Feedback on my Article

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (24 posts)
  1. vidsagster profile image85
    vidsagsterposted 4 years ago
    1. theraggededge profile image88
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi,

I just skimmed it, but it looks like a very comprehensive article. It's featured anyway, so you don't really need feedback.

I would suggest you get rid of the thumbnail images - they aren't necessary. Also use 'Children', rather than 'kids'. It looks more professional. It's okay to use kids once or twice, but your article is about children not baby goats smile

Also, re grandparents, during lockdown, children are supposed to stay away from elderly people - at least in the UK that's the advice given.

vidsagsterposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the update theraggededge. The article is featured, but did not get accepted in the networking site, Wehavekids, so I was wondering what the problem was. I guess because the topic is related to a current situation and may not be relevant after some time, it did not get accepted. Anyways that's ok, I have done my part, put in my efforts and it is featured. That's good enough, I guess.

2. OldRoses profile image95
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I agree with theraggededge, unless the grandparents are living in the same house as their grandchildren (rare here in the US), they should have no contact.  The shelter in place orders here in the US forbid contact with anyone that is not living in the same household.

I would also recommend moving the capsule about education to the top as the first suggestion.  I do not have young children, but the people I know who do, are most concerned with how to best help their children keep up with their academics and stay on task.  For US readers, you should expand that information.  Keeping children entertained is not as important for American parents.

Thanks OldRoses. I will make the changes that you have mentioned. Not just in the US, here too parents are more concerned about the children's academics than entertainment, but given that it is almost summer vacation time and there may not be a chance for vacations this year, a little entertainment from home should be good for their health. You know as the saying goes'all work and no play.....'

3. Marra profile image69
      Marraposted 4 years agoin reply to this

vidsagster... i felt your article was a very thought provoking article, flowed well, cohesive, clearly written, great punctuation, beautifully illustrated, and quite engaging.

Thank you so much Marra. I am glad you liked my article. I appreciate your kind comments, they inspire me to keep writing.

2. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 4 years ago

I'm in Singapore, a densely populated city. Family visits are currently strongly discouraged. Esp the visiting of elderly relatives.

Thanks for the comments CYong74. Yes visiting elderly relatives is strongly not advised. But interaction need not be in person. I interact with my granddaughter who's in Canada through video calls all the time and it feels nice for both of us to stay connected and share our thoughts regularly, though we are not actually together.

3. MitaraN profile image57
    MitaraNposted 4 years ago

I have experienced the same, even the basic articles where it's featured but returned on comments on the email that does not make any sense. I have tested with a few basic articles and had the same problem, no one could give good and clear answers.

4. MitaraN profile image57

Given that it's still circulating on HubPages, how can you feature on one and not the other.

When you receive some clear answer, let me know.

Thanks Mitara, that's what I was wondering about too. It would be good to get featured on a networking site where you get more readership. We work so hard to get an article published and naturally expect more viewers. Why is it so hard to get accepted by the networking sites is what I don't get.

2. theraggededge profile image88

When you first publish an article and it is featured, it appears on the hubpages.com site. If it is deemed high quality, it will be moved to the relevant network site.

So that's how it can be on one and not the other. It cannot be on both smile

5. MitaraN profile image57

I honestly thought by being given the option, and the articles being featured based on high quality, the linking site would accept.

So we have to wait for the articles to be moved by HubPages.

'Featured' is not the same as 'high quality'. Featured just means it is good enough for HubPages, which acts as a kind of holding site. Some articles do well on HP; most don't. HubPages was the subject of a severe Google slap a few years ago, which is why the network sites were created. And that's why we can't link from an article on a network site back to HubPages - because Google sees that backlink as poor quality.

I noticed with your articles, Mitara, that several are titled 'Chapter X'. They are in different categories so it doesn't make sense. Additionally, only 1, 3 and 5 are featured right now, so your readers are going to be confused. You aren't writing a book here, you are writing stand alone articles. Those titles will prevent your articles being moved to network sites, so it would be a good idea to edit them.

6. MitaraN profile image57

The method to the chapters are up and coming due to various reasonings, and weren't what I have attempted to submit.

The basic articles I mention are the recipes, are you able to give me more insight into those perhaps.

Nah... I don't like cooking big_smile

Seriously, most recipes I see on HP are pretty dull. Looking at your Chicken Pot Roast - where is the info? Why should I make it? Why is it good for families? How often do you make it? Was the recipe passed down to you? What are some alternative ingredients/variations?

You have to sell the sizzle. This random link via Pinterest is typical of most recipe pages/blogs these days. That's what you should aim for. Obviously HP formatting will be different and pared back, but you should give more information. Sell it.

https://cooktoria.com/mashed-potato-cakes/

7. AshlyChristen profile image79
    AshlyChristenposted 4 years ago

When you do cook, what do you like to make?

8. MitaraN profile image57

Anyways Vidya aside from all negativity, Your article, was not lacking anything to the average reader, you covered everything.

If it's not an acquired taste so be it, there will be critics, don't let that get you down. Your articles are brilliant, therefore featured.

Rather we learn and share positive information on the how. Let me know if you receive insightful feedback.

Thanks Mitara, yes let us do our best and hope for the best. If it gets selected for a network site it is better. Anyway, it is good that we can share and interact with fellow hubbers and learn. Sure I will let you know when I receive any insightful feedback.

1. AliciaC profile image93
        AliciaCposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hi, vidsagster. I love your photos and I like many of your ideas and the detail that you’ve included in your article. I think there are a few things that you could improve, though.

“Coronavirus” is one word.

“On the positive aspect” in the second sentence is not a phrase that’s used in English. You should try to reword that section because it’s one of the first things that people reading your article see.

You should proofread the article carefully to catch a few errors, such as capitalization ones and your typo in “te=hey” in the Baking and Cooking capsule.

You say that people could sign up for baking or cooking classes. You should probably mention that these classes should be online ones.

Since you mention things that people may need to go to stores to buy, such as seeds. an aquarium, and fish, you should probably describe the safety aspects of shopping in the time of the coronavirus and social distancing. I know you don’t say that people have to shop for the items that you’ve mentioned, but some people might be encouraged to do so after reading your article.

Some of the paragraphs are a bit long. It would be good to split them up if this is possible.

You don’t need to use a thumbnail photo when only one image is present in a capsule.

Writing the subtitles in APA style title case may be helpful.

Thanks, Alicia for the thorough review of my article. I have made the changes that you have suggested, split the paragraphs, removed the thumbnail in the photo, et al. The typo error was an oversight which happened when I edited the article which I have changed. Thanks again for the feedback and keep up the good work.

2. profile image0
      Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's very simple, really.   Your article must reach a certain standard of writing to be featured on the HubPages.com site.

It is then automatically considered for transfer to the other sites, but the editors consider the value of the content as well as the standard of writing.  The other sites are like magazines and they don't want repetitive or lacklustre articles.

Let's say I wrote an article about how to make a flamenco skirt.  The quality of the writing is good so it is featured - but if there are already three articles on Hobbylark about how to make flamenco skirts, mine will not be chosen.

With your recipes, take a look at what is already on the recipe site.  If you've written a recipe for roast chicken and there are already lots of articles about roast chicken on the site, yours won't stand a chance. You need to find a way to make it unique

9. Marra profile image69
    Marraposted 4 years ago

Marisa, really, really great post. I've been away for a while, tending to my life, so this refresher is so needed. Best!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)