I'd like feedback on my article: My Dad and The Flying Scooters

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. Sallie Mullinger profile image62
    Sallie Mullingerposted 4 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

This is the 3rd time I have adjusted, rewritten, deleted etc words, phrases, names from this story and the 3rd time I have received an email saying that its too spammy..whatever that means. Your description of spammy is very vague. So perhaps someone, here, could use exact examples of what is meant by "spammy".

Its a simple story really and not meant to be the Great Gatsby. I just would like to understand why my past changes, including today's, do not seem to be meeting your criteria.

Thank you
    Here is my article: My Dad and The Flying Scooters

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

It is not spammy. That is a form email that is sent out to people that fail the quality assessment process.
      It is,however, way too short. It is kind of like a blog post, and nothing like the kind of writing that is here on HP. Have you read the articles on the niche sites. They are at least 750 words long and there is a higher standard of grammar. The subtitle itself is probably enough to make it fail QAP.
      Read the HP help section (availbable on your profile page).
      You will have a lot more work to do if you want this to be acceptable. If you would like to try writing an article about information you are familiar with you will probably be better off. You can revisit this later.

2. N.E. Wright profile image70
      N.E. Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It seemed to end abruptly.  It is so good, but very short.  I was looking forward to reading more and it ended way too soon in my opinion.  Still, before that, I was hooked.  More about that day would be great.

Sallie Mullingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thank you! I appreciate your encouraging words and support. I will definitely go back and add content.

1. N.E. Wright profile image70
          N.E. Wrightposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No problem.  Glad I can help in any way.

3. quotations profile image88
      quotationsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't think your hub is spammy at all and it was actually quite good.

Are you sure that "spamminess" is the reason for the rejection, or did they send you a form email which mentions several possible reasons for rejection, with spamminess being one of them. If the case of a form email, they list every possible reason even if some do not apply to you. I realize that can be frustrating.

I think that the real issue is the sequence of publication used on hubpages. First you have to get your article published on Hubpages and then it can be moved to a niche site such as Letterpile, which is probably the appropriate home for your hub.

But the publication criteria for hubpages main site are geared against very personal brief reminiscences in preference for magazine style articles that deal with a specific topic or question such as "Does Sasquatch Exist" and then proceed to discuss that topic.

So I think it is harder to get short creative writing pieces and memoirs past the initial publication gate. I realize that you have had other similar work published, but there is a certain degree of unpredictability.

I have had some nonfiction articles unpublished as not meeting quality standards, despite the fact that they were very similar in format (not content) to other articles that were not only featured but got accepted to niche sites for being of better quality. So sometimes the workings of the quality assessment process can be a bit obscure. I would recommend trying a different article and seeing if you encounter similar problems. If not then the problem is restricted to this one only, and you may need to just abandon this story and publish it elsewhere. Sometimes there is nothing that can be done.

You may also try to reach out to the editors and ask them to reconsider and or give you feedback. I have had some success with this.

Thank you for your fair assessment of my story. I got quite a bit of useful information from you and I appreciate that. I also appreciate the fact that you didn't come across as insulting or condescending.

FTR..yes, I have been told that I received a  form email which did mention my story being spammy. This isnt the first time I have received that same email. That email is not even close to being helpful at all and honestly should probably not be used since it doesnt offer concise reasons for a story not being published.

In any case, your critique was very helpful and I will consider everything you said.

Thanks again.

2. Sallie Mullinger profile image62

Hmmm...interesting that you consider it way too short when Ive had several stories published which were equally as short or even shorter...one specifically being recommended for Letterpile. Also, your email's use of the word "spammy" being very non specific doesnt help at all since apparently that wasnt the issue at all.

Additionally, I have had many, many stories published which do contain many more than 750 words. I truly do not feel helped by your critique but more insulted and rather confused since your criteria of "too short" doesnt equate based on my comment above.

Thanks for reaching out.

1. greenmind profile image94
      greenmindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So sorry that the critique made you feel insulted, but once you get past that you might want to see it as being exactly what you asked for -- non-judgemental, to-the-point suggestions from someone who took the time to try to help you out.

2. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sallie,

You aren't addressing staffers or editors here, we are other hubbers who try to work out why an article might have been rejected. So the email you received is not 'ours', it's just a form email that all rejected pieces received.

I notice you have 170 articles, many of which are similar to this one, so I'm not sure why this one hasn't passed QAP. However, it's possible that HubPages is becoming more strict on its guidelines that articles should be of good length (at least 750 words), informative and not too personal.

Letterpile is where creative writing usually goes. It's not a high traffic site as far as I'm aware.

https://hubpageshelp.com/standards/Lear … tured-Hubs

3. DrMark1961 profile image96

Wow.
      Whatever. Sorry I tried to help.

3. Rupert Taylor profile image97
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Oh Dear. I was going to make almost exactly the same comments as Dr. Mark, but he beat me to it. Too short, more like a blog than an article, and that long intro in sub-head typeface is wrong.

My understanding is that HubPages wants magazine-style, unique, information-rich articles that answer issues readers are looking for. The 750 to 1,200 word length is frequently mentioned, although I can understand why poetry and such on Letterpile might be acceptable at a shorter length.

Dr. Mark was quite clear in pointing out that the "Spammy" element is boiler plate and does not apply to your article.

I'm not sure why you feel insulted by someone who tried to help you improve your article.

Possibly because the entire tone of his "advice" was rude and condescending.

One can offer advice, as others have, without coming across as he did.

It might help if, before offering advice, those giving the advice check out other stories I have written. Doing so would eliminate the "too short" comment, as several of mine were similar in length. It might also show that I have well over 100 stories "approved" "published" etc without any issues.

I took offense to his cavalier attitude that I didnt know anything about writing and posting on Hubpages which, if he had bothered to check, I have done successfully for several years now.

I am finished asking for this sort of advice.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96

It was not cavlier. It was clear and to the point. If you are so mentally challenged that you are unable to understand that I am very sorry for you.

4. Sallie Mullinger profile image62

You just proved your rudeness and arrogance by referring to me as mentally challenged.

Please stop contacting me.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image95
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14570910.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)