What Happened to my Polls on the Niche Sites?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 3 years ago

All my articles that have polls in their original Author Views have lost their polls on the niche sites. This is most unfortunate, especially when subsequent text content refers to such missing polls. Is anyone else experiencing this?

1. samanthacubbison profile image83
      samanthacubbisonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sue,

Based on your location, you should:

https://hubstatic.com/15280582_f1024.jpg

https://hubstatic.com/15280583.png

Since our audience is global, not all readers will come across these issues.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
    Shesabutterflyposted 3 years ago

I have articles with polls on Delishably and Skyaboveus. Both appeared to be working.

Edit: I read one of your articles on Owlcation. In the article I read, I was able to see the poll and vote.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 3 years ago

This problem has been reported many weeks ago with discussions in other threads on the forum. Maven is aware of the problem with polls (and videos) being blocked in the EU. The only solution right now is to opt into allowing all media. Of course that only works if your readers opt in.

4. Sue Adams profile image96

Thank you Samantha but according to Glenn, if my readers haven't changed their privacy settings, they still can't see the polls which cuts out all European readers and that is not acceptable. Do I have to do this for every niche site my articles are featured in?

I have changed the settings on all sites but still no polls to be found. Does it take time for the change to take effect?

This was only experienced by users (primarily authors, since they are returning users) who set their consent profiles during a ~2 week window in which the problem first arose. They should have already been repromoted after we released an update to visit the consent choices. If they overlooked it or selected something different, go through the steps above.

If you have reset the privacy settings for one site and if the others look okay; if not, you can follow the same procedure for the other Network Sites. All new users and those who did not visit our sites within the period of time in which the issue arose should not experience this problem, nor should any new visitors experience this problem if they Accept All in the Privacy Settings.

Sue Adamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

OK, so I have changed all the Privacy Settings on all the sites to "Accept All" but still cannot see the polls. Am I understanding correctly that I, the author, am the only one who cannot see my polls on my articles? That's weird!

What browser are you using? Any ad blockers?

I am using Chrome with Ad blocker rurned off.

Could you post that page here or email it to us?

https://youmemindbody.com/disease-illne … stiff-neck
                is one of the articles where the poll is missing. But there are many more.
                https://hubstatic.com/15280643.png
                Followed by text:
                The above survey shows that 60% of the population have a chronic stiff neck (over-curvature) while only 1% never have any neck trouble at all. Help! What must we do?

1. tsmog profile image85
                  tsmogposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I can see the poll, but I am in the US. I am on a Kindle Fire tablet.

Thank you Tim, it's nice that you can see the poll but other writers based in Europe and elsewhere outside the U.S. should check if their polls are missing on the Niche sites.

2. samanthacubbison profile image83

Ok, thanks. We can see the issue and engineering is diving into it.

Thank you, Samantha. I hope they realize from Lobobrandon's post (https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … ost4163103) that this is a general issue and not just me with a single article.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
                    lobobrandonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for passing the message, Samantha.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
                    Glenn Stokposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Samantha, On Oct 29th I sent an email to Tessa saying that it appears Maven includes tracking code for those capsules that is different from tracking on the HubPages platform. Maven's tracking code seems to trigger privacy issues in the EU. She passed that on to engineering, so they already know.

Even though I'm in the USA, I tested this with the Avast browser, which has Anti-Tracking. With the Anti-Tracking enabled, the Polls, YouTube videos, and the Amazon capsules were hidden. When I turned that off, all those capsules appeared. I thought that might help determine how the EU blocks these capsules.

2. lobobrandon profile image89

I cannot see the poll on my watering tomatoes hub either. I just re-accepted everything (they were already all accepted). I cleared cache, I turned off ad-block and ghostery, I cleared cache again. Did a hard refresh a few times, nada.

I never looked for polls before. I'm in the EU btw.

Tested on Chrome, the latest version and also on Edge and don't see them on either browser. I do not use Edge and have no ad blockers of any kind installed there.

At last, a co-victim smile  So this definitely IS a problem.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

Sue, to put your mind at ease (a little), I can see your poll and I just voted on it too. I am in the US. The problem is only with readers in the EU as I mentioned earlier. By the way, great article. Very useful!

Thank you Glenn, but there are a lot of Europeans and maybe other areas in the world (?) who are missing out on the poll feature which, for years, we were encouraged to use.

Yes indeed. That’s why I added the words “a little” in my comment. I realize that doesn’t put your mind at ease a whole lot.

While on the subject, I find it strange that the EU privacy guidelines only affect Maven and not HubPages. I would think that might be a clue as to what needs to be fixed in the code to eliminate this problem. Samantha, if you’re reading this, what do you think?

2. samanthacubbison profile image83

So the issue for those in the EU is GDPR compliance. This is because we are pointing back to HubPages code and they run as third-party embeds. We need to build out further support for these features.

There must be a good number of EU writers on HubPages who use Polls in their articles but probably haven't yet noticed them missing on Niche sites. Do you roughly know when we can expect the issue to be fixed?

I don't, but I know it is in the works. Luckily, as I said earlier, it wasn't experienced by a large majority:

"This was only experienced by users (primarily authors, since they are returning users) who set their consent profiles during a ~2 week window in which the problem first arose. They should have already been repromoted after we released an update to visit the consent choices. If they overlooked it or selected something different, go through the steps above.

If you have reset the privacy settings for one site and if the others look okay; if not, you can follow the same procedure for the other Network Sites. All new users and those who did not visit our sites within the period of time in which the issue arose should not experience this problem, nor should any new visitors experience this problem if they Accept All in the Privacy Settings."

1. lobobrandon profile image89

Just to clarify, both SueAdams and I have changed the privacy settings and we still do not see the polls. It is not only authors who have not accepted all the options. Your earlier reply https://hubpages.com/community/forum/35 … ost4163230 seems to cater to the issue at hand, but this final comment does not cater to this discussion unless I am missing something.

5. Gloriousconfusion profile image92
    Gloriousconfusionposted 3 years ago

My Polls aren't showing on Delishably, but do on Hubpages.  e.g. Chicken or Turkey Patties Using Thanksgiving Dinner Leftovers--Quick Easy Recipe

https://delishably.com/meat-dishes/chic … asy-recipe

So as what I hope is only a temporary measure, I have now hidden it on HubPages, in order to hide it on Delishably.  Very weird - I do hope they can fix this in an appropriate way. I'm in London.

6. Sue Adams profile image96

Plus, I only discovered the problem because when checking a recently edited article there was a text capsule that didn't make sense because it was discussing the results of a non-existent poll. A missing poll all on its own is not easily spotted on niche sites. You have to compare the original (author's view) with the niche view to check. And how many writers remember which articles had polls in their original form? That may be why not many European writers have reported the issue. That doesn't mean there is no issue. If you can't fix it, just tell us and we'll remove the polls altogether.

b.t.w. Polls are also missing from Discover HubPages

Sue, you can find all your hubs that use polls by filtering for Poll Capsules on your stats page.

Oh, thanks Glenn, that's useful to know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)