Do you use article directories to get backlinks?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image57
    Siew Chengposted 14 years ago

Do you use article directories to get backlinks to your hubs?  If so, which article directories do you use?

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes. Hundreds of them smile

1. Green Lotus profile image61
        Green Lotusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What is the definition of an Article Directory? Is it like Stumbleupon or Digg? If so, I use them and they bring in more traffic.

1. Misha profile image64

No. Ezinearticles is article directory. smile

I bet you have a good Hub on article directories, right Misha?

1. Misha profile image64

Not yet, I am working on it though smile

1. profile image57
                Siew Chengposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hundreds of them? that means you are using the article submission service.  Hope you get the hub out soon!

2. skyfire profile image80
          skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes using them brings more traffic. Article directories are close-content directories, with close i mean there is not community model around those directories. Hubpages have community model (score and other things). Article directories generate more traffic for some keywords.

Stumbleupon and Digg are social networking sites,not article directories.

Thanks! I have a personal blog, and a few Lenses on Squidoo I use mainly for backlinks. I'll have to check out Ezine and Article Base. Thanks everyone. Now all I need is another 12 hours in a day big_smile

1. profile image57

Most article directories require only 250 words.  You might as well rewrite your hubs and post there, link back to your blog or hubpage.
              Check out goarticles and articledashboard too

1. Anolinde profile image81
                Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi.  I have a question about ezinearticles I hope you help me with.  When you sign up with them, they ask for your web URL.  Do you put hubpages.com as your web URL or should you get a blog/website first and use that instead?  Hope you see this and can help me.  Thanks!! smile

1. rb77 profile image69
                  rb77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Put the url you want people to visit. Once you open your profile there are spots for a few more urls, twitter acct. and a few other things.

The other thing is once you submit and get a certain amount (I forgot the exact number 10, 25?)of articles published, then you can apply for platinum status. This means quicker approval and unlimited submissions.

You can also set up alias profiles. This is good for sorting out your different topics. Lets say A.Smith is one profile, you can have your urls for Gardening and write gardening related articles using A.Smith. Then you create a profile for AB.Smith, this could be for Shopping topic and so on. All the aliases will be connected to the first profile you set up.

2. Isabelle22 profile image60
        Isabelle22posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hundreds wow.

2. Has_aWayWithWords profile image64
      Has_aWayWithWordsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have used Associated Content and Article Base but I have found better success promoting myself in popular blogs related to my content. I wrote a hub about using blogs to gain traffic you can find it from my profile page

2. DanPowers profile image48
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I haven't used them, but does anyone know sites that you can submit your hubs to, rather than the entire article?

1. profile image57

That's what article directories are for.  You can rewrite into 250 words content, and link back to your hubs.

3. profile image0
    shinujohn2008posted 14 years ago

i have not user article directories. If you have a business website that you want to promote , you can use article directories to get more customers.

4. Dale Nelson profile image39
    Dale Nelsonposted 14 years ago

Article directories like Ezine and article directory do get large numbers of readers due to their rank in google search. The idea is the same as writing a hub, so if you are writing just to be read I prefer hubpages.If you are wanting backlinks, provided that the article is similar in content to your hub and not a possible rewrite of the same info, then your backlinks are rewarded by the search engines and readers will want to read more if the content is relevant to your headings.

So yes to articles if backlinks are there to boost your hub in the search engine or to direct article readers to further information on the same topic.

5. marcofratelli profile image79
    marcofratelliposted 14 years ago

I haven't used them in ages, but it is certainly beneficial. Places like ezinearticles and articlesbase are good.

6. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Yes, putting hard work in to quality article directories, such as hubpages, is one of the only real ways to generate quality non organinc backlinks.

7. Dame Scribe profile image58
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Article *marketing* helps, yes tongue article directories are good for parking a link, yes also and both require work and time. big_smile

8. hiphopconsul profile image61
    hiphopconsulposted 14 years ago

I've had a lot of success submitting articles to Searchwarp.

1. profile image57

Searchwarp?!  I will look into it, thanks.

9. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I put some hub links up on reddit today and my stats have increased tenfold or more in just one day.

1. profile image0
      JeanMeriamposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what kind of hubs were these? I took a look at reddit and don’t quite see how mine would work there. Or do you think it matters what kind?

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I put up all my hubs that came under the heading of Science and they did best over there. If you look around the site you'll find different areas to post links - I had to search to find Gardening and put a lot up there but it was my Science hubs that did best. I'm sure if you look they'll have areas for everything - hit the search box from the main page.

2. Misha profile image64

Reddit traffic does not click on ads. smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

No I noticed but it gets my stuff read!

1. IzzyM profile image88

Google analytics showed me that the bounce rate on all the traffic I got from reddit was almost 100% so it was a short, damaging experience.
          I say damaging because if the bounce rate is that high, then google will see that my articles are not of interest.
          I'm trying not to feel down by the experience.

1. Misha profile image64

Don't worry about that too much, Google knows what Reddit is smile

10. quicksand profile image81
    quicksandposted 14 years ago

I used to forward my HubPages links to Digg, but did not see any rise in traffic.

1. Daddy Paul profile image64
      Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Digg is a complete waste of time. I have found Redgage is doing a lot more traffic as of late. Stumble can be good on certain topics. Stumble does well with my crappy Ehow articles but does poorly with the type I write for Hubpages.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I went to digg yesterday and posted a couple of hubs. I liked how easy it was. I put in the URL and they checked the site out and put in the summary text.
        The I looked around the site. It seems to be mostly news items from the big channels like cnn who surely aready get enough coverage?
        I put some more stuff up on redgage. At least the people reading there bothered to comment on my articles and wanted to befriend me!
        Shetoldme has never brought me any traffic but I put some more stuff there too, only because everyone here says they are worth it, but the jury is still out on that one.
        I'm still wondering if it is worth backlinking.
        I've just spent two whole days doing it, and my traffic has hardly moved.
        Xomba brings a little traffic but nothing since I uploaded more links.
        Is there a site out there that could bring genuine traffic?
        Or maybe it's my hubs??

1. Misha profile image64

1. Google, Yahoo, Bing
          2. Your hubs are excellent smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

Thanks for that Misha!!
            I already get google and yahoo traffic, but bing? Who are they?

1. Misha profile image64

Bing is a search engine run by Microsoft, the third biggest after G and Y. smile

But they just got approved on their deal with Yahoo, so likely by the end of the year we'll see some serious changes on the SE landscape. smile

11. Arthur Fontes profile image74
    Arthur Fontesposted 14 years ago

I have noticed that google likes Xomba i see front page results yet I receive pretty much zero traffic.

12. profile image57
    consolegamerposted 14 years ago

I have done, but I'm pretty sure Google sees these links as low quality. Ok if you're in a small niche, but if you're in a sector like loans and gambling, they're not worth bothering with.

13. Kidgas profile image63
    Kidgasposted 14 years ago

I really haven't used article directories.  My feeling is that if I want to spend the time writing, why not do it for a site that at least shares the AdSense.  I could be way off base, but I don't have a product that I am trying to market except information.

1. IzzyM profile image88

I'm not that bothered about getting paid for links, but backlinking is really all about gaining traffic, not for getting paid.
      The more traffic, the more you get anyway from google, even if no-one clicks on an advert.
      Then with the extra traffic, your site climbs higher and has more chance of getting found by searchers, who may click on an ad.
      I think thats the way it works anyway, if I'm wrong, someone will be along to correct me.

1. Misha profile image64

Izzy, backlinking could be about gaining traffic of course, but it is more efficient to use it  to better your position with search engines. I personally don't bother with both getting paid and getting side traffic, I do backlinks solely for improving my rankings smile

And, I think you have some misconceptions about how traffic affects your position in search engines, to the best of my knowledge there is no direct relationship. smile

1. IzzyM profile image88

Thanks for that piece of info. I am still learning!

2. Greg Cremia profile image60
          Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

traffic is one of the pieces of the algorithm. at least they hold a patent on it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)