I had to put my cat 'to sleep' yesterday...

Jump to Last Post 1-37 of 37 discussions (42 posts)
  1. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 14 years ago

Some of you may remember the tale of Rocky, my 15 year old, 3 legged feline.  Well, he had a massive stroke yesterday right after I published my latest hub.  It was very weird.  It's almost as if he was waiting for me to be done.
    He was such a awesome cat.  My son and I buried him out in the desert where there's a pet cemetery.  There are countless memorials out there, which proves to me that people really adore their creatures.
    Anyway, I just thought I'd ask if anyone else has had to resort to euthanasia.  I just knew it was time, and it seemed the most humane way for him to die.

1. seanorjohn profile image71
      seanorjohnposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You did the right thing. It would have been awful to watch rocky suffer. It took me a long time to get over the death of my first cat and he was only with me one year. You must have built up such strong memories in those 15 years. This can be a comfort to you in time.

2. ChristinaScibona profile image71
      ChristinaScibonaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am so sorry to hear about your cat...we have had to do this and it is never easy bit it is the right thing to do.  My thoughts are with you smile

2. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

lorlie I am sorry to hear of your loss my heart goes out to you, (((((Big Hugs))))

3. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I am so sorry lorlie *HUGS* You knew it was right and he knew it was right. He is no longer suffering and I am sure thanks you for that. Now you have a new guardian angel.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Oh, Laurel, I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. Rest assured that you did the right thing. I've had to do it, and it's never easy, but keeping a suffering pet alive for our own feelings is selfish. I'll be thinking of you, my friend.

5. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I'm saddened by your loss. sad

6. lorlie6 profile image73

Thanks, everyone for your words-it is just so strange without him in the house any longer...I guess it's a matter of adjustment.

7. profile image0
    wordscribe41posted 14 years ago

Oh, lorlie... I'm so sorry for you.  I know how hard it is losing a pet.  The timing is interesting, huh?  Sometimes they just "know" huh?  I hope you and your family are alright.  You're in my thoughts...

8. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

Sorry to hear about Rocky.  We've never had to euthanize one, but have lost some to accidents and predators.  It's never an easy time.

9. flread45 profile image60
    flread45posted 14 years ago

That's real hard to do,as it takes time for one to heal after loosing a family pet.

10. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

We did the same for our dog Cooter. The thought of his suffering was too much to bear.

So sorry hun. Poor Rocky. He was clearly loved.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-hug005.gif

11. lorlie6 profile image73

Yep, he was loved, and the karma here is amazing...I didn't know if I even wanted to post about it, but you folks are incredibly kind.
    I don't have any idea if love is actually possible over the Internet, but I feel alot for you Hubfriends.
    Thanks again.

12. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 14 years ago

I so sorry. It hurts terribly when they leave us.

Yes, I took the decision to put my first cat, Licky, to sleep. All of a sudden she stopped eating, although she wailed when she saw the food bowl. On her last full day, I had a bad cold and stayed off from work. She spent the day very close to me. The next day we took her to the vet, who told us that they could do very many tests, maybe keep her alive for another few weeks. I felt I did not have the right to prolong her life for what would probably be a painful few weeks just for my sake. I stroked her and held her paw as the injection was given. It was the first time the little madam had allowed me to hold her paw without getting mad at me and drawing blood. 

That was 12 years ago, yet I'm crying as I write this.

1. Dale Mazurek profile image62
      Dale Mazurekposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Losing a pet is horrible.

Only those with pets can know.  Many people without pets just say it was only a dog or a cat.

My dog gave me 12 of the greatest years with him.  He died last May and I still think of him everyday.

I will be thinking of you today.

We have 3 cats and in all honesty I cant even imagine how my wife will react if something were to happen to any of them.  I love the cats but they are her life.

Dale

2. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The memories will always be there, and so unique to each animal.  For Rocky, it is that he was a fighter-lost his leg 12 years ago to a car, then got lost not long ago for 2 1/2 weeks.  He used up many lives and lived 15, so he had a great life with us.  He also was the toughest animal in the house-used to beat up on the dogs constantly! smile

13. Black Lilly profile image61
    Black Lillyposted 14 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear that...  guess putting down a pet feels like killing your family member..
    But it's the only right thing to do to prevent pointless suffering. The only right thing to do when you think of him, from his perspective.
    Be strong, Lorlie. Time heals.

14. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm so sorry...

15. Zsuzsy Bee profile image85
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 14 years ago

Oh Lorelie so sorry to hear that.

16. Ann Nonymous profile image60
    Ann Nonymousposted 14 years ago

Awwww so sorry to hear you had to lose your pet, Lorlie....

1. lorlie6 profile image73
      lorlie6posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks everyone.  More than you know.

17. profile image0
    pinkyleeposted 14 years ago

http://www.jucoolimages.com/images/hugs/hugs_16.gif

lorlie i am so sorry for your loss... i know how hard it is but you did the thing. i know if i had of know my pipqueak was sick i would have had her put down to ease her pain.

again im sorry for your loss

18. profile image0
    Lecieposted 14 years ago

i had a cat a couple years ago named pretty kitty. she was the greatest cat i've ever known. i saw her running the city streets as a stray. i had to take her in. when i took her to the vet i found out that she was suffering from hyper active thyroid. i paid $55 a month just for her medicine. she was worth it. i was told she would live to at least 14 with the medicine. well by age 10 she was showing signs of other illness.
    she was acting like she couldn't see half the time. she even started peeing outside her litter box. she would wonder around the apartment crying for me like she forgot where i was. the vet told me all of the testing was going to cost over $1000 just to find what was wrong with her. then there was no telling how much treatment would cost or even if she was treatable.
    i didn't have that amount of money. i had to make a terrible decision. i had her euthanized. of course i didn't want my sweet girl to die alone. i went in and watched her take her last breath. i then had her crematted because i couldn't stand the thought of her not being near by. it was the hardest thing i ever had to go through and i still miss her terribly. i know how you're feeling. my heart is with you right now.
    i'm just gratful that i decided to give a home to another cat that needed one. lilly has been a great friend and helped me through some tough times these last couple of years. just remember that there are plenty other animals that need our love right now. just as we need theirs. good luck and god bless.

19. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Laurel, I'm so sorry for your loss but your baby is in a better place now. I love what you did and it seems that the desert spot was just the right one. Blessed be.

20. Faybe Bay profile image63
    Faybe Bayposted 14 years ago

I have had to do it twice, it is hard. My brother too, and sisters. Pets are like children, and we love them like family. I am sorry for your loss. No words can say. My friend believes that animals are gifts to teach us unconditional love, that it is with that love we know when to let them go. It is the ultimate sacrifice, knowing when and doing that which is the hardest to do. In that way, Rocky has been here to teach you. I don't know if that makes sense, please delete if I overstep my bounds. It is just that it helped me to accept my losses.

21. lorlie6 profile image73

You are so right, Faybe-I knew when it was necessary, and said my goodbyes.  I would never delete something so personally meaningful and considerate.  I have honestly never thought of death that way, but I'm definitely going to re-read your post.
    Lecie-I'm so sorry for your loss.  God, it is so difficult because they can't communicate with us. 
    And everyone else, bless you!

22. profile image0
    renoelleposted 14 years ago

I had to let my sweet kitty og last fall. Very hard but best for her. Hugs, lorlie sad

23. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 14 years ago

I lost my dog Charlie in December, and i posted it in these forums the replies i recieved really helped myself and my family through it.
    Lorlie my thoughts are with you and I will be thinking about you today.
    take care.....jimmy

24. samboiam profile image61
    samboiamposted 14 years ago

lorlie6, I am so sorry to hear about Rocky. It always hurts when we lose a pet that has been part of the family for so long.

http://www.jucoolimages.com/images/hugs/hugs_17.gif

25. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 14 years ago

I once had to put my little Chihuahua "Braveheart" to sleep after he got run over. He had one of his eyes hanging out. It broke my heart and I still get a tear as I think of him. So sorry to hear of Rocky who is now resting in peace.

http://www.iwannapet.com/chihuahua.jpg

26. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

My parents had to have their dog euthanized two years ago. She was a sweet dog, but she had cancer and she was suffering. The treatment was expensive, and due to her age, only had a 30% chance of helping her. There was a 70% chance that the treatment itself would be what killed her. They had Sadie Rae for 12 years. She wandered up to the house one day after a tornado. She had cigarette burns on her forehead and she was afraid to let anyone pet her. We could tell she had been abused, but she became comfortable with us and was probably the most well-behaved dog we ever had, even brought my father his shoes in the morning. She was a source of comfort many times for me when I was released from the institution as well.

Around the same time, my cat had to be euthanized. Jasper had a disease that was eating away his stomach. He was only a few months old and the vet told me that, even if the treatment were successful, he would still live a very painful and short life. I didn't want that for him so I decided euthanization was the only option. I went in and held him while he was injected. It was probably the saddest day of my life as tears streamed down both our faces, but he was calm and I know that his spirit is no longer in pain.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. It's hard losing a pet. They feel like part of the family, a friend, a comfort, a confidante. But it was the best thing you could have done for him and his spirit is in a better place now. Blessed be.

27. Sally's Trove profile image78
    Sally's Troveposted 14 years ago

You did the right thing for Rocky. I admire your strength that let you follow your knowledge of the situation to the right place. It's a difficult decision to make, and some of us postpone it for too long.

Rocky is waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge...

http://www.rainbowbridge.com/Poem.htm

28. west40 profile image58
    west40posted 14 years ago

I'm so sorry - I know how terrible and heart breaking it is to lose an animal.  You did the right thing.

I will have to make that decision shortly for my dog.  She has two different types of cancers and was diagnosed with the first cancer 5 months ago - she is starting to decline and I'm afraid it won't be too much longer - quality of life for ailing pets is so important so there will be no suffering for her.

29. Betty Reid profile image60
    Betty Reidposted 14 years ago

Hi Lorlie.  I'm sorry to hear about Rocky.  I think it's good that you had him put to sleep.  On more than one occasion, my mom had a sick cat and just hoped he would get better instead of putting him to sleep.  It was very sad to me, because the cat suffered more than was necessary.  And in one case, the sick cat went away somewhere to die, so my mom didn't even get to bury it.  My condolences for your loss.

30. rmcrayne profile image90
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

So very sorry for your loss Laurel.  I went through this with Miss Mocha Bean, my Boykin Spaniel, and the doggie love of my life.  She was 15 1/2.  We were on vacation, so I was scrambling with the phone book. We found a place on the main road less than 10 miles from the resort.  The staff couldn't have been nicer.  The crematorium picked up and delivered.  I had already decided on cremation as I still had at least one more military move, and wanted her always to be with me.

31. ThePartyAnimal profile image61
    ThePartyAnimalposted 14 years ago

I had to put my cat Bugsy down in January - I had him for 15 years and he was the oldest of my other 8 pets. He developed a mouth cancer which was horrible. It came to the point where we knew it was time - it is just weird, but you do know. It was the hardest thing I have done in a very long time and I miss him everyday.
    I had him cremated and his ashes will be mixed with mine when I pass as will all my pets - I know call it strange, but they are a part of me.
    I am sorry for your loss and all the others here who have shared theirs - it is the hardest part of owning a pet.
    I just know my Bugsy had a great life and was spoiled rotten during his time here.

32. IntimatEvolution profile image68
    IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years ago

Lots of OOOOOO's.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

33. profile image0
    Will Bensonposted 14 years ago

lorlie - I too am sorry to hear about your Rocky. Putting a pet down is always hard but I comfort myself by knowing that, in a very real way, I relieved the animal's suffering by being willing to take on suffering (grief) myself.
    In due time, you'll think back at his antics and laugh. The memories last forever.
    All my best to you.

34. Beth100 profile image69
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear that you had to go through this with Rocky.  I've had to do this with my several of my dogs in the past, and it is never an easy task.  The comfort I took was in the look in their eyes when the pain eased away and they drifted off to sleep.  As for memories, I keep the good ones that we shared.  ((HUGS))

35. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

wow, im terribly sorry to hear about your loss. to be honest, i'll probably be going through the same thing pretty soon, as my dog is like 18 years old now. he's losing his sight and his ability to walk like he used to.  however, he still acts like a puppy though.  it breaks my heart sometimes thinking about how i know he won't be around much longer.  sad anyway, i hope that you'll be okay, and sorry again for your loss.

36. Glenn S. profile image60
    Glenn S.posted 14 years ago

I am very sorry to hear this. I know how hard this can be. Be strong and know that you did the right thing. It's not right to let an animal or your loved pet suffer. it's now in a better place where ever that might be.

37. lorlie6 profile image73

It seems many of us have had to deal with this-or are anticipating it in the future.  Dang, the more you love, the more you lose.  But they are soooo incredibly worth it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)