repetitive strain injury

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (17 posts)
  1. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Hi Guys and Gals,
    Well all of that hubbing has finally caught up with me lol, wrist strapped up tightly and pain killers at the ready, yup R.S.I has got the better of me.
    Any tips on how to combat it and get back to my favorite passtime hubbing would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.....jimmy

1. embitca profile image84
      embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Ugh, that really sucks.

When I was having problems with it a few years ago, my workplace sent me for physical therapy. If you have insurance that would cover it, that is probably your best option.

They alternated between warm paraffin wax and icing. After removing the paraffin wax, they'd have me do a series of hand exercises that stretch the muscles, then we iced it all down. I'm sure you can find some hand exercises online. And since you probably don't have a paraffin bath at home, I'd recommend some warm towels, do the exercises and then ice it down.  I also wore a wrist wrap for several weeks that prevented me from doing the repetitive motions that caused the strain in the first place and for a little while I took very large doses of Motrin (800mg at a time).

Good luck and get better soon!

2. jimmythejock profile image84
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Thanks Embitica, I will try the hot and cold method sounds quite logical when you think about it lol, I was given a list of  hand exercises to do from my G.P. but they are hurting me lol, they say no pain = no gain, if this pain is anything to go by then I must be gaining heaps of benefit from it lol. thanks again Embitica take care.....jimmy

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 16 years ago

All the physical therapy and treatment strategies in the world will only do so much.  In the end, the only way you'll truly get relief is to change how much time you spend on the computer per day and the ergonomics that go with it.

A few years back, it wasn't just my wrists that were a mess, I was having a cascade of bodily aches and issues that were all connected to my computer use.  I changed my desk and chair as well as my mouse on the hardware end, and I added physical activity to my life away from the keyboard that brought back a fuller range of use and motion to my arms.  And as soon as something feels off or uncomfortable, I stop what I'm doing online and go take a break for a few hours. (not minutes)

That's what really stopped the aching, tingling and flare-ups of discomfort.  All the soaking, braces and painkillers were just masking the symptoms or providing really short-term fixes.  I got more relief from treating the problem and not just the side effects.

1. embitca profile image84
      embitcaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Quite right. Actually, this just reminded me that when it happened to me, in addition to all the other stuff that work had me do, they also sent in an ergonomics person to adjust my workstation, buy me new equipment and show me the correct posture I should be in.

4. robie2 profile image78
    robie2posted 16 years ago

Yeah Relache is right--stay off the puter and change the ergonomics. I also found massage and acupuncture helpful. Hope you feel better soon,Jimmy smile

5. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Jimmy - That sux.

RICE

R est

I ce

C ompression

E levation

Works every time. big_smile

6. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

At a recent Hapkido class, they were talking about how they rarely have problems like this or arthritis because they have so much strength in their wrists and hands.  It made me want to take more classes!

7. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 16 years ago

Jimmy! I don't want to be self promotional but try my massage oil on the hub 'Hands On'. I found I was able to get my hand exercises done with a little less pain a couple of years ago.
    My schedule was oil first, excersise, cool down in ice water for a couple of minutes.Then do it all again 4-5 times a day.(Elevate with a pillow while sleeping)
    Hope you try it. Let me know how it goes. regards Zsuzsy

8. Inspirepub profile image73
    Inspirepubposted 16 years ago

Hey, Jimmy, really sorry to hear it.

I had something like that a while back, and a doctor found out my zinc levels were very low. One month on zinc supplements and there was a noticeable difference, six months and the aches were gone.

Zinc is required by the immune system, and it is the immune system going awry which causes the swelling.

But also do what Relache said, and make sure your setup is ergonomic!

Jenny

9. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 16 years ago

Jimmy, I wrote a Hub about why this happens. If it's your mousing hand, it's most probably mousing that's the culprit, not the keyboard.

I recommend you go and see a physiotherapist if you can.  When I had a pain in my wrist, the physio worked out that my biggest problem was in my arm.  Instead of strapping my wrist, she strapped just above and around my elbow.  Oh, the relief!!  GP's have to be jack of all trades, they don't understand this as well as physios do. 

f the exercises are really hurting, there may still be too much inflammation to do a lot of exercise yet anyway.  Lots of ice, anti-inflammatories and NO mousing!

10. Sibaire profile image58
    Sibaireposted 16 years ago

Maybe you shouldn't be on the computer at all Jimmy wink. kind of ironical that you are posting on a computer about a computer related injury you still have. Give it some rest and do the exercises. The exercises may hurt, but they will get easier. I would rather an exercise to hurt rather then to feel nothing, at least when it hurts I know that it is actually doing something big_smile.

11. Bonnie Ramsey profile image67
    Bonnie Ramseyposted 16 years ago

I found something called Colostrum, which is a natural supplment that greatly reduces inflamation has worked miracles for me. I was pretty much disabled from herniated discs in my neck which had so much inflamation that I had a baseball size knot on the back of my neck. I couldn't sit comfortably, lay comfortably and forget standing. I suffered for many years until I started taking it. I saw some relief the very first day, then by the second day was totally pain free. That was almost 2 years ago and have been pain free ever since.

I have literally gotten my life back, including use of my hands and fingers that were severaly effected by artheritis. I can even play on the trampoline with the grandkids again!

No, I don't sell it but probably should as I am a walking testimony of its effects. I do, however tell people about it that has any type of joint or muscle pain since most of the time, the pain and stiffness is due to inflamation.

All it is, is pure bovine colostrum in powder form, which is taken from the cow shortly before or shortly after the birth of a calf. This preserves the purity of the colostrum before it loses its strength. It is a very effective, powerful anti-inflammatory. It is all natural and therefore not a threat to people taking other medications. The only threat to anyone may be if they are lactose intolerant since it is a pure form of colostrum (looks exactly like powdered milk in a clear capsule). Great stuff that I will never be without!

Hope you feel better soon, Jimmy! I spent so many years in terrible pain that I feel for anyone who is in pain, even for a short time!

Bonnie

12. Inspirepub profile image73

I have just realised that I have serious ergonomic challenge reaching my arms around each end of my cat to reach the keyboard ... any OHS consultants in the audience with suggestions?

13. Lissie profile image77
    Lissieposted 16 years ago

Get a dog ?

14. Inspirepub profile image73

LOL

I fed her. It's cheaper.

15. Sibaire profile image58
    Sibaireposted 16 years ago

haha, good idea. But you can't play ball with a cat.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)