Is myfreecopyright.com a clean domain for multiple links?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. MyWebs profile image78
    MyWebsposted 14 years ago

Ok here we go again...

Is it safe for me to link to myfreecopyright.com on all of my hubs? I sure hope so since I already have in the interest of protecting my copyrights.

If myfreecopyright.com is not in the safe list can it be added?

Can we get a published list of safe domains that we can safely use without having to keep asking in the forums?

Thank You,
    MyWebs

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Here's how I look at my outgoing links to make sure I'm not violating the linking rules.

Non-profit sites, such as Wikipedia, are what is safe.  You can't have any commercial interest in linking to them, as they do not earn money based on page-view-related ads/clicks or product sales.

Sites for profit, i.e. sites that run any advertising (esp Google ads) or which sell anything, are considered "commercial" and thus the two link rule comes into effect.

3. MyWebs profile image78

But I am linking to this web site on every hub. If its not in the whitelist I would get a penalty from what I understand.

I believe the 2 link rule is per hub. But there is also a penalty if you link to something too many times in more than one hub.

Or am I missing something here?

This site does have AdSense on it. I have no commercial interest in it. But it is in all of our best interest to use this web sites services.

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Copyright works without using the services of any special websites, and HubPages has a feature that let's you know if Hubs have been copied elsewhere, so it's only in that site's interest that we use their services, not our own.

MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Of course copyright works without any other web sites help. Effectively enforcing it is another matter. When it comes to proving you published something first this could be invaluable in my opinion.

Actually I believe it is in my own best interest as it proves the exact time and date something was published and it takes a digital fingerprint of the file that is stored on their server.   It is creating a "Hash" of your hub if you wish to use the proper technical term. non-repudiation is a term they use there.

Having an independent 3rd party backing you up sure couldn't hurt and probably could help in some cases. Some could say HP is biased if they was to take your side. They stand to make money based upon our content.

I think thisisoli might agree this is a good thing after I read his post here : http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/36778#post832909 but of course I can't speak for him.

I do not see HP offering us all of these protections. I don't mean to sound like HP is bad or anything, but its really not setup from what I see to offer as many protections either.

And if having that link stops 1 in 5 from stealing thats less wasted time on my part. I've spent hours this week fighting with a wordpress.com blog this week. The time can really add up.

4. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

I think the two link rule is per hub, and I've never heard of a whitelist.

5. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Why do you have to link to their website to protect your copyright?

MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I do not have to. But by having the link there it shows a person that it really is protected. Hopefully it would make a person think twice before stealing my content.

1. Greg Cremia profile image60
        Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Please follow up with a post about this in the future as to whether it cuts back on the amount of content theft.

I am curious if it works. It sure would save a lot of wasted time not having to chase these people down but i am reluctant to link.

Links have gotten a lot of sites/pages on the bad list of the search engines.

6. MyWebs profile image78

Darkside's hub speaks a bit about this issue:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Hubscore#mod_825369

The HP FAQ
    http://hubpages.com/faq/#overly_promotional

it says: "Links to well-known Web resources which you don't have any personal interest in (like Wikipedia, news sites, encyclopedias, open directories, etc.) are exempt from this limitation."

Well-known resources is a bit vague and by using the word "Exempt" this tells me there is a whitelist to automate the process.

7. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

An unresolved issue is still here on HP.  Other sites that have black and white lists are quite clear about the reasons for the lists and the reasons sites appear on those lists.  DemandStudios is one of those sites.

HP needs to bring some clarity to which sites engender a penalty for multi-linking, and which sites don't.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image73
      Maddie Ruudposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's impractical, I'm afraid, as the lists would both be incredibly long, and constantly changing.

As far as myfreecopyright.com, I personally think it's useless.  Copyright applies as soon as you've published something, without you having to "register" anywhere, and this site doesn't actually officially register your copyright with the US Copyright office, so it seems pointless to me.

It is very clever, however, in that it ensures a large number of links back to the site by offering people a feeling of false security for embedding a badge or banner.

8. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

I understand what you say, Maddie. In the absence of being able to develop white/black lists about specific sites, perhaps more clarification about what defines those  white/black categories ought to be incorporated into HP Help.

That's a good suggestion, Sally.  In the meantime, I hope this helps:

-Links to well-known "authority" sites are not penalized.
      -If you have a vested interest in the site, limit yourself to two links maximum per hub.
      -All links should be relevant to the content of the hub.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's good info, Maddie, but please define "vested interest" and "well known authority" in upcoming HP Help.

For example, if you participate in shetoldme.com, it could be said that you have a vested interest because your entries are monetized through AdSense. However, you do not own that site, so you are not a partner, yet you do receive some kind of compensation.

This is the "devil in the detail" that needs to be explained so that those of us who write here are not second-guessing HP rules.

2. BristolBoy profile image62
        BristolBoyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Linked is there a person who we should contact with regards to this if our hub is being flagged for linking too much to a site, despite us believing that it is relevant to the hub and we don't have any financial interest in the links.  I only ask because in the past I had a warning when creating a hub due to excess links.  However these excess links were to a website run by one of the major UK news organisations (probably within the top 5 news websites in the UK).

Sure, you can contact us and we'll take a look.

9. MyWebs profile image78

So by linking to the mentioned site from all of my hubs I will get penalized, right? How will I know when this happens? How big is this penalty, because I'm thinking I'm going to leave the links after spending a long time adding them? It does suck since I got my first hub that looks like it may get a high 90's score soon.

I do disagree about this one, but then you probably have not spent hours and hours this week in a copyright fight like I have either.

1. mausmi profile image69
      mausmiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Since you aren't linking to that site more than twice per Hub, you are not getting penalized.  If you put more than 2 links to myfreecopyright.com on your Hubs, a Warning in gold will appear at the top of your Hub and the Hub may then be unpublished.

10. skyfire profile image77
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

@Mywebs, using feed address to get fingerprint is better option as we can get fingerprint for when content is created and that way we can use it as protection as site explains. I don't think there is any need for banner on article or site.

Check plagiarismtoday site, they explained about mfc in their blog post.

By the way,if you use wordpress then try "wp-protect" plugin to stop people from copying your site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)