknown.  As we all know now--the world is becoming ever connected via social media sites, news programs, etc.  There is a lot of information out there and I want to share with all of you important information that you all can do to be aware on how to prepare, and take care of yourself and family in the most trivial of times. 

http://www.ready.gov/
    http://www.citizencorps.gov/
    http://www.fema.gov/

These sites are a great way to become informed--and stay informed.

I just wanted to make you all aware of this public information that is available for everyone--you and your families--please feel free to pass this information along. 

Take care!

Sandy
    aka AIDY

1. alexandriaruthk profile image69
      alexandriaruthkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you for the information

2. profile image0
    cosetteposted 14 years ago

thank you.

i always wonder how protected our nation's computer systems are, for example, at power plants, dams and places like that. if those were ever breached, we would be in big trouble.

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image64
      AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I once heard someone say that the reason nuclear power plants are a bad idea as a replacement for coal-fired plants is that they could be targets for terrorism. I liked that idea at the time; since then, however, I have become a 911 conspiracy theorist sad

2. profile image0
      Am I dead, yet?posted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are vulnerabilities everywhere, that is why it is pertinent that we all are prepared for anything that could happen.  There is so much information out there, true and false--I just felt that if I did not make everyone aware of something that they could do in there own homes and communities in preparation efforts--rather than wait for emergency responses.  Stay informed of correct information--and not just the conspiracy theories which are always good fodder for media networks from time to time big_smile

I'd say you guys should be *much* more worried about another Katrina, to be frank

1. profile image0

I agree. More so for preparedness of natural disasters, than man made attacks.

3. profile image0

it's a scary thought how easily we could be crippled by a cyber attack.

4. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

I think the fear of death is overrated and money driven. Everyone has a much higher chance to die simply driving down the road everyday than they do of dying in a terrorist attack. I think it is a load of hype. Everyone has to die sometime, why spend the short time you have worrying about when that time is?

You, your baby, and your dog are right.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol Thanks

2. profile image0

Not only that--but there are other instances that may compromise or alter our daily lives--tornadoes, hurricanes--floods, snowstorms, wildfires, etc.  Preparedness does not always mean preparation for terrorist events.

1. marinealways24 profile image58
        marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with that. I think precautions should be taken in examples of weather and daily common sense precautions. I just think it's half things needed to know and half to keep the public in fear of something.

1. profile image0

I absolutely agree, Marine.  There is profit in fear tactics.  There should be more emphasis on these efforts (weather related, etc) than the latter.

3. fishtiger58 profile image68
      fishtiger58posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree we are not here to stay just passin thru, but it is scary to think about terrorist attacks. Glad I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere.

5. profile image0

thanks for those links, AIDY.

that survival kit info is good.

1. profile image0

your welcome. now, I must get back to my studies -hugs- for everyone!

6. Peggy W profile image96
    Peggy Wposted 14 years ago

I agree that there are enough natural disasters of every type with which we have to contend that make it important to know about emergency measures in places where we reside.  As to terrorist attacks...if and when they happen, we will be better prepared (hopefully).

7. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

hi always nice to see you,not often in the forums i don't think, i will take a look at this information

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)