Share A Smile

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (31 posts)
  1. raisingme profile image76
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

With my youngest child having recently moved away from home I find myself with a newly emptied nest and a mind that is wandering back rather than forward.

One of the memories that popped up in the theatre (Canadian spelling)of my mind this morning is one particular time when we were watching television as a family - it was an American channel. An ad came on and the word Honor flashed on the screen.  My son comment, "I didn't know that the American's spelled honour differently."  "Yes, my seven year old daughter proclaimed, you are right, they spell it with an 'H'."

If that brought you a little smile, please share a smile with one of your smiley memories. big_smile  We can smile across the miles. big_smile

2. DevLin profile image61
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

The ones that truly stick out in my mind, may because of the lack of sleep. Losing 2 daughters. At 2, one disappears, and is found asleep in a drawer. The other at 11, in her damn toybox. Funny as could be that they could fit, depressing as hell, they could sleep anywhere.

raisingmeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That made me more than smile - that made me laugh outright!

3. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

made me laugh too, empty nest syndrome, i hated that, took a long time to adjust, but i think i have managed it now.

4. DevLin profile image61
    DevLinposted 13 years ago

What I enjoy now, is hearing from the girls about their own kids doing the same to them. Odd, those threats of sending them to me are picking up.

5. archdaw profile image61
    archdawposted 13 years ago

My 7 year old daughter recently asked me for some old credit cards to put in her new wallet, so I had some old Macy's gift cards and gave them to her.  She imediately asked me if there was any money on it and I said No.  She said "I'll be back.  She came back in about seven minutes with two pennys on top of the Macy's Credit Card and said, "Here now there is money on it, go get me a dress from Macy's."

That's funny!  My youngest too at 7 years old insisted she needed a wallet and some credit cards - she is almost 20 and still has that tattered wallet along with some pretend "credit cards".  Thankfully she still doesn't have a real one! big_smile

6. profile image0
    Wendi Mposted 13 years ago

When my daughter lost her first tooth (she's 25 now) she was holding it in a paperbag while riding home on the school bus.  A "not so nice" little boy ripped the bag out of her hands and threw it out the bus window.

She was almost inconsolable when she got home.  After a bit, I was able to calm her down enough by explaining that we could simply put a penny under her pillow (for the Tooth Fairy) instead of her actual tooth.  I convinced her that the "Tooth Fairy" wouldn't mind.

After tucking her into the bed that night I heard some movement and a lot of jingling coming from the back of the house...only to find my crafty daughter dumping the entire contents of her piggy bank under her pillow.

Gotta love em!!!

7. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

I recently switched cars with my husband and he gave me his, a Mazda 6, and the car payment along with it.  I've been proud as punch over the car, acting just like a teenager. I picked up my grandson this evening to come for his "weekend with Nonny".  He climbed in his car seat and was reaching for the headliner on the interior of the back seat, pulling on it, where it's coming loose.  I looked into the rear view mirrow, saw what he was doing and said,
       "Kason! Don't pull on that!  You'll tear up Nonny's new car...!" 
        He calmly replied,"Nonny, this is not your car....it's Mike's. You're going to jail!"

Wonder if there's a moral to this story. Hope it makes you smile.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have one of those lawyer types too! Very funny! smile
      Kids are piceless! lol

2. travelespresso profile image68
      travelespressoposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Too funny - that made me laugh!  Thanks

3. raisingme profile image76

That was funny, it reminded me of my niece.  My brother's home is on the side of a hill.  Upon arriving home from work one day He parked his car in the driveway, putting on the emergency brake as he always did and went inside for dinner.  He looked up from his meal and out of the kitchen window and saw that his car was planted into a neighbor's motor home part way down the hill.  He rushed outside to handle the matter, exchanging information with the neighbor for insurance, taking pictures - yes his emergency brake was on and removing his vehicle from the side of the motor home.  He barely made it through the front door when my then three year old niece grabbed him around the wrist and said "Daddy, you are under a dress!

8. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

At the front door.3 year old twin number 2 "Hello granpa what are YOU doing here AGAIN?" (exasperated look)

me "I came here to see you Asha and Angus" (aka superspiderman)

twin 2
    "Well granpa Asha and I are big girls now, and we don't need a granpa so you can go home!" lol

1. donotfear profile image84
      donotfearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol That's a good one!!!

2. susanlang profile image58
      susanlangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol ahhh..what a fire cracker!

9. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

"Hey Nonny, this isn't your car, it's Mike's.....now you're goin' to jail!!"

Kason, tonight.....(Hey Earnest, youlike my new hat I'm wearing on a cattle drive next week?  Does it look like a bush hat?
    http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs564.snc3/30825_1388890477174_1079435779_31130427_1218445_n.jpg

Very cute little guy! Yes, the hat's close to a modern bush hat! lol

I think I just wanted an excuse to post a brag pic of my grandson!

2. susanlang profile image58
      susanlangposted 13 years agoin reply to this

such a cutie... and that look says it all (smiling)

10. susanlang profile image58
    susanlangposted 13 years ago

A few years back my niece wanted to know if she could barrow one of my dresses for the oldies day at her high school dance. I said sure come over and look see what you can find. After she went through about 2 boxes of old dresses she looked at me and said, "Auntie, I need old dresses not ones that have been mummfied from the tumb of king david!  lmao  sad wink

Heeee-Hah!!! lol

11. earnestshub profile image81

That's love for ya! smile Of course you are proud! smile He is a great looking boy. smile

12. earnestshub profile image81

lol lol lol under a dress! lol lol lol I love those little language slips. So funny! smile

My youngest came home from school one day in Grade Two and announced, "I learned a new word in school today."  I asked her what word she had learned.  "Titseye" she replied.  "Titseye?"  I asked.  "Yes" she said with a titch of disdain, "you know, titseye, the littlest billy goat Gruff.  I was loath to correct but I did.  It is amazing how many people don't get that one - but I know a writer will!

I wish I'd written them all down when they were small because some of them have faded from memory but the one's I do remember are precious!

My eldest thought there were two stages to life - one was either a child or a dult (some dults I've met I find the word to be rather fitting big_smile)

smile Great post! smile

13. archdaw profile image61

My daughter at age one and a half (now 20 and in college) made her first potty and we clapped and I said yeaah!  She clapped and got excited and said Yeaah too.  then I flushed the toilet and she started crying and I said, "Baby what's wrong?" and she said, "You flushed My Yeaah!"  Needless to say I never flushed the toilet while she was in hearing distance again.

This is triggering all sorts of memories...they'd all have a fit if they knew we were doing this but I have really enjoyed these posts today and I have smiled a lot today - 'tis a good thing!

14. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I recently overheard a male co-worker telling someone a cute story about his 3 year old.  He and his wife were expecting their second child and had arranged for grandma to keep the 3 yr old while the mom was delivering the baby, just until she got out of the hospital.  As they approached delivery day, the dad excitedly told the 3 yr old it was time to pack her suitcase and go stay with grandma because the baby was coming.  With big tears in her eyes, she looks up to him and says "but I want to live with ya'll too".    Awwwwwwwwwwww

Poor little thing - if this thread keeps going we'll all have the makings of a book! 

Thanks for contributing!

15. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I have a hub called "Split Second" that is a tribute to my son and it has 4-5 of the cute things he said.  I'll share one of them here....

When he was around 4-5 yrs old I had asked him to take some clothes hangers to the utility room and put them on the dryer.  When he came back by me I asked him if he had put them on the dryer like I told him to.  He replied, "yes, well, almost.  I put them on the wetter".   He could see my puzzled look.  "You know, the wetter....the one next to the dryer that wets the clothes".

16. archdaw profile image61

KCC Big country. I enjoyed that!  I can't stop smiling to myself.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)