HubPages Amazon Program Update

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (41 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 5 years ago

Heads up! We’re changing the way we calculate Amazon earnings for participants in the HubPages Amazon Program (external Amazon affiliate users will not be affected).

The changes we are making are necessary for the HubPages Amazon Program to work properly on AMP pages. Plus, authors will have more insight into products purchased from Amazon than before.

Currently we display the author’s affiliate code 60% of the time and HubPages’ affiliate code 40% of the time. With this update, we will show the author’s affiliate code 100% of the time and split all earnings 60% to the author and 40% to HubPages. The result is that authors will still be making the same amount but all purchases will be listed on the Amazon Sales Report page, including the ones that would previously have been excluded because they were purchased during HubPages’ share of impressions. We will continue to honor the 10% share of earnings to authors who have recruited other authors with their referral link. We hope the extra product data will help authors to optimize Amazon sales in articles.

We realize that readers usually have a longer period of time to make a purchase after clicking a tracked Amazon link and that switching may result in the loss of some of those later purchases. To make up for it, we are giving authors 100% of Amazon earnings today (Monday July 9th) through Thursday (July 12th). Since the vast majority of Amazon purchases happen within the first few days, the temporary 100% share should more than offset any losses.

1. liesl5858 profile image83
      liesl5858posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christy for this information. It is good news for all of us if we are able to sell things from Amazon. But I don't really understand the affiliate program much.

2. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It will be interesting to see more detailed information about amazon sales. I'm also intrigued to find out if this change makes much difference to earnings.

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

This is great...I just wish you had started the 100% thing one day earlier as I just got the biggest sale I've had in quite some time!  Timing is everything!

4. CatherineGiordano profile image78
      CatherineGiordanoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So happy to see this. I have been advocating for this for the past 2 years at least. It would be very helpful to know what all the sales are. I applaud this change.

I realize that it won't make much difference financially, but the extra information is helpful.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 5 years ago

I like this change, it evens out the playing field. I was always aware that sometimes someone orders a huge big-ticket item, and I figured it might also happen on HubPages’ 40% impressions. In that case I would get nothing for it. Of course this could happen the other way around too, so it probably always evened out in the long term. Nevertheless, with this new method, if a big-ticket item it randomly ordered, we both always get the 60/40 benefit. Nice.

One thing that would be great if it could be programmed into the code, is to indicate which hub is responsible for each order. Any chance of that happening? It might be easier to do that now with the new tracking method.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I like it, too, and for the same reason.  Particularly for those only selling a few items, it was a craps shoot and this fixes that.  It's one thing to do it with ad impressions, but when a single sale can produce $100 or more (maybe a years Amazon sales) it can make a difference.

Of course, the smaller seller could lose from it, too, just not as much.  big_smile

Like you, I'd sure like to see what hubs are producing the sales.  I can figure out some of them, but where did those sex toys come from???

Now if I can just sell a half dozen big screen TV's in the next couple of days...

1. CatherineGiordano profile image78
        CatherineGiordanoposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Sometimes a haven't a clue why I got a particular sale. If I knew what hub produced it. I could maybe figure out the connection. More information is always helpful.

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
          DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I agree; knowing from which article the sale came would indeed be useful information!

1. Natalie Frank profile image91
            Natalie Frankposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure it really would be all that helpful actually.  Given that each amazon item has to be directly and closely linked to the title when you see what item was sold you can tell which article it was linked to.  The other possibility is that someone clicked the amazon link on one of your articles, didn't buy the product that link went to but while they were at the Amazon site bought something else.  In that case, you'd still get the commission but the item wouldn't actually be related to anything you wrote the link was just how they got to Amazon.

2. paolaenergya profile image92
      paolaenergyaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea to have added analytics.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 5 years ago

Everybody seems pleased by this. I wish I had the faintest clue what it means.

Ditto. But then I never get Amazon earnings.

2. greenmind profile image94
      greenmindposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Rupert -- it only matters if you offer items for sale on your articles using the Amazon capsule or an in-text link. For example, I just read your excellent article on Marmite. It's possible that people might want to try it, and order some on Amazon through a link you put in your article.

HP has been taking the $ from 40% of the items sold. Now they're taking 40% of the total dollar amount. It's a subtle but interesting change.

It's not for everyone -- Amazon links, not Marmite -- but it's not complicated. Some people here make meaningful money that way.

Cheers!

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ROFL!  Marmite isn't for everyone, either!  I had the displeasure of trying some once; it was the single most vile thing I have ever tasted!  wink

4. EricDockett profile image95
    EricDockettposted 5 years ago

I almost had a heart attack when I saw the title of this forum post. smile But I think this is a good change. I too will be interested in seeing the difference, if any, in earnings, as well as the full accounting of items sold.

5. Cre8tor profile image94
    Cre8torposted 5 years ago

I like the move and appreciate the effort to balance out some sales. Thanks HP team!

6. Butterfly67 profile image89
    Butterfly67posted 5 years ago

This sounds like a really good move. I'm just about to switch to HP Amazon instead of my own so it will be interesting to see the difference.

7. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

Love this change for the same reason as Glenn. Thanks for the update Christy.

8. cleoaddams profile image84
    cleoaddamsposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the update and notice! smile

9. Daniel Mollat profile image67
    Daniel Mollatposted 5 years ago

I guess this upgrade only benefits those hubbers who have thousands or many hundreds of visitors daily. Not so much for us young members who are in the very low hundred visits per day.

I have just received an email from Amazon telling me that I have been removed from their list of associates or affiliates due to lack of amazon orders from my hubs.

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Actually it will probably benefit the smaller traffic hubbers more.  In such cases it only takes one large Amazon sale going to HP to materially affect their earnings, whereas those with more traffic tended to even out much better.

2. Natalie Frank profile image91

How long did you go without any sales before they removed you?  I haven't had sales in over a year and believe I'm still on their list.  At least I have that column in my report though I'm wondering if the reason I haven't seen any more sales is because they removed me and I'm not getting credited.  I truly don't have that many links left and the two that made all of my sales early on were removed.

10. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

I like the look of the new sales report table smile

11. Margie Lynn profile image89
    Margie Lynnposted 5 years ago

I have very few Amazon ads and every time I update a hub they take it off. It is always something I have personally used as the specified! So now I probably have none! Glad for the folks that are able to have an Amazon ad.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 5 years agoin reply to this

If you put an Amazon ad for a pie tin under your chocolate cake hub, for example, it does not matter if you have used it or not. If the ad is useful to your readers then HP is not going to remove it.
      If you need help on understanding how to use the ads you can post a link to the forums and ask others to look at the article and see why the ad might be snipped.

That's not my experience.  Unless it specifically relates to the actual topic of the hub as stated in the title and you have used it and state so and you include original content about that shoes how it is related to the hub or is removed.  And even despite all that sometimes they are removed.  The only links I have left are those that were in articles ivwont exit because I know that when they go back through quality control they will be removed and I'll have none at all.  I have had a device that was  specifically needed to make a recipe that I had bought and used in terms of the specific brand which i detailed how to use as part of the recipe from a first person pov tellung how i used it AND I had a separate review of the item in first person in a swparate capsule all of which was left in but the link removed despite contacting staff about it twice.  Ive goven up on Amazon too.  It seems policies arwnt being applied consistently if the link I described above was removed even after explaining to staff twice but some people can write about a chocolate cake then mention a pan not necessarily needed for the and it gets left in because it's "useful."

1. Margie Lynn profile image89
          Margie Lynnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Totally identify with you Natalie, I am a cook too! It is just not worth the hassle, I think all my Amazon ad are gone now, only had a few, but snip them when I updated, no more updating for me! I really needed the avenue to make some extra money!

12. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 5 years ago

DrMark1961, I think sometimes the moderators don't understand the subject. Crochet is needlework that uses yarn or thread. I had an ad for the exact yarn needed for the project and stated why I used this brand myself. It was still removed. I've had a few others like this and I've given up using Amazon.

Thanks, DrMark, but my ads are about what I am writing about, I have just given up on even trying to add an Amazon ad.

1. EricFarmer8x profile image94
        EricFarmer8xposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I feel the same way. I know it is a revenue stream I am missing out on but I rather try something on my own on a blog if I want to go down this route. Then I can do it my way.

2. Margie Lynn profile image89

Barbara Kay, I have found every editor has a different way of doing things. I can not even get a hub featured anymore! Boy things have really changed on here. I guess it is the merger with Maven???

3. DrMark1961 profile image95

Did you try to email the editors? Marisa used to state that if it was removed, she would just put it back in. If they removed it again, she put it back in...

DrMark no I have not tried that. All my hubs are on niche sites and did not want them to get removed. Thanks for your comment.

2. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

It might be worth a try putting it back in.

4. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I make three figures each month with Amazon, but not from capsules. Text links are the way to go. The link has to be very natural and incorporated into the text.

So you'd say something like..."For this project I've used this gorgeous Stylecraft Rainbow Clover: 70 percent acrylic/30 percent wool mix, double knitting yarn. I'm fond of this yarn because it works up easily and comes up great, wash after wash."

You'd highlight the product name, clink on the link button, then select the Amazon tab, hopefully, the item will be right there. Select it and the link should be added automatically.

HubPages likes them because they are not hidden by ad blockers. I've rarely had a text link removed, but when I do, I either change the text or go with the editor's decision and leave it out.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95

I totally agree. I seriously doubt that HP would snip a link like you described.

2. Margie Lynn profile image89

Thanks, I might try that theraggededge. So many smart folks on here. Thanks for sharing with me!

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 5 years agoin reply to this

theraggededge, Thanks for your great example.

13. Gordon Hamilton profile image92
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

I wonder if you could possibly clarify an important point for me re the 10% referral income please, Christy? I have fairly decent income of this type and am used to seeing it accumulate included in my daily earning stats. I have noticed that this has not happened since the new system has come in to place and am becoming a little concerned. Is it perhaps simply the case that I will no longer see this accumulate and will only get to know what income of this type I have earned at the point of payment? Thanks for any information you can give me re this query.

14. Butterfly67 profile image89
    Butterfly67posted 5 years ago

Could someone please tell me, if I switch to Amazon ads via HP, is it easy enough to switch back to my own account if it doesn't work for me and also will it affect my own account at all?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)