A Rule for Editors - If it Ain't Broken, Don't Fix It

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 2 years ago

I've had several articles meddled with, even though they had a large amount of traffic. I can't keep track of what all the changes were and I don't know whether the plummeting traffic was due to their modifications, such as changing titles. However, I think if traffic is high for an article, it should be left well enough alone. Don't get me wrong, in general editors do a good job, fixing typos and correcting grammar. However changing structure and completely rewording passages doesn't make sense, unless they have some inside knowledge of how it could improve traffic beyond what it already is.

1. janshares profile image92
      jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I tend to agree. I haven't had traffic change drastically due to edits in a while, I don't think. But I do wonder why changes are made so often, especially if there's nothing really wrong. It passes QAP every time they've changed it so why? hmm I wish they would go ahead and edit (rewrite if you want to) the articles they keep turning down for niche sites, lol! I don't have time. lol

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree Jan. Why don't they edit the ones that just need a little help to make the niche sites, rather than our top performing ones? That would make more sense to me.

1. MizBejabbers profile image86
          MizBejabbersposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I agree. My top performing article is the one on my underground house, and they keep tinkering with it. My house is unusual in that it has rock steps and then a wooden staircase leading down the hill from the driveway into the atrium, which is the way to the front door. They didn't like the measurement or dimensions that I used, so they used their own. This moved the steps and stairs to behind the deck at the back of the house. I put it back the way it was and explained why. Now they've tinkered again and described it in such a way that my steps are the same width as my driveway. No, they are only 3 ft. wide. lol
          Since I am an editor myself, it makes me furious. I like a few of the things that they've done with a couple of my articles though. They removed a ridiculous video that I used on one of my articles. I thanked them for doing that. They explained that they've rethought some of their requirements and made some changes to them. That's good, but it still doesn't explain why they keep foolin' around with my steps and staircase, which proves they know nothing about underground houses.

2. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I believe the "problem" that the editors are trying to address is that Google favors articles that were either published or edited during the current year.  Ideally, you should be making small changes to your articles every year so that they show as "edited" for that year.

I know that it's a huge project.  I have over 300 articles that I work on every year to keep the edited date current.  It takes me at least 3 months if I do a few each day.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
        bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

That makes sense, Caren. I should put that on my to-do list.

2. Shesabutterfly profile image94
        Shesabutterflyposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that is true at all. Up until late last year all of my top articles had not been updated since 2018 and they rank on the first page and some even hold the snippet. I have one article that I still have not updated since 2018 and one from 2020. The rest were all done in Sept of 2021 (in regards to my highest performers) and I did the very minor grammar updates myself.

In my experience Hp only touches the ones on certain sites. My top performing ones are on Owlcation and Letterpile and I'm hoping they don't get touched.

The most recent ones they went through were on wehavekids (first time ever) and they clearly did not know the terminology because they made me sound like an idiot when it was all said and done. I really wish the editors would stick to spelling/grammar/punctuation ect. rather than trying to reword and add content they know nothing about.

Like Eugene said, if it is not broken, stop trying to fix it.

1. OldRoses profile image93
          OldRosesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The editors have been through Dengarden at least twice that I am aware of.  And the reason I gave above is the reason they gave Dengarden authors when they did their first sweep a few years ago.  Their second sweep was last year.  But I had already updated my articles for 2021 before they started.

2. ReViewMeMedia profile image86
    ReViewMeMediaposted 2 years ago

I always keep the original copy of my article so if I want to change it back, I can.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)