I'd Like Feedback: 10 Tongue Twisters to Improve English Pronunciation

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. Diana Grant profile image91
    Diana Grantposted 3 years ago

https://hubpages.com/education/english_tongue_twisters

Owlcation has just rejected it, so I need to make some changes. In particular, do you think I should remove my own made-up tongue twister at the end?

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi Diana,

Here's what I would do:

Get rid of the ugly first image and the Aztec one at the end. Don't mention your t-shirts.

Remove the frames from the other images.

Go through the text and eliminate unnecessary words. For example, 'when you read them to yourself'. You only need, 'when you read them'.

And, 'repeating them several times until you get it right.' You only need 'repeating them until you get it right'. Getting tough on the 'unnecessaries'  tightens up the writing.

Read every sentence and see if tyou can shorten it. Another example, 'Further down this page you will find various tongue twisters set out in detail.' I would say, 'Further down this page you will find various tongue twisters to try.'

Also get rid of 'very'. It dilutes your writing.

I don't know if it will work to get the article to Owlcation, but it might.

Diana Grantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your help.  I'm changing the wording in the way you suggest, including any reference to a T-shirt design, and am considering removing the two pictures you mentioned and also the tongue twister that I made up myself.  But I can't quite bring myself to do it - I really thought the pictures would give it character.  I'll sleep on it .....plant a seed and let it grow.

2. MariaMontgomery profile image92
        MariaMontgomeryposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Also, "further" should be "farther". Farther refers to distance, while further refers to more of something -- unless you're in the UK, I'm told.

Diana and I are both in the UK smile

2. Miebakagh57 profile image68
      Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Hi there, you were reminding me of brief tongue twisting lesson I took, back when I was a child.                             I like the first photo. It fits well within the period tongue twistters began to trend. Equally, it looks archaic and not in terms of modern trends. I would advice you look for a resemblance in which subject twist face in modern suits.       Your composed twister is good. It shows originality in you work. However, I detect a lacuna, the (o') its archaitic.                         Seriously, you have determined not to deleted your twister as another has suggest. Then change o' to of.       All the best for it to sail through.

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years ago

I agree with theraggededge about the first picture. It's 'orrible!

Have you emailed the team to find out why it didn't make it to Owlcation? It may be that it duplicates or is similar to an article already on that site, e.g. this one by Rupert Taylor https://owlcation.com/humanities/Tangli … e-twisters

Diana Grantposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No, they didn't say that it duplicates or similar to another article. 

It's funny, I love that first picture - I took ages to Photoshop it, and thought it would be both funny and eye-catching.

3. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 3 years ago

I agree with both previous responses. Not sure how much you've updated the article since you wrote it, it does need some adjustments. I'd also suggest changing/altering the rugged rocks photo. Having a sloping sea is never good. If it's your photo, edit the sea to be level. If not, find another shot.

I didn't notice that.

And isn't it Llanelli? Or is Llanelly somewhere else?

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
        Beth Eaglescliffeposted 3 years agoin reply to this

smile

Llanelli is the town near Swansea, but there is also a village called Llanelly, near Abergavenny in Monmouthshire.

Abergavenny was landlocked last time I was there smile I think Llanelly might also be the English spelling of Llanelli but no one uses it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)