Snipped my Amazon capsule, now I'm broke!

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

Not really, because I have a job. But I did have my Amazon capsule snipped from one of my articles on another account from an article which was the only one from which I've ever really made any money from Amazon. If I was super paranoid, I'd think it was intentional that they'd snip the one article that earned me the most from Amazon. But I guess I'll be level headed. El Oh El.

Anyway, not much I can do about it, but I've read this complaint over and over on the forums, about people having Amazon capsules that earned money snipped, thought I'd add my voice to the chorus.

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Try emailing Robin - earning Amazon should not be snipped. It is proof that it is useful as well as a money maker for both you and HP. I would have bust a gut.

2. samanthacubbison profile image82
      samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi there,

I assure you that we do not make snips or allow products to stay based on earnings. There are many factors that go into a snip—but we do sometimes make mistakes.

Please email team@hubpages.com with a link to your article!

NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure it can be fixed, I changed the article with text links to amazon products rather than the capsules. No sales anymore though. I'll send the link nonetheless.

3. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

HubPages has been discouraging the use of Amazon capsules for quite some time.  Amazone products should be linked in the text instead.

4. profile image0
      Kamkar sanjuktaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have seen this topic earlier also. If putting the Amazon capsule is being discouraged, then why on Earth the option is there to add it?

Exactly.

2. theraggededge profile image96
        theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's because there are thousands of old hubs that have them. If they discontinue it, it will cause a huge amount of hassle.

But now we know that visitors with ad-blockers can't see them, there's no point in adding them to new articles.

5. NateB11 profile image88

What's pretty sh----y is that I know I would have made payout on that account if they'd left it alone. Kind of insult to injury considering how low earnings have dropped.

1. samanthacubbison profile image82

We do not discourage adding Amazon products as a whole, but as @theraggededge pointed out, they aren't as effective as in-text links.

Also, remember that you must include your personal experience with every product that you include. If you did this but the product was still snipped, please let us know.

Excuse, but you absolutely discourage the use of Amazon ads. I have not been able to add an Amazon capsule/text link to an article in 4 years.

And if that is NOT a company policy, then someone needs to talk to the editors.  It appears that NATEB11 has had this article for years, reviewed by editors for years, earning money monthly, and now it is GONE. Why?

1. samanthacubbison profile image82

Because our rules and regulations change over the years. We are doing these Network Site refreshers to implement these changes. Our policy is that if you don't include your personal expertise/experience with a product, you cannot include it. Otherwise, you are free to do as you wish.

References: 

https://hubpages.com/faq/#word-per-product

https://hubpages.com/faq/#Spammy-Elements (see "Products" section)

https://hubpages.com/faq/#unrelated

2. NateB11 profile image88

Amen, thanks, Barbara!

This personal experience thing in articles is absurd at times. I had an editor ask me to make an article more personal to get it on a niche site and I gave it a go and they still wouldn't make it happen. No Amazon ads on this article and the subject matter was literally my main area of expertise. This idea that what you write should be "personal" is kind of arbitrary and unreasonable. If an article is successful, why tamper? It's counterproductive if they are more or less destroying articles for a questionable rule. Even if an article were not based on "personal" experience, the rule flies in the face of a long history of the writing profession; as if writers have never written an article or book that they just simply researched to write.

Exactly! Personal experience with an item is not a requirement anywhere on the planet that I know of except for here. In some instances, it just sounds silly and unprofessional, like a child's report on "what I did last summer."

2. profile image0
              Kamkar sanjuktaposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"The personal experience" criteria is there for a long time. Or at least since I joined. Then why now the capsule of your article has been snitched? The article should not passed the QAP that time also.

6. profile image0
      Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Try adding it in again as a paragraph with an in-text link.  You can add a photo of the product in a photo capsule. They seem to have it in for the capsules - even if you email them and ask for an exception, another moderator may get snip-happy later.

2. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

I'm being asked to change the article arbitrarily but it was doing fine as it was, before it was edited. Not the first time an edit by staff stripped me of earnings. Strangely counterproductive way to edit. But, anyway, no not changing it for an error that wasn't my fault, I'd be better off moving the article where it can earn as it is.

3. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I usually take the photo of a product from the Amazon link and use it adjacent to any text I've added about the product.

That's interesting, I might try it. Now, do you mean you place the image and place it under the text capsule about the product?

1. eugbug profile image97
        eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, usually underneath. I'm not sure who owns the photos, presumably the manufacturers of the products, but I just credit as "Amazon"

4. SmartAndFun profile image92
    SmartAndFunposted 4 years ago

With some extra time on my hands due to... (you know what), I have been updating some of my ancient hubs. I have been removing Amazon capsules across the board so that there are no products at all in these made-over hubs. However, in a couple of these old hubs I am basically recommending a product, so it would be smart to link to the product.

Has anyone written a hub that explains how to create an in-text link to an Amazon product rather than using a capsule? I don't see any instructions for this in the Learning Center and the search function is useless these days. I am so behind the times I don't know how to do this!
    yikes yikes yikes

1. theraggededge profile image96
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You don't need a whole hub to explain it smile

Okay, so let's say I want to link to a book on Amazon. Books are really easy because you can quote from them thusly...

As Jo Bland says, in her book, 'TV Dinners Together', we can all bond over the prepping and eating of blah blah. I think Jo has made a really good point here because blah blah...

So you'd highlight the book title. Click on the chain link icon in the text capsule toolbar. Then click on the Amazon tab. Your book should be at the top of the list. You might have to decide between Kindle or print. Select the correct one and click Save (at the top of the dialogue box). It's done.

Of course if you are linking to other items, you would have to decide how to mention that product in your text.

Go have a practice.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)