How does one lessen strain due to constant computer/ laptop use?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)
  1. rajan jolly profile image92
    rajan jollyposted 12 years ago

How does one lessen strain due to constant computer/ laptop use?

2. shawn002 profile image61
    shawn002posted 12 years ago

using eye protector and use tear drops....

3. PAPA-BEAR profile image60
    PAPA-BEARposted 12 years ago

Take time out every fifteen minutes in 2 hours. Learn The Bates Method a simple self help way to treat your eyes.
    http://savetubevideo.com/?v=pYf_5ChmoVQ

4. thesingernurse profile image72
    thesingernurseposted 12 years ago

Allow at least 15 minutes of rest. Stare somewhere blank or on something pink or green. These colors are refreshing and calm the nerves. Or try closing your eyes for a short while. Being in front of your computer for a long time would also cause your muscles to ache. Better make it a habit to walk at least 2x in an hour for five to ten minutes to loosen up tension in your muscles and to encourage smooth blood flow through out your body.

5. hirundine profile image62
    hirundineposted 12 years ago

Ummm, It is likely glib to say, "do not use it"? Though that would be my immediate solution. I know that it may be hard, depending how one needs to use it? Repetitive strain injury is a serious matter. I would recommend that people consider switching from a laptop to a desktop and/or ipad or tablet. If the use of a computer is so necessary?

Recently, I read of people who now use an iPad as a cash register and whatever else they were needing it for in business, exclusively.

Repetitive strain injury is debilitating,for the immediate sufferer. Also, it will manifest itself later in life. When injury is harder to heal and overcome. I find eye-drops useful; even without the eye strain caused by staring at the screen. Exercise, like walking is so useful and healing, too. The gentle swing of our arms when walking eases tight neck and shoulder muscles and the toning of our bodies core section; through this action which is also our natural environment.

Ensuring that a good diet with the appropriate vitamins; for eyes, brain, nerves and bone structure. These are simple remedies that, if I suffered from the strain of constant laptop use? I would use. I already do.

Lastly, voice recognition is becoming a viable way of using desktop and laptop computers. This is a way for people with limitations around physical use of them and have been for some years now. I think it is what Stephen Hawking uses?

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

Taking a few preventive measures can help you to use your computer without developing repetitive strain and injuries. read more

7. smzclark profile image60
    smzclarkposted 12 years ago

good posture and regularly taking your eyes off the screen...even if only for a few seconds. they say that putting your computer in front of a window where you can look out helps.

8. baygirl33 profile image57
    baygirl33posted 12 years ago

Stop regularly and roll your eyes slowly to the left and right as far as you can.Keep your head straight ahead and look only with your eyes. Do this several times every half hour.
    Also,stare straight ahead and check how much of your pereferal vision you can see without moving your head.  Check as many details as possible.
    Get up and stretch at your desk.Lean back as far as you can while breathing out.Try touching your toes keeping your head down as far as you can and keep your eyes closed for 10 seconds.

9. edhan profile image38
    edhanposted 12 years ago

A break for every half an hour is recommended when anyone is using a computer or laptop.

A good way to relieve the strain eyes will be rubbing both hands together until it is hot and then put it on your eyes. This will have a therapeutic effect on the eyes.

I always do that when I have a tired eyes or my eyes are reddish. It can reduce the redness as well as the tired eyes.

10. Ann810 profile image50
    Ann810posted 12 years ago

Another way to prevent your eyes from straining while using a laptop is to; have lighting behind your computer/laptop screen. Having lighting in front of the screen will eventually cause eye strain.

11. Jackie Lynnley profile image85
    Jackie Lynnleyposted 12 years ago

Use eye drops to lubricate eyes. A safe brand to not cause redness. Look away often to rest from glare.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)