Maven Terms of Service

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 4 years ago

Does this mean that Maven effectively owns my work? 

"You grant Maven a perpetual, irrevocable, nonexclusive, royalty-free, worldwide, fully paid, and sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, publicly perform and display your User Content and any name, username or likeness provided in connection with your User Content for any purpose and in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you for any purpose."

1. eugbug profile image95
      eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

No, we own copyright, but Maven can do what they like with it as long as it's on the service. We can remove content at any time (hopefully) unlike the case with other websites such as Wikihow where you sell your soul and can't delete your content (even though you still own copyright).
      Where did the "without compensation" bit come from? Does it mean earnings? Was this in the terms when there was a long forum discussion about all this several months ago?

1. k@ri profile image85
        k@riposted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is part of what I do not like, the rest comes right before that stating, ". . . in all media formats and channels now known or later developed without compensation to you for any purpose."  I didn't find anything about this on that forum when I looked.

2. Venkatachari M profile image83
        Venkatachari Mposted 4 years agoin reply to this

As far as I understand it, it doesn't refer to your earnings from advertisements. They (Maven) simply tell you that they will not pay you any money for publishing or using your content for any purpose. But, you will be earning the revenue from your own post wherever you have published it. It is so simple.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

We are candles in the wind...

3. Ben716 profile image90
    Ben716posted 4 years ago

What I do know is that we own the copyright to our work. We can delete and publish them elsewhere as I have done with articles that aren't getting any views here.
    As long as the article exists on their site, they can use it in whatever format and however they want.
    But still that part you quoted is scary.

1. profile image0
      blue22dposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If one does post elsewhere, do you then have to delete that particular article from here?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
        Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, You then have wait a proper time for it to disappear from the serps before posting it elsewhere.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your reply!

1. Ben716 profile image90
            Ben716posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes. You have to delete here before you publish it elsewhere. But as noted by Randy, you have to wait until the presence of the article no longer exists on Hubpages' servers. It usually takes a minimum of two weeks.

1. theraggededge profile image96
              theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

This is incorrect. You can publish your material anywhere AFTER it has been published at HubPages. There's no requirement to remove it from HP and there's no penalty, apart from the fact that it doesn't make sense to do so.

However, you can't publish it here if you have ALREADY published it elsewhere otherwise it will trip the duplicate content filter.

1. Ben716 profile image90
                Ben716posted 4 years agoin reply to this

You are correct. I did it the other way. You can't publish an article here that you've published it in another site.

1. profile image0

Thanks. Appreciate the clarity.

2. profile image0

Good to know.  Thanks for clearing that up for me.

4. Brenda Arledge profile image81
    Brenda Arledgeposted 4 years ago

It would be nice if we benefited a little bit from this...

5. k@ri profile image85
    k@riposted 4 years ago

I found the following in another forum called "Update to the HubPages Privacy . . . "  It was an answer to some of my questions.  The answer came from Robin, staff.  I am going to post my question on the other forum.  Thank you all for your help.

"Great question. There were similar questions raised by the community in October, and the same answers apply now. Since HubPages was acquired by Maven, we now have the ability to potentially get your content even broader traffic, while still tracking and crediting it into your earnings. There is essentially no difference for you other than hopefully we can make you more money because being a part of the Maven ecosystem of sites allows us to get more eyeballs in front of your content. You still retain all the same ownership rights and control on your content, and we will continue to have your best interest at heart in regard to this ownership."

6. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Just thought I'd mention...

Before moving an article anywhere:
    A. Be sure to find and have removed all the stolen copies.
    B. Be sure to instruct Google to remove all the index links.

1. k@ri profile image85
      k@riposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Good point, paradigmsearch.  Finding all the copies is a giant task.  And if you miss one, it will have an older publishing date than any moved articles.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, it's getting to the point where it is almost impossible. Personally, I'd have used a much more colorful term than "giant task". big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)