My head hurts from wordpress.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (30 posts)
  1. LarasMama profile image61
    LarasMamaposted 14 years ago

I've decided I need to start a wordpress site - hell this year I'm doing everything. I figured after fifteen years online why on earth am I not doing something to make money?
    Anyway that's beside the point. It's 1am here and my head hurts - just getting to the point where I can set up the site and get a decent theme is confusing (coming from blogger, here!)
    Just wondering if it was this difficult for everyone or if my brain is just a little *not up to date as I thought*.
    smile
    ./rambling

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have wasted countless hours doing the same. Not to worry - eventually you get there.

2. content profile image62
      contentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm actually on a list for someone that is giving a wordpress webinar on Monday.  It goes over step by step video detail on how to set up your wordpress blog for the best SEO.  You can find more info about the webinar at:

http://allbusinesscoaching.com/business … ower-tips/

Hope this is OK.  I'm not promoting my hubs or anything and it would really be useful.   Wordpress is easier to use than you might think.

3. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I know what you mean, I really wish I'd started this earning money online sooner lol

2. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

I totally gave up on wordpress about a month ago. way to hard to figure out for us computer illiterates.

LarasMamaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Glad I'm not the only one. I know basic coding (well enough to put in third columns or do minor tweaks) but wordpress seems to nothing BUT code. LoL!

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 14 years agoin reply to this

@larasMama @ohma well one doesnot need to be well versed in computers for wordpress..i have my own url site which has wordpress..it is simple and good ..can be managed easily..if you guys need any assistance in that just post on forum and i would be glad to assist..i m sure many on hubs might be using wordpress and would help you out..

Well while I have you..... LOL
          I finally found a theme that does what I want without too much tweaking.
          The only problem is that it has a grey button with an elephant on it that says "Subscribe". How do I remove that?
          So far all I can figure out is that it's in the "sidebar.php" file. Any help appreciated!

as you login using admin credentials ..a dashboard would come..on left hand side you would have apperance link..usually 7th on the list..move mouse over that..and click on widget..first see on sidebar whether you can see subscribe thing in it..if yes drag it and that would make it inactive..

now in case you dont see that ..open sidebar.php in editor..do u have dreamweaver?..if not open in notepad..and search this button..remove it manually..if can any difficulty ..let me know..

It wasn't there - don't know why! But I did figure it out. First I opened that particular elephant picture in new tab to get its name (subscribe.png) then I looked for the code that used that and removed that part of the code. It was actually in sideicons.php for some reason.
              Anyway thanks for the help. My brain has had enough. Isn't it funny when you achieve one tiny tweak and feel like it's the biggest thing you've done all day?!
              Anyway bed time for me! smile

going home time for me...good night..

2. Origin profile image61
              Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can just go to the wordpress "theme editor" and select "sidebar.php" on the right-hand side and do a control F to search for keywords, you don't need to use dreamweaver/notepad/wordpad unless your going to the actual file either on your computer's HD or in your FTP.

well i prefer ..copying code on what ever file i edit first..then i do in on server..suppose i forget to close some tag or something gets messed up ..i have copy to restore original..

1. Origin profile image61
                  Originposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just pop open Notepad and copy & paste the current code (unaltered) and use that as my backup so I can work on the website live. When I make the change successfully I copy the changed code into notepad and just save the file in my backups, and I do it by date and backup order (ie, sidebar1, sidebar2, sidebar3, etc).

I suppose everyone has their own methods. big_smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LarasMama, I'm mystified when I see people say this.  I set up all my sites with Wordpress and I do not know how to code.   By all means get fancy with code later if you really want to, but the most important thing is to get your site up and running.

The very first thing you must do is find a theme that meets your needs. 

http://www.themegrade.com/

You want a theme that is "widget ready" - because then you can do EVERYTHING you want to do using plugins.  Every time you want to do something with your site, Google ".... Wordpress plugin" before you try to code, and you'll probably find a plugin that will do it!

Also, if you want three columns, pick a three column theme!  There are plenty out there.  If you want one with a customisable header, pick one with a customisable header.  And so on.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
          Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the theme link, I needed more. It's amazing how 95% of the WP themes out there are horrible!  roll

3. Ohma profile image60
    Ohmaposted 14 years ago

Since you a person who knows basic coding is having trouble imagine being me. If it is not point and click I am lost.

4. Anolinde profile image82
    Anolindeposted 14 years ago

I have recently started a blog with my own domain but using wordpress.  It has the effect on me as well!  What I'm having problems with at the moment is the widgets, though .. but supposedly wordpress is much better for SEO from what I've read and heard!

much better than blogger..all add plugin for seo pack..it would assist you in seo...

1. Anolinde profile image82
        Anolindeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yup.  Done that! smile

5. rebekahELLE profile image87
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

no, you're not the only one. I think I was in tears at one point, it took me forever just to choose the theme! now it's up, but I've barely worked on it at all. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly install a 'share this' plug-in. it says it's installed, but I don't see it.  when I tried to find it, I couldn't.

I have no idea how to get rid of the grey button you refer to. hmm
    sorry. I'll watch this thread for any advice.

6. fresnavee profile image60
    fresnaveeposted 14 years ago

I've never really had a tugh time with Wordpress (Except for the one website I abandoned foreeever ago, recently remembered I had, and then had to do some major renovations because it was hacked).

Then again, I've done stuff with Joomla and just about every CMS system released in the last few years.

If you want some help or need a question answered about Wordpress, feel free to shoot my a message. I'd be glad to help. ^^

7. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 14 years ago

I have many wordpress sites, some made into full stores. You just have to keep at it and slowly figure it all out. One thing that is very important is to look at your site in both FF and IE browsers.

They render the look of WP differently. So you want to be sure they look good in both. IE and FF are the two top browsers that most use.

Let me know if anyone needs help with WP, I know quite a bit about them. smile

8. thisisoli profile image75
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

I do a lot in wordpress.

I think you might be going more in depth than you need to though, since wordpress is set up so you don't have to do much coding.

I always find a theme that is similar to what I want and tehn edit it as per my needs.

9. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

I was really frustrated myself when I first started.  Then I slapped myself for being OCD on the theme.  I found a theme, stuck with it & started writing.  Its worked out great.  I also purchased a book on WordPress which is really helpful.  I do not know how to code & I'm not ready to go there yet.  I'd love to have a custom header using one of my photos, one day I'll figure it out.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
      Bill Manningposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Jane@CM, it is so easy to use your own custom header. All you have to do is upload the picture you want into the images folder of your theme. Then rename the header image to that, which should be found in the header.php file or maybe your style.css file.

Of course you want to make your picture the same size as the header already is. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Bill, you make it sound easy.  I'll give it a try smile  Again, thanks!!!

10. CulinaryFool profile image60
    CulinaryFoolposted 14 years ago

I love WordPress now, but wanted to jump off a bridge when I first started with it. Although I find it pretty easy to use now, it still takes me forever to tweak templates when I first use them.

11. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 14 years ago

I really like Wordpress's interface, much better than Blogger.

12. thisisoli profile image75
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Agreed on wordpress being much better than blogger.  I also fully agree with the fact that Content is worth 10 times more than looks.

It took me two years of creating a load of websites and getting bored by the time it came to writing content to realise I had just wasted two years and only earned a few cents.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)