Make Money on Hubpages and Other Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (47 posts)
  1. EngagementRing profile image63
    EngagementRingposted 14 years ago

What sites will give you the most bang for your buck?

Of course Hubpages but what about....
    Squidoo
    LiveJournal
    Xomba
    ReviewStream

I want to know if any of you have used these other sites and what your experiences have been like. I would rather not waste my time writing for an audience of 1, so any feedback you can give me is appreciated.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Dude, its xmas!

EngagementRingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Merry Christmas! Answer my question lol

1. profile image0

Dude, its xmas!

1. Haunty profile image73
            Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol R, I was thinking the exact same thing. lol

2. easyspeak profile image67
      easyspeakposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi, I'll answer your question. 

I've used Squidoo, but they've had problems with google flagging them as spam.  They've fixed the problem and they're on good terms now but I'd still not rather take the risk.  Plus, too many people are on Squidoo.

Xomba I've used to create backlinks.  I didn't intend for it to drive traffic or even get read.  But I've realized that after the first 2 days, I've stopped getting traffic on my Xomba posts and the other sites I use for backlinks like Ezine and Buzzle actually get traffic so I figured, why not get some backlinks from sites that will also send me traffic!

Hope that helps!  Merry Christmas!

Easy speak! You are a breath of fresh air. I asked a question and got attacked by people saying that I was out of line because its a holiday and then pulling some religious card on me. Seriously, is there a law that says you can't ask certain questions on Christmas Eve? 

Merry Christmas and thank you for the good advice.

1. profile image0

I didn't pull any religious card on you, must be a figment of your imagination, I'm not really sure how an athiest finds any religious cards to pull.... I actually pointed you in the direction of one of my hubs, there are hundreds of hubs on the topic of earning money, it actually helps other hubbers if you seek out and comment on their content. I get 6000 page views per day on hubpages, the only reason I still drop in, and this is how:- http://hubpages.com/hub/Increase-adsens … ring-sites Im not critical of people that talk about making money on xmas, in fact I just think that its slightly pitiful, it just reminds me of 'A Christmas Carol' by Charles Dickens......

......But putting my personal opinions on xmas aside, if you want help from the hubpages community then consider the ways in which you can help them..... you can find this stuff out by reading hubs by people like Mark Knowles and Darkside (two people that I will always come back and read), then rating them up, leaving them a comment, and implementing their great advice. The community benefits a lot more by hubbers who use that little search bar for answers, I believe that at least 98% of all money making questions can be answered in at least one of this sites 500,000+ hubpages. If nobody seeks them out, then why should people write them? Especially the ones geared completely at hubpages users (many of which will never make the writer a single cent).

1. bgamall profile image68
            bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Boy, aren't we grouchy. Your advice to her was given very grudgingly. So, bah humbug to you Ryan.

Actually, I just had to say that although I really don't care what you do Ryan:) Arrogance is easily identifiable.

2. freelanceauthor profile image61
          freelanceauthorposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yea, I felt sorry for your plight of being attacked for simply asking question about internet marketing on Xmas day.

One of the best ways to make money online is to write articles  and publish them at ezine; make sure to place excellent resource box with links to your blog where you promote your affiiate products.

This simple plan can make thousands of dollars per month from CB as long as you write and publish at least 5 to 10 articles per day

I also tried to publish articles at ezine to promote my hubpage to increase pageviews (i dont know if this still works with current stricter ezine rules)

1. kathryndavis76 profile image59
            kathryndavis76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is CB?

3. TerryGl profile image58
      TerryGlposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bukisa.com works well.  <affiliate links are prohibited in the forum>

Pays per 1k viewed and can be quite profitable. I have experienced some very good, consistent traffic from there.

4. profile image52
      renummavinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello;
            i am vinu.i dont know how to make money throug hub pages.please do help

1. kirstenblog profile image79
        kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well to start with you need to publish a few hubs. When starting out its a good idea to just write about stuff you like and know about, it will help give you an idea of what things you can write about that will get readers and just over all help you get into the swing of things so to speak. Once you have a few hubs you should find you get a few followers. If you do not already have an ad sense account and are from a country that is harder to get an ad sense account in you really just need to focus on creating unique articles that people might want to read about because google will want you to have some presence online before approving you. Once you do have a google ad sense account you can start to think about writing info hubs on high traffic topics/kewords. There are a huge number of hubs out there on how to pick good keywords and implement SEO to generate more traffic and other tips for getting traffic. It is a good idea to read as many of these hubs as you can manage as they will help you develop your own strategy. A basic how writing articles makes money hub I wrote can be found in my profile to get you started if you are interested. There is also the amazon affiliate program that you may find easier to sign up with if ad sense takes to long for you and with it it is all about writing good interesting hubs about products and pays a % for each sale you generate (there is also eBay but I have heard a lot of people have a hard time getting affiliated as they are very strict on who they accept and kontra is ok but you need to make a minimum each month or they keep your profits and I am just not interested in that). The main thing is that you need to be patient and write a lot of good quality original hubs. I have been here about 5 months now and I am starting to see steady traffic to amazon and around a 2% conversion to sales so for me it is starting to pay off. I just need more product hubs to bring in larger volumes of steady traffic so that I can make sales more often, my goal is to bring in 50-100 clicks a day with 2% conversion would mean a sale or two a day. This has taken me a lot of time to build up and I would not recommend quitting the day job just yet smile

5. kathryndavis76 profile image59
      kathryndavis76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I found review stream to be a waste of time.  I also noticed people state review stream is a scam on the net.

2. Gregg Biancci profile image60
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

Maybe he or she doesn't care that it's Christmas because they aren't christian...

1. profile image0

Maybe Sarah from Los Angeles does not care about Xmas because she is not Christian, but Ryan from the UK sure does despite being an Athiest! I am sure that most people dont want to talk about earning money on Christmas Day/Eve..... its the only serious day off from work each year! Trust me, I talk all day everyday about making money - but the day I do so at Xmas is the day that I may as well sell my arse for crack money down a dirty East London alleyway!

1. Gregg Biancci profile image60
        Gregg Biancciposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, Ryan from the UK, perhaps you should not bothering posting in a thread about making money at this moment then?   Since you're so busy relaxing on your only serious day off... :p

1. profile image0

Yes, or maybe you should address any further replies to this thread to the Original Poster instead of straying off topic; e.g. by offering your own answer to the question. I am off to wrap pressies tongue ps. anybody who looks at my profile would be able to find my normal answer to this topic in my 'latest hubs'.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Happy Christmas Ryan!

1. profile image0

Happy Christmas!

4. Gregg Biancci profile image60
    Gregg Biancciposted 14 years ago

To be blunt the only way you can really find out is trying it for yourself.  This is because you may find a way to make it work better than others.   

Always do your own research with a new site or product, this way you can leverage the most out of it.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is the best answer I've seen in this thread, and I totally agree with it.

1. bgamall profile image68
        bgamallposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good answer but not enough of an answer.

5. Oona Seckar profile image60
    Oona Seckarposted 14 years ago

I've heard baaaaaaad things about Reviewstream.  Just Google 'em.

6. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago
  7. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

I'll also reply

Squidoo is great but their workshop takes a while to load so you need to be patient. However you have more editing and affiliate freedom.

Xomba's got adsense. It's ok, but honestly not worth it except for backlinks and traffic (which you only get if you're a really active membe). If you're use xomba for the money and not for backlinks, then you're better off with Triond

LiveJournal isn't a special money earning platfrom, it's just a regular blogging platform. Same as if you used wordpress and blogger.

Reviewstream pays per review 40 cents to 2 dollars and then pay via paypal once you reach 50$. I didn't really like them because there's no real account, they track by your email id. Also 40 cents per review is low. I do like that the max can be 2$, but in the time it'd take me to write a 2$ article, I could write 2 1$ articles for helium and epinions plus earn shared revenue.

8. blue dog profile image61
    blue dogposted 14 years ago

you'd probably make more money off your diamonds than off your hubs. 

just a thought...

1. profile image0

I was thinking more about the severe conflict of interest! Employed by an online diamond retailer, whilst writing content which serves the ads of direct competitors - I would consider that a sackable offence in this climate!

1. blue dog profile image61
        blue dogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

could be why she's looking for alternative source of income...

2. EngagementRing profile image63

Wow, I love that this small question is getting everyone so heated. God forbid that anyone would want to try and make a living in a terrible economy. Many of you are insinuating that this is my company or that I somehow own all of these diamonds. Think about guys, if I did, would I really be writing on here asking how I can make money? In terms of my writing for a diamond retailer, I not only write on hubpages, but I promote on Facebook, Twitter, Ezine, etc. I don't see a penny from AdSense on any of these accounts and my original motivation on hubpages was not to make money but when I found out that you could, I thought WHY NOT? I started writing on hubpages two months ago and if you are writing for commercial purposes on here, they run ads on your profile REGARDLESS...so why would I not want to make money if I can?

All of you are such great people, in fact, angels! I am sure that none of you write on here for any kind of financial gain. In fact, I am sure you all hate money and if you won the lottery, you would go to the nearest charity and not keep a single dime for yourselves.

Happy holidays....cheer up, and calm down!

1. profile image0

I think that you may have misunderstood my point, the fact that you do not own the diamonds is precisly my point. I assume that you are paid a salary to promote a business which sells diamond jewelry - that is evident from your profile page. That business is an online business, so is competing for search engine traffic. If you are attracting search engine traffic on the exact same or similar keywords as your employer, on pages which then serve ads from competitors and do not mention your employer at all - then you are working against your own employer. If you really are a marketing manager of an online business, then you should know how adwords and keywords work - you are competing directly against your own employer. If you owned the diamonds then it would be perfectly acceptable to compete against yourself, otherwise it is without a doubt a conflict of interest. If I owned the website which you are paid to promote, I would be asking you some serious questions. It is the financial climate which makes this all the more serious to your employer.

9. Casper021 profile image61
    Casper021posted 14 years ago

You can make money on all those sites, but not big bucks, if you want to earn serious money online you neebetter of have your own website

10. dave272727 profile image61
    dave272727posted 14 years ago

Xomba works well for me.  I have not tried Squidoo or Helium.  I combine Triond, Xomba, and hubpages.  I havent reached my payout, but then again I am not in it for the money.  Hope this helps in some way.

As for attacks on the forums, it just speaks to the character of the poster.

Thank you Dave, I appreciate your feedback and I will look into those sites!

11. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I know Make Money on Hubpages - http://hubpages.com/profile/Make++Money

Where is he on other sites?

Merry Xmas smile

12. Bill Manning profile image67
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

There is nothing wrong with making hubs for the purpose of making money or even to put your own website link in it, providing you don't do it in an overly spammy way.

I have a squidoo account but you don't see any money for a while. I also write for Associated Content. Again it takes a long time to see any money there.

I suggest making your own wordpess blog on your own host. You also can find bloggers looking to pay for articles. Merry Christmas!

13. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 14 years ago

Since it is Christmas and it's a time for giving, I thought I would give you a little advice about the sites you have mentioned!

Xomba is a great site for backlinks and gaining traffic, but the same rules apply for this site as any other, you need to spend the time (not spread too thinly) to write on each site that is going to give you some return, such as traffic or clicks, or even purchases, the more focused you write your xomblurbs or xombytes at xomba the better your efforts will pay off, just think, as every article you do in different places, then surely you will have somewhere on each article to link to and creating relevance for your intended audience.

Ezine articles I use often, with several accounts like here at hubpages and I combine Squidoo, hubpages and ezine article promotions with youtube videos, as I think this provides a brilliant promotion if done right, of course I throw in my blogs too and try and promote them in little link networks that I create for my promotional campaigns.

In fact ezine articles works best when you don't write lots of long articles all the time, I had a run of articles accepted with just over 250 words and some of them, one in particular linked to my how to draw a zombie hubpage and that one has had nearly 10,000 views alone since july/august of this year.

It's all in the way you see things interlinking together to form a complete puzzle picture of what you want to show as information or entertainment.

I don't use livejournal, but I have used reviewstream and got paid nothing from 80 plus reviews so I dropped it and that's the best advice you can take away, if something isn't working for you, don't be afraid to drop it and try something else.

Squidoo also is worth using for traffic, but also for some extra cash, I only make about an extra $50 a month there, but I havent updated any of my lenses for months, as I've focused my efforts on Hubpages because it's easier to create articles at the moment, I find Squidoo a little frustrating to create new content with their slow workshop for new lenses.

Of course you may want to take a look out there and experiment with others sites and try little backlinking experiments here and there, to see what works best for you.

Have a merry Christmas!

14. easyspeak profile image67
    easyspeakposted 14 years ago

Wow, people are very judgmental for it being Christmas.  Lay off the girl, she's new.  I remember being new and not knowing anything and wondering how people actually made money on this thing and how no one would tell me honestly if you really could.  When I finally found out a few people that actually said so and I made some myself, it was a relief to me.

If you looked at her profile, you would have seen that she's a marketing director, that doesn't mean she actually owns the diamonds dumb dumb.

Anyways, everyone's trying to make a living, so what that it's on Christmas.  It's the only time off for certain people that actually have jobs.

Engagementring, welcome to hubpages.  Hope you do well.  If you want to make money, stick with hubpages and use the other ones as supplements to drive traffic and provide backlinks to your hubs. 

Once you start making some money here, you might want to consider building your own blog to make money.  It's much more complicated to do it right, but if you learn to make money here, you should be able to do a blog as well.

Start with what you know, which seems like it might be diamonds and engagement rings.  Those are high cost per click (CPC) keywords, which means you should get a decent amount for clicks on your hubs.

Good luck!

1. profile image0

I'm not sure who that makes the dumb one, but there would be no conflict of interest if she was competing with her own business. She is competing directly and indirectly with her employer, that is ethically wrong in this climate - dont assume that Jewelry retailers are doing so well. There are lots of unemployed people who deserve a chance, she works for an online business and is competing directly with that business for the same limited amounts of traffic traffic.

15. bojanglesk8 profile image59
    bojanglesk8posted 14 years ago

There's also Associated Content and Blogger. I want to sign up with them but I'm too lazy; HubPages alone is more than enough it seems.

16. viryabo profile image94
    viryaboposted 14 years ago

I'm not so hot on squidoo. Nowhere comparable to HP IMO!
    Barely any traffic and earning on squidoo is almost impossible for me - the sharing formula they employ is not the best either.
    But as i said, its my opinion.
    Try...Snipsly, SheToldMe and YouSayToo. They seem to be hot around here these days and i enjoy using them for backlinking.
    Best of luck and merry Christmas.

17. DeeBee3 profile image60
    DeeBee3posted 14 years ago

Depending on what sort of thing you write about, you could give factoidz a try. Your work has to have a factual content and it has to be assessed by a moderator before it's published, but it's a pay per click site, so you get paid, albeit not much, from your  very first reader.

18. thisisoli profile image71
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

WayneT - Xomba will convert all external bound links to no-follow after a week or two, making it essentially useless for backlinking purposes.

When it comes to conflict of interest, there might be aproblem if you write on competing keywords, as Ryan said.  However it would depend on what your job entails, and if you are competing in the same areas.

Thousands of people write about subjects which involve their working life, because it is where they gain most of their experience, and it will hopefully be working for you!

I don't see Hubpages creating this problem for you however, since it can be relatively difficult for your employer to link the Hubpages account to yourself.

But, hope you had a good working Christmas (I was Working too!)

1. Appletreedeals profile image68
      Appletreedealsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

how do you know xomba links convert to no-follow after a couple weeks?

19. efeguy profile image39
    efeguyposted 14 years ago

am working on shetoldme.com and snipsly.com for now,

you can check on them.

yes will can make some money from hub,but a little commitment and research is needed.

20. The10DollarMark profile image61
    The10DollarMarkposted 14 years ago

CB usually stands for Clickbank, which is an affiliate program.

As for reviewstream, many people have been paid, many haven't. My guess (I haven't written enough to reach the limit so it is JUST a guess) is that a lot of people probably don't read the tos and end up getting taken out. Since RS has a no-chance policy (you mess up, you're banned, no warnings, no chances) a policy I hate but they do have it, it'd be very easy for a person to accidentally break a rule and end up getting kicked out.

Like I said I haven't written much for them, but the majority of my reviews got the full 2$ (except for 2 reviews which got 0.40 because I was stupid enough to ask for bulk rate instead of resubmit). RS now offers up to 2.5$ so I'm thinking about trying again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)