Does the character of a hubber count?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 53 discussions (106 posts)
  1. jill-of-all trade profile image57
    jill-of-all tradeposted 14 years ago

Curious to this question? Im new here...but not new to writing or forums...

My question is this....if you knew the true character of a fellow writer here and he/she writes relatively knowledgable articles.....but what if that person were not what they seemed....Would that make a difference, or is it all about his/her writting ability?  Just curious

1. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

and where's your pic?

1. Anti-Valentine profile image75
        Anti-Valentineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She's new. She'll figure it out sooner or later.

I hope so ! I like to see I'm talking to somebody, real pic or not

I agree. I often think that people who don't take the time to get a pic up are just spammers. Not that this one is... I'm just saying.

Or someone that's going to leave soon

Maybe both...

2. blondepoet profile image69
              blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is that your real pic ROFL

2. jill-of-all trade profile image57
        jill-of-all tradeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What do you think? This do-able wink

Lovely !!! smile

2. Anti-Valentine profile image75

Sweet. Literally. I would have gone for a black rose, but that's just me. smile

The black ones are all dead  tongue  literally wink

2. darkside profile image67
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

When you read an article in a print magazine do you feel the same way?

3. frogdropping profile image78
      frogdroppingposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a writing frog. If Kermit can host a show and have a style obsessed, shallow talking pig for a girlfriend ...

Equal rights for all smile

4. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What matters is character - it has its reflections in writing! Nevertheless, some writers are so good that you never get to know them if they don't want you to. Anyway, I think the writings show the character.

5. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Character counts to me a lot. And before Darkside asks, I take it into account before buying a magazine too. smile

6. livewithrichard profile image73
      livewithrichardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It really doesn't matter what the author's true character is. All that matters is if the information being presented is useful and correct.  As a reader and seeker of information it is your responsibility to implement critical thinking to decern the usefulness of the information.

1. GOZIEM profile image57
        GOZIEMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it does not matter what the author wroth what matters so much is weather you can get a vital information from what he wroth that is just the simple truth there.

7. GOZIEM profile image57

a person that his character is not good happen to write a very good article that means that there is some changes in his life yes.

8. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As far as HubPages goes, when someone hasn't written any Hubs, I disregard their character.

9. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

who cares? i have read tons of books in my life, magazine articles, newspapers, etc. and never once thought about the character of the author.

what an odd question.

10. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

a hubber exists and is defined by their character through all the mediums we express ourselves through.

2. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

I read the writing, and let the writer be whomever they want. None of my business what a person does at home.

3. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

the article is what I read,

1. tobey100 profile image59
      tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

What if I were to tell you I was a serial killer hubbing from death row?

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There was no need for that. Especially since she told you that she reads the article. hmm

4. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Masks, be it in real life or internet. We all wear masks, we hardly reveal ourselves. So our real character is only restricted to us. I think of writing that helps shape character sometimes. Many time you'll not write something misleading so there you're thinking about yourself and others.

Lets hope skyfire......I would only hope it shapes character...well said!

2. G Miah profile image77
      G Miahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with the above. Everyone wears a mask, even when you meet someone in person.

Rate someone on their writing and not on what they may be like in real life.

3. GOZIEM profile image57

Masks, be it in real life or internet. We all wear masks, we hardly reveal ourselves. So our real character is only restricted to us. that is to say that man is the worst enemy to himself and as well a person may hayed himself for a long time without you knowing the persons full character.

5. jill-of-all trade profile image57

WOW thanks for the quick replies.......

6. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

yes if I discovered that the irish observer was not a former criminal but a preahcer I would want to stay away from him, imagine, he might even be a butchers dog.....what if bart simpson is actually a cruel sinnner. what if Lisa is a woman of the night....jesus smile

roll

lol

what if....and Im just sayin' here.......just what if the smurf's DO NOT exist?????  tongue

Thanks irish

7. Mike Lickteig profile image76
    Mike Lickteigposted 14 years ago

The personality, character and beliefs of the author will often be revealed in what he or she writes.  In the sense that I might object strenuously to an opinion that differs from mine, it could be true that the "character" of the author matters.  Otherwise, what do we really know of the character of anyone here?

8. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Who is Lisa ? neutral

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

lisa simpson....a cartoon

9. profile image0
    EmpressFelicityposted 14 years ago

I think that a person's writing gives you at best a partial picture of their character, and at worst is completely misleading.

History is full of people who produced great art/writing, but who were real sh1ts in person.  Doesn't make their art any less valid though, although it is quite an interesting subject in its own right - the discrepancy between someone's literary/artistic output and their personality.

1. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I gotta agree with this one Empress. You hit dead-on. If it's worth reading, read it. If it doesn't interest you, don't read it. so what if the person on the other end is....whatever....? Who cares if we'll never know.

10. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

I believe I'll complicate things a little - writers have personalities and then when they write as much as they might want to disguise themselves and their personality it will be apparent to the discerning reader who and what they are! 

However, and this is where it gets complicated - writers also do despicable things that we may never learn of, even when their basic personality is intelligent, and good, and likable - so we must not worry - as long as we are careful about what we do on the internet, they can't harm us.  Does that make sense at all?

1. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree. But i have seen that people do write for things which they don't want to use and for pure sales. There comes sanity part.

2. tantrum profile image61

Be careful !
      I'm around !
      and I'm a writer. A very dangerous thing to be !
      lol

1. mega1 profile image80
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

one of the MOST dangerous!  I'm not telling you anything!

11. theirishobserver. profile image60

Imagine if the person at the other side of the world sitting on his/her computer exchanging banter was actually a bunny boiler......Ma....Ma....they are coming to get me.....ma

1. mega1 profile image80

be serious - no, no, don't!

or.......decends the lotion down the well....."I SAID RUB IT ON EVENLY"!!!!!!!  wink

12. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

lol

13. profile image0
    Poppa Bluesposted 14 years ago

Of course character counts, but only if you care about credibility.

14. theirishobserver. profile image60

Even if someone puts up a pic (see other thread) and tells you they are the son of a preacher man, how would you know, nonsense, the only character you should worry about is the one sharing your bed and even he/she is an unknown quantity......

15. theirishobserver. profile image60

jill of all trade - like it love it....she rubs the lotion on her shin......what was the name of that wee dog....oh yea precious......here precious...here precious...

16. theirishobserver. profile image60

You have seen my rooster, what more do you want from me....sorry wrong thread....

17. theirishobserver. profile image60

what if I am freddie, you know from the film, were would you hide then, what if I have a special computer and I can see into your room.....what if this computer is actually your computer and I am typing right now while you think about something to type...what if I wear your lisa Simpson slippers when you are down at the shopping mall....what if that noise was actually me in the wardrobe looking for something to wear.....oh I like this real nylon..... smile

1. mega1 profile image80

sweetie, I have a really great therapist for you!

18. tantrum profile image61

lol

19. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

where's manlypoet?   I put up the pic of me on the tractor!  and it takes a lot of courage to put my own image up!

20. theirishobserver. profile image60

What if that noise was me falling in the wardrobe because your a size 6 and I am a size 10...too bloody tight...what if that shadow at the window (look around) is not a car passing by by me up a ladder looking in your window with a big torch, yes a big torch in my hand, what if - I am actually in the fridge, thats right go and check, what if that knock on the door is not the pizza delivery boy....what if.............

1. mega1 profile image80

what if you go to the bathroom and you're quite sure you didn't leave the seat up, and there aren't any men around???

1. tobey100 profile image59
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

OK, now you're scaring ME!

21. tantrum profile image61

lol

22. theirishobserver. profile image60

stop for a moment, listen, is their fog outside, wait, dont move just yet, ok you can go now I was just shaken off....your night gown sure is absorvent....

23. theirishobserver. profile image60

Oh I think all Hubbers should be from respectable backgrounds, I think male hubbers should wear white vest and undies, any male hubber found with his hand off the key board should be banned, any female hubber should dress formally - a nice dress with flowers - and cotton panties/white, any female hubber with hands off the key board should be spanked.....no hubber should be allowed to satrt hubbing until they have washed their hands and cleaned behind their ears......if a hubber goes to the bathroom they must wash hands on return.....

1. mega1 profile image80

what about gloves for the ladies?  Or gloves for both ladies and gents at all times! while posting on the forums that is

24. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

Oh well, if character counts, then there's no hope for me. I'm making it my current mission to grow old disgracefully.

1. donotfear profile image83
      donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You know it!!!!  Ha!  lol

25. theirishobserver. profile image60

writeangled, whats this old about if your on here your young at heart and thats what matters.....

1. WriteAngled profile image73
      WriteAngledposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I still retain the right to be disgraceful

26. jill-of-all trade profile image57

Good lord I leave for a few minutes and come back to some raving COCK <<<hehhe hahahaaaaa hardee har har.....

Ok what if I actually wear a size 14 nylon...WTH is nylon? like panyhose? what if I didn't tell the doctors of the purple unicorns and rainbow brite, perhaps I would have more congenial visits tongue

Ok I get your point...but, yep there's a but

I think when your writing about something, it should something you believe in, stand by and whole-hearted believe...wait that was a movie.........

ermmm what I mean to say is irishman pass the meds  wink

27. Lita C. Malicdem profile image61
    Lita C. Malicdemposted 14 years ago

This is the real me in picture and in my writings. I only write what I can handle because I believe that if I'm honest I'll command respect. I respect all the hubbers I meet here. I hope to meet more, and I don't judge anybody by only a perceived character  which happens when I meet them only once through their hub. I follow those whose hubs are informative along my line and somehow gain closeness as I exchange comments with them.

is good to be honest in all that you do so as to command respect. And is good to respect all the hubbers you meet here. So you will meet more people,

war is the greatest plague that can afflict humanity, it destroys religion, it destroys state. It destroys families, any scourge is preferable to it.

when you are right you cannot be too radical; when you are wrong, you cannot be too conservative

1. Cagsil profile image70

Yet, another post that is irrelevant to the conversation.

2. Cagsil profile image70

And, what difference does this statement have to do with the topic at hand? roll

28. theirishobserver. profile image60

I....remember....one time...and I was Hubbing...and I felt a cold draft against my neck....I was afraid to look around so I just kept on Hubbing....I could smell lavender..and I thought that smell is familiar...but I did not know where from....then I remembered my great grandmother...Elsie...always wore that scent.....I could feel the breeze for a long time....then I decided to look around and there was nothing there....but then the door opened wide and I could see a shadow calling to me...I followed....the shadow took me out into the garden....down the long winding path to the old shed....I was afraid...scared...lonely...yet..I dont know...perhaps I felt numb...what was this - where was I....I followed the shadow into the shed...the light flickered....the door creaked...the floor boards squeaked...the light went out...the shadow brushed aginst me as it disapeared out the door....I reached for the old oil lamp in the corner...I struck a match to light it but the match was damp....I found another match and this time got the lamp to light....I could not believe what was lying on the floor.......yes...an old Hubber I once knew as Maximustitty...he was dying...alone...cold and helpless....he called me close to his lips so I could hear his last words....Im sorry.....I lied....I am no preacher mans son......I am a bank robber...I have just been shot and I am not long for this world....forgive me for lying to you on the Hub...I just wanted to be accepted....I should have told you I was a criminal...but I thought you would not think I was Hubtastic......babe I think you are Hublicious....you and your fine family and big house...can you forgive me and pray for me when you go to church on Sunday....................

29. tantrum profile image61

lol lol lol
    Oh you make me laugh sooo much !!
    I can'pt stop !
    lol lol lol

30. theirishobserver. profile image60

actually I better go now, I am on a promise, if I leave it too late she will be too tired smile 9.30pm here...love you all see you tomorrow...smile

31. jill-of-all trade profile image57

WOW......I grabbed my kleenex........

You know irish there is a point to this question I posted, and only I will know. Some of you have brought to light of my conviction and others have only confirmed what I believe.

I just think that the character of the person should has some truth to what they type...perhaps at some level there is or a yearning of being what someone writes....but with that said perhaps one should change inwardly before expressings themselves openingly.......That make any sense  tongue

P.S. I see your followong me.and I am following you know  (muwahahahahhahaaaaa) my evil laugh  wink

32. Ladybird33 profile image66
    Ladybird33posted 14 years ago

I am here to read and learn, not to judge...but interesting question, no doubt.

33. Alessia Amnesia profile image60
    Alessia Amnesiaposted 14 years ago

Well... I'd like to say that the article is most important to me, but there are some hubbers out there who use the forums and make me want to stay away from their hubs come hell or high water.

34. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I take into consideration, all of their actions, beit writing or taking part in the forums.

The words used, to write hubs and the words used to talk in the forum, form a distinctive message, for which, character can be determined, with enough interaction. smile

Does the character of a hubber count? This depends based on what you can learn from all that I mentioned. smile

35. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

A person's writing tells a lot about who they truly are, what they feel or what is happening, the truth is in the writing. smile

36. profile image0
    blatvaposted 14 years ago

The internet is a wonderful place to be whoever it is you want to be :3  Who cares if the carefree hippie writer turns out to be a Mother of four in Suburbia?

I think everyone is sort of... split. We all have parts of ourselves That seem to hide. And on here, especially, Its like a safe haven :3

The real world doesn't much matter.

37. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Gossiping about another is not a nice game to play smile that says a lot in itself.

38. theirishobserver. profile image60

Yes indeed, I stood there motionless, as Maximustitty, my old Hubbing buddy lay dead, Oh I cried, I wondered why he had lied to me, we could have been closer, but then who am I to ask for so much, I would always remember Titty (I called him titty) as the Guy at the other side of the world who was the son of a preacher man, it was not important now that he had lied, that he was in fact a criminal, how different my life could have been if only I had known the truth about titty, yes, I would never know now, he lay there face down in the mud, sorry, shed, his life drained away, goodbye titty I cried......goodbye...

39. rebekahELLE profile image86
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

on a site like this, I read topics that interest me and hubbers that I like and respect as both a person and writer.

there are so many! smile

40. theirishobserver. profile image60

Then I said to myself, Maximustitty is gone, gone forever, or is he, perhaps tomorrow night when I am Hubbing he will be someone else, like I mean he can cant he, I mean he could be Maximuswillie or something, I would not know, would I, I mean I thought he was the son of a preacher man but he wasnt, so sure, he could be back, how would I know, I will miss Titty, did I say we called him Titty, yes I will miss him so much, well I guess I better go back to the house now.....

41. theirishobserver. profile image60

Well I finally got back to the house, gee it was cold, I grabed a cookie and a glass of milk and made my way up stairs, my computer was still running, I sat down and began to think of the long night I had Hubbed with Titty, gone now, he was, gone, ah well, better start hubbing again.....

42. theirishobserver. profile image60

Yes I decided I needed to use the bathroom, I always thought about titty when I used the bathroom, thats why I wore the gloves, mega, they were, non drip, loved them, still Titty was gone now, I often wonder if he is Hubbing up in heaven or down in hell, I dont know where Hubbers go, I heard of Hubber heaven but I dont know...dam...I wish I knew where Titty was gone...

43. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

Dear Irish - I don't know where you were on the night in question, but may I suggest that YOU are Titty - and you have once again led these good people on a terrible goose-chase!  Now I wonder whether I can believe ANYTHING you put forward here.  You don't really care if people wash their hands before they post, now, do you?  and if I wear gloves and a lovely little flowered frock while I write to you about your ruffled cock(hey, this is turning poetic!) will it really matter to you anymore than if I were actually a burly gent who likes to display his more "feminine" side and wear his wife's silken undies?  (ahhhh, that felt good!)

44. theirishobserver. profile image60

Then I looked in the mirror, was this all a dream, was mega a wee man in a rain coat, was I Titty, I was confused, what were those stains on my gloves...my God...what has happened...this is just Mega or is it....or what...

1. mega1 profile image80

I don't know, Mac, he said he was Irish - and Irish observer, stumbled out here on the street mumbling about megas and his gloves!  His fly was down and he looked rather bloody - those bloody gloves . . . .  .  or was it blood?  hmmmmmmmmm. . . no, I think not, the gloves are pink and that is just some other kind of semi-liquid substance.   Don't touch it!  everybody stand back!  We don't know where this guy has been!  He could be the HubPages murderer!  get the cuffs on him!

45. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 14 years ago

hmmmmmm . . . find out where he got those cute pink gloves, would ya?

46. theirishobserver. profile image60

I just lay there on the ground, I didnot care anymore now that Titty was gone, I could hear the cop cars coming, I knew this was it, I knew my cosy existance as a Hubber was over, CSI would find the evidence on my gloves, I could not take them off Mega1 was standing on my hands restraining me, that short skirt fooled nobody, she was commando alright, said she was marine but I could see now that she had lied, dam you why dam you why...Titty...why

1. mega1 profile image80

wake up, Irish, wake up!  man, dude, that was some radical dream you had!  Time for a cold shower I think!

47. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 14 years ago

Yea just playin with ya so another words

To thine own self be true big_smile BUT if ya can come across as being eloquent ,intelligent with big boobs , youre in like flyn lol

1. mega1 profile image80

but not big MAN boobs, right?  just askin' . . .

48. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

Not really.. its what you write that counts and not your character.. at least on hub pages..

49. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Like a watermelon, one can tell a man's character with a good thumpin'.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
      Eaglekiwiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I gotta remember that one ....lol

50. profile image0
    B.C. BOUTIQUEposted 14 years ago

mostly the topics and writings, but you can usually tell the character of a person by their hubs and what they post alot about or hub about frequently.

At least that is my opinion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)