Time spent per article

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

Because I'm curious, how long, on average, do you spend on an article?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

It usually takes me less than an hour to write a hub and maybe another hour max to add photos, etc.  However, I was an English teacher so don't have many problem with sentence structure, grammar, etc and the main topic I write about requires almost no research since I'm well experienced with it.

2. sallybea profile image93
      sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It can take me 3 or 4 days depending on the project I make since I have to create every tutorial from scratch.

2. dalady profile image85
    daladyposted 6 years ago

It really depends on the topic and how in depth I intend to go. Sometimes, I can spend more time on research or pictures than actually writing.

I wrote an article with around 2600 words and spent a good 20 hours on it, over 3 days, before I pushed publish. On the other hand, I wrote an article with about 500 words in an hour or two.

3. Alice Marlowe profile image59
    Alice Marloweposted 6 years ago

For me it depends on how long I spent thinking about what I wanted to write before I started writing. Generally I spend a few hours writing and editing but I spend much more time than that thinking about what content I want to include.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

It varies on what type of article I am writing and how much I know about the subject. I would say 2 - 5 hours.

5. Mamerto profile image91
    Mamertoposted 6 years ago

For a 1500 word article, around 5 hours (with the awkward upload included).

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

I agree with Kenna and dalady, 2 to 5 hours depending on the topic. What takes almost as much time as writing is finding unique images/free photos to enhance your content and intent. Unless I'm using my own, I can become obsessive about which image to choose. This ends up adding more time to the completion of the article.

7. Urbane Chaos profile image90
    Urbane Chaosposted 6 years ago

This is interesting..

Generally, I'll spend anywhere from three to five days on an article.  Usually two to three gathering research and material, then the rest of the time writing. 

I got thinking about that earlier.  I've met a lot of people who can put out amazing articles in a couple hours, while others spend weeks on something.  It's fascinating to see how different people approach things.

8. Venkatachari M profile image83
    Venkatachari Mposted 6 years ago

I spend 2 to 5 days in publishing an article depending on the topic and the research work needed.
    The search for images may consume more time if there are no relevant ones freely available. Using own images for all topics is not possible.

1. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

EXACTLY.....

9. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

To be honest, I have never calculated how long it takes for me to write a particular hub. Since my articles tend to be long and detail-oriented, it’s obviously going to take longer for me to get from Point A to Point B. I do spend a lot time thinking about what I am going to write and how to express everything properly. Some of my hubs have required me to go out into the field and do diligent research. I’ve had to go to retailers like Aldi, Trader Joe’s, and Target to gather information. I’ve also had to go to the Pennsylvania Room at my local public library as well as to the main branch of the Erie (PA) Public Library to do research. Since most of my hubs contain time-sensitive data, I must constantly update my hubs with more up-to-date information. At any rate, when I am writing a particular hub, I am totally absorbed in my work.

10. Rock_nj profile image91
    Rock_njposted 6 years ago

For me, it depends.  If I'm highly motivated and know a subject well, then I can bang an article out and do everything to post it within 1 to 2 hours.  More often though, I need to do research and rewrites, so it takes me more like 3 to 5 hours to publish a final product.

11. Miebakagh57 profile image68
    Miebakagh57posted 6 years ago

At most a week is enough. You most patiently take time to review, revise and correct grammartical mistakes. In other words, you should take enough time to edit your article.
    Thank you.

12. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 6 years ago

I think those people who report that they only spend about 5 hours or less writing a hub are doing themselves a disservice. An article published on this site is going to last for years, and may only garner great traffic after being posted on Google for a long time. It will certainly take more than 5 hours.
    All I can recommend is that you spend more time by covering the subject even better than similar articles already on Google and by adding excellent photos, good videos, and interesting polls.

One of the first articles I ever wrote still gets good views and to date has earned over a quarter of a million views.  While I can't argue with your advice, I cannot agree what you said is true for all writers.

1. janshares profile image94
        jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I would like to see an honest survey of how many of those "less than 5 hours" articles ever reaches a quarter of a million views. (Not just from you.) Not many, I would imagine. How many articles from those early days have you deleted?

I'm not sure that many people period get that many views on any one hub, and certainly not for all of them.  However, it doesn't take many of them to increase views and payouts.

Much depends on competition, topic and audience.

For example, people who write about gaming seem to do quite well because they have a vast audience of younger people who are really into gaming.

RVing, on the other hand, has a limited, seasonal audience but also has plenty of competition for their attention.

I don't think spending x amount of hours writing is necessarily what brings in views.  There are always other factors at play.

You have tons of articles.  Comparatively speaking, I have very few.  Of course you're going to have more hubs with high views than I do.  It's a matter of simple statistics.  Throw enough mud at a wall and some of it is always going to stick!

I go in depth when necessary, but some topics simply do not lend themselves to doing this.  I think that's true of many topics.

Also, your knowledge of language is important. Remember, I am a linguist by trade, which saves me plenty of time.  I rarely have to look up a word to get spelling or proper usage, and I rarely have problems organizing my wordage so that it maintains focus but still flows.  These are big stumbling blocks for many writers and are the things that take time.

Just sayin'

13. Gregory DeVictor profile image96
    Gregory DeVictorposted 6 years ago

I deleted about 10-12 articles from earlier days because I moved information from each of them into other hubs.

14. EricFarmer8x profile image94
    EricFarmer8xposted 6 years ago

Writing a Hub takes me usually only a day. But editing it, formating it, and finding/making pictures can take me three to four days or more. This depends on my mood. Some Hubs I took over a week to write but I did only a little every day.

I can get first drafts out fast but these are almost never ready for HubPages and require lots of editing. I am getting better with time as I write more Hubs though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)